IGNORED

Dave Rennie Interview

Gazred

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The only one I understood was the posterior chain!  Never seen or heard of the Nordic before - looks easy but I’m sure it’s not.

It’s definitely not easy especially to stay in position and go as low as the players do before dropping

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty disappointing that you can’t click on the dots to see which player is which!!! ???

Was only recently I mentioned box plots and whiskers and here they are!

Comic Sans is unforgivable though.

That's what I thought I wanted to know who the outliers were on the robustness plots.  We could have had a side bet on that.

5 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I just watched the video and Rennie has an air about him that just seems to command respect. Softly spoken and knowledgeable, but I wouldn't want to be the player who didn't do the work he was being asked to do by Rennie.

Have you noticed the slightly sinister smile / half-chuckle when he mentions how hard training is.  Love it! ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Well done the club and media team for giving these insights. It really does help get us, the fans on side too.Building that connection. The interview itself is fascinating for someone looking in like me. I'm sure it is the same at many clubs, but it does look like we are increasing our levels  in this area. All part of the set up needed to get us to the Prem.  As DR explained in the Prem you have to have explosive power. We might not yet have the players in the squad, but at least in this area we actually now know the requirements for a Prem football side. Big progress. This side will get better and better this season. 

PS There is one player clearly miles off both in pre season and now in terms of performance if you look at the graphs. Britton ? 

Don’t think Louis has been part of the pre-season 1st team training squad….so I don’t know if he went through the same regime or not.  Nige has mentioned he wouldn’t be able to handle the intensity of first team training.

I hope Louis takes it all on board.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t think Louis has been part of the pre-season 1st team training squad….so I don’t know if he went through the same regime or not.  Nige has mentioned he wouldn’t be able to handle the intensity of first team training.

I hope Louis takes it all on board.

Yep, Nige said fairly recently that Britton “isn’t Championship fit” which may say more about Britton’s attitude than anything else.

If LB wants to feature in the first team squad then he seriously needs to increase his fitness or ‘loading’ stats.

Edited by Robbored

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Yep, Nige said fairly recently that Britton “isn’t Championship fit” which may say more about Britton’s attitude than anything else.

If LB wants to feature in the first team squad then he seriously needs to increase his fitness or ‘loading’ stats.

I'm not sure I agree there RR.

I think he is referring to him not being robust enough / physically mature enough. In my experience that is something that can be nurtured over a spell of time if managed properly. My feeling is that if Nige feels / felt that Britton had a questionable attitude then he'd have no future at City in any case.

• Like 1

Must agree one of the most insightful interview the club have put out.  Again it was reinforced how much the player are expected to get fully involved in their training, and the see how they compare with each other.  Team not individual's seems to be the  message, long may it last.

• Like 1

⬇️⬇️⬇️

14 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I'm not sure I agree there RR.

I think he is referring to him not being robust enough / physically mature enough. In my experience that is something that can be nurtured over a spell of time if managed properly. My feeling is that if Nige feels / felt that Britton had a questionable attitude then he'd have no future at City in any case.

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s playing catch-up.

16 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Cundy ? Doubt it would be anyone that plays . 

….and he was coming back from injury too.  Like Britton, another “late to the pro-game” and much older too.

8 hours ago, CiderJar said:

I just watched the video and Rennie has an air about him that just seems to command respect. Softly spoken and knowledgeable, but I wouldn't want to be the player who didn't do the work he was being asked to do by Rennie.

I'm amazed that nobody came back to me with

"I didn't get where I am today without doing the work I was asked to do by Dr Rennie"
    "Yes CJ. Sorry CJ"

"My sentence construction is not at it's best at 5am"
    "Yes CJ"

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s playing catch-up.

….and he was coming back from injury too.  Like Britton, another “late to the pro-game” and much older too.

What age is Britton? around 20/21 at a guess. He’s not a boy anymore and if he applies himself 100% to the fitness regime he’ll beef up in much the same way HNM has - that’s why I questioned his attitude.

That said I take the point that he’s someway behind the others in terms of previous training.

Could we’ll be a case of “watch this space”

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What age is Britton? around 20/21 at a guess. He’s not a boy anymore and if he applies himself 100% to the fitness regime he’ll beef up in much the same way HNM has - that’s why I questioned his attitude.

That said I take the point that he’s someway behind the others in terms of previous training.

"Louis Sidney Britton (born 17 March 2001) is an English professional footballer who plays as a forward for Bristol City."
Wikipedia

Edited by CiderJar
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Have you seen Britton?  It’s not beefing up that’s needed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have you seen Britton?  It’s not beefing up that’s needed.

Absolutely, some people seem to equate fitness to size, but as Rennie explains there is so much more to it than that. The "explosiveness" required to be at a top level is harder to come by. A good example I can think of in another sport was Frank Bruno, his coach said that because he had not been taught properly as a youngster, he had to work really hard at teaching him to use all of his body when punching. He said that if he could get him to use all of his power, no one in first 3 rows around the ring would be safe. Also he compensated for that lack of technique by adding so much muscle that it was hard for him to deliver combination punches over multiple rounds, due to the amount of oxygen required, which in turn made him vulnerable to a good punch himself. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely, some people seem to equate fitness to size, but as Rennie explains there is so much more to it than that. The "explosiveness" required to be at a top level is harder to come by. A good example I can think of in another sport was Frank Bruno, his coach said that because he had not been taught properly as a youngster, he had to work really hard at teaching him to use all of his body when punching. He said that if he could get him to use all of his power, no one in first 3 rows around the ring would be safe. Also he compensated for that lack of technique by adding so much muscle that it was hard for him to deliver combination punches over multiple rounds, due to the amount of oxygen required, which in turn made him vulnerable to a good punch himself. 

