IGNORED

Interesting View - The Second Tier Podcast

Just following on from our chat at the weekend over what a ‘good performance’ is and how each of us arrives there, the Second Tier podcast think we got it exactly right on Saturday and played a blinder relying on our ability to switch shape and draw upon the resilience Nige has brought with him.

Just interesting how we all see things differently ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

I haven't listened to it before, but am aware their Twitter does have some great posts every now & then!

I find their Twitter way more interesting than their podcast. Neither of them have charisma and it’s just a bit dull really. Much prefer Not the Top 20 for EFL analysis 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

I find their Twitter way more interesting than their podcast. Neither of them have charisma and it’s just a bit dull really. Much prefer Not the Top 20 for EFL analysis 

Agree, Not the Top 20 are the ones to go for IMO. Really knowledgeable guys. 

Personally find the second tier pod a bit lazy (e.g. if a player scores for us 2 weeks in a row it means they're our best player and we're dependent upon him). Not to say they're dreadful, but they do feel a bit more like fans just throwing 'hot takes' out there.

6 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Just want to retract this comment after hearing today’s NTT20 podcast. Their analysis of us was utter bollocks. He said that we were “trying to put enough points on the board to avoid relegation” and “at least they could score enough to win 3-2 as they were abject in attack last season.”

No attempt to actually analyse the game or our improvement this season. **** em - they’re in the bin now!

49 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Just want to retract this comment after hearing today’s NTT20 podcast. Their analysis of us was utter bollocks. He said that we were “trying to put enough points on the board to avoid relegation” and “at least they could score enough to win 3-2 as they were abject in attack last season.”

No attempt to actually analyse the game or our improvement this season. **** em - they’re in the bin now!

Almost as if they don’t have time to watch 60 games on the weekend!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

What you’ll find is they are massively “up the Lg1 promoted clubs”, a sense of needing them to do well because they’ve invested heavily in analysing Lg1, George is an Oxford fan, not sure about Ali.  I like them both to be fair, but they are very bullish about the promoted clubs, but they have fantastic broad knowledge of the EFL.  They won’t be as knowledgeable as a dedicated fan though.

On FBC Ian made the point about how Posh played nice football, whereas Lezz nailed it, they can’t both attack and defend.  They went defensive and got a point v Bournemouth, fair play.  Ferguson set up to attack us and left himself exposed at the back. And we punished them.

We created chances pretty consistently throughout the game.  In xG terms, Peterborough didn’t have a big chance all game.  Still scored two and that’s what counts, but we fashioned 4-5 better chances than their best. 

B561C764-A2B5-4883-85C9-0F0340BB05E4.thumb.jpeg.0d4c818129d8d0aaa1a205a11dcdd52c.jpeg

we don’t even get any xG for the own goal, that Atkinson would’ve scored from had Thompson not headed into his own net.

• Like 1

EFL podcasts are so tricky. I'm not sure anyone has yet cracked how to give fair coverage to 72 teams playing 36 games a weekend whilst also getting enough listeners to make it worthwhile. 

My go to is The Totally Football League Show. Its far from perfect, a bit focused on 8 or so 'big' championship teams, and 2 or 3 from each of L1 and L2. However, they do well to get good interviews with a range of managers, and generally I find it OK to listen to.

Such a tough brief though.