IGNORED

Vixencast #32 - win in the wet against Wearside - out now

shahanshahan

D-M, Nat & myself pick through the absolute joy with City Women's superb 2-1 victory against Championship front-runners Sunderland at an excessively rainy Robins High Performance Centre - also making the only City team to actually win at home this season, so far.

We celebrate the wondrous footballing talents of Brooke Aspin; discuss canny formations and the value of playing the right players in the right position; we wonder if Sunderland (including former Bristol City/Academy legend Grace McCatty) had an off day but also savour a fantastic team performance that has left all Bristol City supporters buzzing.

Links to listen/follow HERE.
If you'd like, please follow on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram to help with our numbers (especially FB!)

Preview(?) below

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

I think the number of replies to this posting tells you all you kneed to know about the interest the average poster on this site has for the bcfc womens team, there is only so many times you can flog a dead horse, sorry if this seems harsh but it's the truth. 

Edited by pillred
punctuation
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, pillred said:

I think the number of replies to this posting tells you all you kneed to know about the interest the average poster on this site has for the bcfc womens team, there is only so many times you can flog a dead horse, sorry if this seems harsh but it's the truth. 

Why did you feel the need to post this??

I could go into how frequently the men’s team podcast topics get minimal interaction, and that it doesn’t mean it’s not being listened to and I could go on but that would be adding too much credence to your post which is just best labelled under misogyny and we all move on as some can’t be helped 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

I could go into how frequently the men’s team podcast topics get minimal interaction, and that it doesn’t mean it’s not being listened to and I could go on but that would be adding too much credence to your post which is just best labelled under misogyny and we all move on as some can’t be helped 

Not misogyny at all, have been happily married for over 36 years, look I have watched and enjoyed many games involving the England women's team and think some of the play and skill level is very good but until women themselves show any interest in attending matches the game at women's level will always be of minority interest sorry if that upsets you but that's just the way it is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Not misogyny at all, have been happily married for over 36 years, look I have watched and enjoyed many games involving the England women's team and think some of the play and skill level is very good but until women themselves show any interest in attending matches the game at women's level will always be of minority interest sorry if that upsets you but that's just the way it is.

I'm not sure anyone would argue that it isn't a minority interest, however the podcast and other discussions on social media show it's a growing part of the sport, and one we all agreed would share a little bit of space on Otib.

Nowadays, girls routinely play football at school - in my youth, not at all.  I can only see women's football continuing to grow (and improve) in the future.

Edited by Red-Robbo

11 hours ago, pillred said:

I think overall you're probably right and that there is relatively little interest in the women's team compared to the men's. 

For that to change, and it won't happen overnight, there does need to be people like @shahanshahanpushing it. 

• Like 7
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, pillred said:

Being happily married for 36 years doesn’t really mean anything in this context. Liking the company of a woman or indeed marrying one does not mean you are not a misogynist, nor does your original post say you personally are per say, however your post was, along with being condescending and dismissive, and surely utterly pointless in its purpose.

Your post doesn’t upset me, it makes me angry however it does upset me that woman’s sport does not get the same coverage as men’s.

“That’s just the way it is” is such a half arsed lazy cop out 

it is the way it is because woman have been subjugated and suppressed by men for centuries and denied the same opportunities. Even as recently as the 50’s woman’s football attracted the same, if not more crowds but was shut down by the FA. Not because of lack of popularity but presumably because men did not like it and felt threatened and considered it not their place.

what a crock of shit, and for people to still be ignorant to these matters and not be encouraging is a disgrace and should be held accountable as such.

plenty of woman and girls go to men and woman’s football and more will continue to start going if it is made more accessible, accepting and encouraged by society.

none of these things anyone should have a problem with surely? But you do? You must do to have felt it necessary to write this crap

Edited by Fjmcity

13 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Being happily married for 36 years doesn’t really mean anything in this context. Liking the company of a woman or indeed marrying one does not mean you are not a misogynist, nor does your original post say you personally are per say, however your post was, along with being condescending and dismissive, and surely utterly pointless in its purpose.

Your post doesn’t upset me, it makes me angry however it does upset me that woman’s sport does not get the same coverage as men’s.

it is the way it is because woman have been subjugated and suppressed by men for centuries and denied the same opportunities. Even as recently as the 50’s woman’s football attracted the same, if not more crowds but was shut down by the FA. Not because of lack of popularity but presumably because men did not like it and felt threatened and considered it not their place.

what a crock of shit, and for people to still be ignorant to these matters and not be encouraging is a disgrace and should be held accountable as such.

plenty of woman and girls go to men and woman’s football and more will continue to start going if it is made more accessible, accepting and encouraged by society.

none of these things anyone should have a problem with surely? But you do? You must do to have felt it necessary to write this crap

Just ignore him it's obvious what kind of bloke he is. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

Just ignore him it's obvious what kind of bloke he is. 

