IGNORED

good news all female officials for Andorra v England

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

if they are the best available then fair enough, if not it’s just a tick in a box exercise which i rather feel it is.

I'm sure they are good enough else they wouldn't get the gig, lets face it some of the male officials aren't brilliant. The only way they will improve is to officiate at the highest level.

Who knows it may stop the disrespect usually shown to male officials.

Good luck to them and lets hope every decision is not investigated under the microscope because they are women.

• Like 1

I'm surprised we haven't seen this more often. There is no reason at all why a women official should not be as physically fit or as knowledgeable about the laws of the game than their male counterparts. Put aside the old jokes about explaining the offside rule to a woman, there are many in the game who could readily explain it to us. The point made by others about respect towards the officials could also be relevant. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Slightly off topic but I was quite surprised to read today that in American Football there is no rule in the game that says that NFL teams can't be mixed.

It hasn't happened yet but there are apparently a few mixed teams at lower levels.

Is there a rule in football that women can't play in a mens team?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Good question. I have no idea.

It would be cool to see it. 

Edit: I seem to remember there is a rule at junior levels that bans mixed teams from a certain age but I don't know if that applies all the way up. I think it does though.

Edited by Midlands Robin

• Admin
4 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s a step toward equality for female officials. Good news in my book!

Agreed, it's good news in the senses female officials are making higher standards of refereeing 

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

aint you ever seen not the 9 o clock news..

This shows how long ago this kind of comment was seen as being funny.... Decades ago! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

And I’m disagreeing with you, and saying it IS good news. That’s all ?

Oh, Mr Disagreeable :laugh:! ?

I'll certainly be intrigued to see how they get on and I'm sure they'll do just fine.

Edited by CiderCraig
Can't spell Oh correctly!

10 hours ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Yes, the FA won't allow from something like twelve or fourteen because of the danger of injury.

Every so often there is a local news story on this where a girl had had to give up football on reaching twelve or whatever because their school has no women's football team.

It's a shame for the girl but the rule makes sense; it would have been bad enough as a bloke to have Norman Hunter crashing into you.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, the FA won't allow from something like twelve or fourteen because of the danger of injury.

Every so often there is a local news story on this where a girl had had to give up football on reaching twelve or whatever because their school has no women's football team.

It's a shame for the girl but the rule makes sense; it would have been bad enough as a bloke to have Norman Hunter crashing into you.

Norman Hunter????

Girls can play in boys football up to under 16.  It's younger for rugby I believe. It's probably less to do with injury than other reasons. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

Good question. I have no idea.

It would be cool to see it. 

Edit: I seem to remember there is a rule at junior levels that bans mixed teams from a certain age but I don't know if that applies all the way up. I think it does though.

Mixed football? I hope you don't mean at a top level, as they just wouldn't be able to compete at that level.

There is literally no reason why female refs should be any different to male refs.  I would not be surprised if in a few years there are some at the very top of the game.  They apply the rules of the game and certain characteristics needed to be an effective ref are more common in women then men put it that way.