IGNORED

A Saudi Arabian takeover of Newcastle United is close to being agreed.

Jerseybean

I find it highly amusing their fans seem to think now they've got all this money all the top players will suddenly want to sign - I know money talks but these players are likely to have their pick of the top clubs in the Premier League and they are more likely to win something at say a Liverpool or Man City.

They will end up with the ones those clubs don't want, or has-beens after a last pay day.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, miser said:

I've seen a quote in the media that they have the funds to buy Messi or Mbappe, not that they  would want to come. They'll just go way down the celebrity list and pay way over the odds to get a name.

I have a feeling the clubs selling the players are gonna make Newcastle pay way over the odds for anyone they go for 

31 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I find it highly amusing their fans seem to think now they've got all this money all the top players will suddenly want to sign - I know money talks but these players are likely to have their pick of the top clubs in the Premier League and they are more likely to win something at say a Liverpool or Man City.

They will end up with the ones those clubs don't want, or has-beens after a last pay day.

Ibrahimovic ?

2 hours ago, !james said:

Read the sentence at the bottom of the "breaking news" ?

*Paddy Power’s breaking news coverage is 100% fake news. And that’s the truth.**

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

A real show of strength from the Geordies, the fact Messi was a boyhood Newcastle fan must have helped. I remember seeing him once In Barcelona with a Jimmy Nail album tucked under his arm, that should have been a clue.

His Mum sent him to sleep as a baby by singing the geordie lullaby, Blaydon Races. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TwoSheds said:

Must be a wind up, did make me smile Steve Bruce hit on the head with a cabbage, then a national day of mourning in Argentina. If the rumours are true Steve getting the sack this weekend. Looks like they have lined up Fat Frank. 

Some hearsay about lining up Antonio Conte for the job too.....

16 hours ago, Redstart said:

Just read on Sky that if Bruce is relieved of his duties prior to the weekend as expected, he's due about £8m in compensation. ?

Wae aye man! 

I think that should read "Steve Bruce is relieved." 

Couple of interesting articles in the Guardian.

While I welcome the move itself, to outright block RPTs would be anti competitive etc.

However imposition and doing so swiftly and correctly of Fair Market value assessments for FFP purposes. Well it should already take place as a matter of course but if they're going to reinforce it all well and good.

How it could be done, benchmarked in practice is a different debate.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/18/premier-league-clubs-vote-to-block-newcastle-sponsorship-deals-at-emergency-meeting

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/19/premier-league-clubs-v-newcastle-inside-the-stunning-emergency-vote

Edited by Mr Popodopolous