IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

Silvio Dante

35 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I still remember all those on here telling us that Warnock will get a tune out of him and show Johnson how to use a player like him. A succession of all old school Managers have all failed equally to do any better than LJ did with him.

True, but where Warnock differed from LJ was he got him out of the squad and out of the way much sooner, and so Tomlin did not de-rail their season, like he did here in 16/17. It's a subtle difference but a substantial one.

Cardiff with Tomlin managed by Warnock finished 2nd and went up; City with Tomlin managed by LJ finished 17th and only were certain of staying up after the 45th game. 

It wasn't until April and the 41st game, and after a nonsense of a press conference in which we were told there was no problem just supporter "noise," that LJ was ready to accept he couldn't "manage" Tomlin like every other manager, and he dropped him from even the bench and picked Taylor and team unity instead.

Then the record signing was sold that summer, one year into his contract.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

As if to prove the point, it was Neil Harris who had him playing by far his best football at Cardiff. Warnock couldn't get him going and it sounds like McCarthy has barely tried to.

How far in to his contact was Tomlin when he was managed by Harris, though? Just had a look and Cardiff extended Tomlin's contract on 10 Jan this year, and Harris was fired eleven days later. It's worth noting that Tomlin would've seen LJ fired at any other club than this one with this owner, on the run we were on in winter 16/17. 

12 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

How far in to his contact was Tomlin when he was managed by Harris, though? Just had a look and Cardiff extended Tomlin's contract on 10 Jan this year, and Harris was fired eleven days later. It's worth noting that Tomlin would've seen LJ fired at any other club than this one with this owner, on the run we were on in winter 16/17. 

Sackable offence obviously

I don't really dislike him, a/ because that goal where he flicked the ball to spin in the air then smashed the volley top bag was one of the best I've seen live, and b/ I was shocked and delighted when we got a lot of our money back by selling him which I thought was very unlikely. 

27 minutes ago, bris red said:

That has got to be the last of the big contracts for Tomlin I’d imagine. I hope the guy has invested wisely as the days of him getting £25k plus a week will now surely be gone.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that he hasn't. He doesn't come across as being particularly bright, nor the type to listen to sensible advice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Could see him and Joey getting on just fine...

He lives in Leicester. That was part of the problem here and at Cardiff. He was commuting 6 hours a day as not prepared to move.

He isn't prepared to put committment to a club by moving. Sadly I believe his career is probably over unless he finds a local club.

Don't think his head or his heart is in it to be a professional footballer. What a waste of a talent.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mozo said:

I don't really dislike him, a/ because that goal where he flicked the ball to spin in the air then smashed the volley top bag was one of the best I've seen live, and b/ I was shocked and delighted when we got a lot of our money back by selling him which I thought was very unlikely. 

I feel exactly the same. That goal was outrageous and probably the best I have seen live but I was very happy we recouped the money for him when we did especially to Cardiff who thought they'd bagged a bargain at the time.

• Like 1