And your a bit of a pratt as well if you come to that conclusion without knowing anything about me, the truth is and always will be very few people are interested in watching women's football and no amount of pc and wokery will ever change that, the attendances at the games even at the top level are very poor and to think that will ever change is delusional.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm not sure anyone would argue that it isn't a minority interest, however the podcast and other discussions on social media show it's a growing part of the sport, and one we all agreed would share a little bit of space on Otib.

Nowadays, girls routinely play football at school - in my youth, not at all.  I can only see women's football continuing to grow (and improve) in the future.

I don't disagree and think it's great that women and girls play football, it's just that however much it's pushed as a spectator sport it will always be watched by mostly friends and family the figures for the bcfc women's team  bear this out and that is the last thing I will say on this subject.

Edited by pillred
punctuation
  • Confused 1

And your a bit of a pratt as well if you come to that conclusion without knowing anything about me, the truth is and always will be very few people are interested in watching women's football and no amount of pc and wokery will ever change that, the attendances at the games even at the top level are very poor and to think that will ever change is delusional.  

A propos prats - unless you are referring to the act (verb) of hitting somebody on the backside, the noun that suggests somebody is stupid is prat, i.e. it only has one letter T. 

Still on the subject of prats, you might to look up the difference between your and you're.

It occurs to me that, as you seem to consider women (footballers) as somehow insignificant, inferior even, you might try and find a nice (female) teacher to help you with your English.   

Whether or not @shahanshahan and their mates do a podcast or make a thread on here has nothing to do with the popularity of the women's game.

The club have decided to run a women's football team. Therefore Bristol City Women's is a part of the club.  The football club. Same as the u23s, the walking football team, the disabled team etc. 

As such it's more than appropriate have threads in this forum in which those who want to talk about it can do so.

For my part - I don't watch the women's team, and with apologies to the people behind it, I don't listen to Vixencast. But those that do - fair play and crack on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A propos prats - unless you are referring to the act (verb) of hitting somebody on the backside, the noun that suggests somebody is stupid is prat, i.e. it only has one letter T. 

Still on the subject of prats, you might to look up the difference between your and you're.

It occurs to me that, as you seem to consider women (footballers) as somehow insignificant, inferior even, you might try and find a nice (female) teacher to help you with your English.   

And you my friend are another that has made assumption about somebody that they know nothing about, a awful lot of preconceptions based on me not finding women's football very interesting and your and you're stop showing off you pompous tw.*t

And you my friend are another that has made assumption about somebody that they know nothing about, a awful lot of preconceptions based on me not finding women's football very interesting and your and you're stop showing off you pompous tw.*t

Not pompous at all; I merely found it ironic that, in the seven words you used to accuse a fellow poster of being stupid, one of the words was grammatically incorrect and another was a spelling mistake ?.

You state that you have no interest in women’s football, and that is fine: you are not the only one and, for what it is worth, when next I come back to Bristol I can assure you that I shall not be visiting Failand to watch Bristol City Ladies.

But that is not the point; neither will I be posting on this forum or, indeed, anywhere else to denigrate women’s football.

There are a lot of people who enjoy women’s football, some, perhaps most as you suggest, friends and relatives, but why would you seek to post to try and put it down?

My youngest daughter played football for many years and, frankly, the standard was quite atrocious - despite my occasional coaching ?.

Nevertheless, as a devoted father, I drove her to each midweek training session and Saturday morning match and, of course, cheered and encouraged her and her teammates incessantly.

There are several posters on this forum who enjoy watching and supporting City’s women’s team: leave them to it without feeling you need to criticise the  (undoubtedly) inferior standard.

On a related subject, you have also questioned why it might be considered good news to have a female team officiating England’s forthcoming match.

In these days of equality, do you not think it might be helpful to all parties involved to assist and encourage female referees to improve their standards?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

when next I come back to Bristol I can assure you that I shall not be visiting Failand to watch Bristol City Ladies.

There are a lot of people who enjoy women’s football, some, perhaps most as you suggest, friends and relatives, 

My youngest daughter played football for many years and, frankly, the standard was quite atrocious - 

There are several posters on this forum who enjoy watching and supporting City’s women’s team: leave them to it without feeling you need to criticise the  (undoubtedly) inferior standard.

