IGNORED

Dave Rennie Interview

Gazred

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/fitter-faster-stronger-the-city-way/

Really interesting watch.

Goes into some detail regarding fitness programs, loading and injury prevention. Some interesting graphs showing improvement on last season in there as well.

Certainly inspires confidence that the players fitness and performance is in good hands.

Worth 15 mins of your time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Goes into some detail regarding fitness programs, loading and injury prevention. Some interesting graphs showing improvement on last season in there as well.

Certainly inspires confidence that the players fitness and performance is in good hands.

Graphs? @Davefevsis going to be all over this

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Gazred said:

We’re in good hands at last …

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dave when he sees the first post of this thread:

F290CABE-7CFC-46EE-82A2-D05CD42CDAB9.jpeg

… as will @Davefevs be very soon. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Thought the same as well, on the point of the box plot graphs it shows good progress, especially on the hamstring metric as well.

Hopefully puts us in a good place later on in the season when we typically fizzle off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

image.thumb.png.5b685f8b46249de8bf97fb9e40e33ed9.png

Would not have thought Nige was the kind of guy to tolerate Comic Sans being used at the Club...but yet here we all are.

Pretty disappointing that you can’t click on the dots to see which player is which!!! ???

Was only recently I mentioned box plots and whiskers and here they are!

Comic Sans is unforgivable though.

• Like 1

I’m only asking the question, but what are peoples opinions of our current injury situation?

Im not a physio so just asking an honest question. Are they different kinds of injury to last year? Is 7/8 out injured normal for a championship team? 

Edited by 054123

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I’m only asking the question, but what are peoples opinions of our current injury situation?

Im not a physio so just asking an honest question. Are they different kinds of injury to last year? Is 7/8 out injured normal for a championship team? 

Biggest issue last year was the rehab and reintroduction of injured players. Essentially we seemed to rehab poorly, and reintroduce too early, and so we had players get recurring or new injuries. Williams probable the most egregious example.

This season, and I note that the season is just 11 league games old, we seem to be doing better in this regard. Williams came back, got a knock in the FGR game, and then was managed back so that now (touch wood) he seems able to play consistently. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Nor me.  My gut feel is that we are being really cautious when players do get injuries.

I wasn’t all-in on Rolls being negligent like some, although I do subscribe to the view that they got pre-season wrong last summer.  Orme admitted as such, and that caused lots of probs.

You are always gonna get injuries, contact and muscle, it’s the nature of the game.

For me the proof will be two things:

- length of time out

- re-occurrence or not

Its easy to look at O’Dowda (contact injury on opening day) and see 7 league games missed (not in 18), but we’ve also been told that he didn’t make the 18 despite being available according to Nige, so it’s more like 5 games.

With Williams they’ve taken it steady after FGR where he suffered a set-back, but they look like they’ve got it right getting him through 25+ mins off the bench v Fulham, 65+ v Millwall where he cramped up to 90+ v Peterborough all within a week.

So, early days, but encouraging signs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strength and power ( ..and speed) how long have some of us been shouting that out as being key physical attributes for this league. Music to my ears.

Just a little bit concerned though about the increasing level of our injuries and on-field delivery of the benefits. Some games we’ve looked leggy and Atkinson’s recovery runs remind me of Flint sometimes. The likes of Bakinson clearly needs to be switched on to ‘full power mode’  before he enters the field of play.

Early days though and the direction of travel set by Big Nige appears fine. 

The number of injuries isn't the question, you take each injury in isolation and look how it happened etc, look at Conway for example, a freak incident of landing the wrong way after jumping. You're very lucky if you go through a season without a bunch of injuries occurring at once in a squad. Everything Rennie's talking about with test scores all being higher than last season can only be good. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

IIRC it was roughly this time last season that the wheels started coming off. The injuries began to compound and we began a death spiral that ultimately saw Holden et al depart.

We lost Williams, Watkins and Baker pre-season (Walsh was injured pre-Covid return). We barely saw them all season, a few apps each.

We lost Mawson long term v Middlesbrough (game 6).  He returned (game 23) but then crocked again (game 28).

We lost Sessegnon and Weimann long term v Swansea (Game 7), Kalas returned from collarbone that game having been injured in cup v Northampton.

Nagy, Dasilva and O’Dowda started to return at this point.

Paterson was then struggling by game 13.  Dasilva season over by game 16 and Brunt by game 19, subsequently calling time on his career.  O’Dowda had a Boxing Day (game 21) to forget.

Chris Martin got to Derby (game 26) before his season over.

• Thanks 1

What an insightful interview - so very different from last season under Rolls. I can see why Rennie was wanted by Nige having formed  a formidable pair with him at Leicester.

It really is terrific to see our club being run by well established professionals at long last - long overdue I might add.

The more I think about it the more angry I feel at the shambles created by Ashton and LJ……but I have to “accept the things that I cannot change”……….:dunno:

• Like 6

There were a couple of things that Rennie mentioned that I had to google. I therefore present a brief glossary that may be of use to others:

Posterior Chain - The posterior chain refers to all the muscles on the backside of the body from the back of your head all the way down to your heels, including your hamstrings, glutes, calves, lats, rotator cuff muscles, and erector spinae muscles (the muscles that run down either side of your spine).

KBox - The kBox is a series of premium devices for flywheel training, based on sound scientific support. The latest generation of the kBox comes in three different models, namely the kBox4 Active, kBox4 Lite and kBox4 Pro. https://exxentric.com/products/kbox/

cb-kbox4-active.jpg

Nordic - Kneel down, cross your arms over your chest, get your Mrs to hold your ankles, then lean forward whilst holding your body (from the knee up) dead straight. Ludicrously hard.

RDL - I assume he means a Romanian Deadlift. Get a nice big Olympic bar, stick about 40kg or more on each end. Wide grip, stand tall, slight bend in the knee and lower the bar down to half way down your shin, keeping it close to your shins as you do so and sticking your arse out. Cracking hamstring strengthener. Everyone should do them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2