My uneducated view of things like your Bruno example is how I view David James (pre-City)….he became so “ripped” I thought he lost agility.

Just like Massengo, looking more muscly on post-Covid return, but looked a bit heavy legged, whilst still adjusting to his new frame.

I think you understand this stuff far better than me from previous posts on the subject.

• Like 1

As an aside, that’s a really odd photo in the background.  It’s one half the Lansdown stand and one half the old Williams stand with the Golden Virginia tabocco ad, except the stand looks far too big to be the Williams.

Who are  the figures in front of the dug out? which also looks like it’s from yesteryear.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nor me.  My gut feel is that we are being really cautious when players do get injuries.

I wasn’t all-in on Rolls being negligent like some, although I do subscribe to the view that they got pre-season wrong last summer.  Orme admitted as such, and that caused lots of probs.

You are always gonna get injuries, contact and muscle, it’s the nature of the game.

For me the proof will be two things:

- length of time out

- re-occurrence or not

Its easy to look at O’Dowda (contact injury on opening day) and see 7 league games missed (not in 18), but we’ve also been told that he didn’t make the 18 despite being available according to Nige, so it’s more like 5 games.

With Williams they’ve taken it steady after FGR where he suffered a set-back, but they look like they’ve got it right getting him through 25+ mins off the bench v Fulham, 65+ v Millwall where he cramped up to 90+ v Peterborough all within a week.

So, early days, but encouraging signs.

Rolls is obviously a trained professional so I don't believe he was as negligent as people say but, as you say, things obviously went wrong last season. For me the major alarm bell last season wasn't just the number of injuries but the number of times players got injuries that, on the face of it, seemed minor and likely to lead to a couple of weeks out but where the return times just seems to extend. Williams and Walsh, in particular, seemed to be initially ruled out for four to five games and ultimately missed the bulk of the season.

Clearly we'll never know what went on behind the scenes but, exactly like you, I'm less worried about the number of individual injuries as the amount of time players miss and the number of times an injury recurs. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Malago said:

As an aside, that’s a really odd photo in the background.  It’s one half the Lansdown stand and one half the old Williams stand with the Golden Virginia tabocco ad, except the stand looks far too big to be the Williams.

Who are  the figures in front of the dug out? which also looks like it’s from yesteryear.

It's the mural under the Lansdown Stand, the full thing shows how that area of the ground has developed over the years, it's really well done.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Rolls is obviously a trained professional so I don't believe he was as negligent as people say but, as you say, things obviously went wrong last season. For me the major alarm bell last season wasn't just the number of injuries but the number of times players got injuries that, on the face of it, seemed minor and likely to lead to a couple of weeks out but where the return times just seems to extend. Williams and Walsh, in particular, seemed to be initially ruled out for four to five games and ultimately missed the bulk of the season.

Clearly we'll never know what went on behind the scenes but, exactly like you, I'm less worried about the number of individual injuries as the amount of time players miss and the number of times an injury recurs. 

I read that Rolls had a similar injury list when at Arsenal…..two clubs that had the same issue?………….:cool2:

Be no surprise if the same injury list starts to happen at Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

My uneducated view of things like your Bruno example is how I view David James (pre-City)….he became so “ripped” I thought he lost agility.

Just like Massengo, looking more muscly on post-Covid return, but looked a bit heavy legged, whilst still adjusting to his new frame.

I think you understand this stuff far better than me from previous posts on the subject.

If you saw me Dave you would know that it's a subject I have an interest in but have constantly failed to apply to my own development.☺️

Regarding the difference between Rolls and Rennie, the biggest thing sounded like the way he works recovery. Rolls often spoke about "easing people back" where as Rennie talks about applying the same high intensity to recovery as they do to training. 

To my mind Rolls approach sounds like the sort of approach one would apply to a normal person off the street, Rennie's is taking into account the superior overall fitness of elite athletes.

Edited by Port Said Red

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I read that Rolls had a similar injury list when at Arsenal…..two clubs that had the same issue?………….:cool2:

Be no surprise if the same injury list starts to happen at Ipswich.

For about the 26th time, Rolls wasn't head of department at Arsenal and therefore didn't set the regime 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, there is nothing to suggest that Britton’s attitude is poor….but his fitness is.  He’s come from Mangotsfield Utd, so not been through Academy full-time training until he joined here.  His 30 months here will have improved his fitness but he’s

Let’s cut Louis some slack as got injured in last u23 game v Brum and wasn’t at Loughborough due to it.  Had to start behind everyone else & fitness improving by the day but agree it needs to improve and is.   Why people suggest attitude issues is beyond me without any knowledge.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Let’s cut Louis some slack as got injured in last u23 game v Brum and wasn’t at Loughborough due to it.  Had to start behind everyone else & fitness improving by the day but agree it needs to improve and is.   Why people suggest attitude issues is beyond me without any knowledge.

So agree.

• Like 1