Phil, you say, 'I can assure you I will not be watching Bristol City Ladies', ' perhaps most who do are friends and relatives', the standard (of your daughter's team) was quite atrocious', City's women's team... undoubtedly inferior standard.

You appear to be telling off pillred for imo very mild comments, and yet you seem to have at least as equally a low opinion of women's football as him, if not even lower judging from your respective posts on this thread.

• Thanks 1

On 07/10/2021 at 00:18, Fjmcity said:

Why would you feel the need to 'label' someone, or their posts?

On the basis of what pillred actually wrote your labelling of him as a mysogynist is complete nonsense.

Actually, it's more than just nonsense - it's a really unpleasant and nasty accusation, made with no foundation whatsoever, that perhaps you should retract?

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Why would you feel the need to 'label' someone, or their posts?

On the basis of what pillred actually wrote your labelling of him as a mysogynist is complete nonsense.

Actually, it's more than just nonsense - it's a really unpleasant and nasty accusation, made with no foundation whatsoever, that perhaps you should retract?

Actually very careful in that post and the follow up post NOT to call him a misogynist (as I don’t know the poster) but to suggest that the post was, or indeed the implied nature was misogynistic.

it is not unpleasant or nasty to call out people undermining equality. If he has no interest in woman’s football, that is absolutely fine, just don’t post about it in a way that undermines it.

Edited by Fjmcity

*logs back into OTIB for the first time in a while*

Thanks for the supportive comments, everyone. Initially, I post everytime the podcast has a new episode out (other podcasts, or people from them, do the same), so am not expecting many replies after that.

Part of the reason I joined OTIB was, as well as being a fan of City men since the 2000s, I also wanted to discuss more about City Women, especially as the existing thread on here didn't have as much activity since I started posting in it. I've also started writing for the OTIB fanzine on the team as well.

I contribute to posts about City men too, but a lot of the time whatever opinion I have may have already been said by someone else. And while there is more of a one club mentality going around, it's up to the fans to get involved in that as well.

If you don't follow the women's team, then I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to any posts I make about them, or the podcast either. Hope that clarifies a few things ?

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

*logs back into OTIB for the first time in a while*

Thanks for the supportive comments, everyone. Initially, I post everytime the podcast has a new episode out (other podcasts, or people from them, do the same), so am not expecting many replies after that.

Part of the reason I joined OTIB was, as well as being a fan of City men since the 2000s, I also wanted to discuss more about City Women, especially as the existing thread on here didn't have as much activity since I started posting in it. I've also started writing for the OTIB fanzine on the team as well.

I contribute to posts about City men too, but a lot of the time whatever opinion I have may have already been said by someone else. And while there is more of a one club mentality going around, it's up to the fans to get involved in that as well.

If you don't follow the women's team, then I wouldn't expect anyone to respond to any posts I make about them, or the podcast either. Hope that clarifies a few things ?

Keep up the good work @shahanshahan. Some of us appreciate your enthusiasm and personally I think it is important to foster a ‘one club’ culture. 

• Like 3

On 07/10/2021 at 12:42, Fjmcity said:

There`s a really interesting documentary out there somewhere about Dick Kerr Ladies who were at one time one of the best supported teams in the country.

15 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Phil, you say, 'I can assure you I will not be watching Bristol City Ladies', ' perhaps most who do are friends and relatives', the standard (of your daughter's team) was quite atrocious', City's women's team... undoubtedly inferior standard.

You appear to be telling off pillred for imo very mild comments, and yet you seem to have at least as equally a low opinion of women's football as him, if not even lower judging from your respective posts on this thread.

My argument was not about the quality of women's football, rather the derogatory comments being made about it.

A lot of people devote a lot of time and expense in supporting women's football, and I am sure they recognise that it is inferior to men's football.

Nevertheless, I fail to see why somebody would want to post to criticise it: if you don't like it, that is fine, but don't knock those who do. 

20 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There`s a really interesting documentary out there somewhere about Dick Kerr Ladies who were at one time one of the best supported teams in the country.

Yep, one of the biggest teams before the FA introduced the ban on women's football in 1921, and wasn't lifted until 1971. This year is the 50th anniversary of the ban being lifted

22 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Keep up the good work @shahanshahan. Some of us appreciate your enthusiasm and personally I think it is important to foster a ‘one club’ culture. 

Thank you!

• Like 1