IGNORED

good news all female officials for Andorra v England

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

There is literally no reason why female refs should be any different to male refs.  I would not be surprised if in a few years there are some at the very top of the game.  They apply the rules of the game and certain characteristics needed to be an effective ref are more common in women then men put it that way.  

Care to explain how?

Edited by AppyDAZE

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Absolutely. And if it inspires more women to get into officiating then fantastic!! 

Yeah great …… until a female official gets some abuse from the terraces and instead of it just being a ref getting some stick, all the handwringers will be calling out fans as being sexist!  

• Flames 3

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Agreed, it's good news in the senses female officials are making higher standards of refereeing 

This shows how long ago this kind of comment was seen as being funny.... Decades ago! 

Whatever your view on all this equality stuff is you should have watched “on the ball” the other Saturday, It was like watching loose women. I had to turn it off. 

58 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yeah great …… until a female official gets some abuse from the terraces and instead of it just being a ref getting some stick, all the handwringers will be calling out fans as being sexist!  

Or they may actually be fantastic and far better than males? 

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

I could cope with it, though it would be a bit ghoulish as he died last year.

Yes, much missed.

Though he is unique amongst City players as being the only one to ever make me money; I won a fiver one time as a Leeds fan bet me that he had never played for Bristol City and he thought that I was winding him up.

• Robin 1

The referee's a manual manipulator

You don't know what you're doing

Who's the bastard in the black?

Cheat cheat cheat

Are we going to have to come up with a whole new set of chants for the officials?

Just posing the question.

I've not ONCE seen any debate over whether these chants are offensive, so why should that change now?

Edited by AppyDAZE

On 07/10/2021 at 16:41, pillred said:

And pray tell us why this is good news as it sounds a rather strange thing to say.

It is not for anyone of us to question any of John's posts which are often random, quirky and often involve intricate and useful information on railway timetables.  Just award him a like or trophy emoji for a  unique style of posting. I miss his Subbuteo simulations of City's goals. 

To analyse things logically then John's post is correct - it is good news. There is a shortage of referees and officials in amateur football and junior football. Some of the abuse officials get from parents and in the adult amateur game is shameful. Just let the kids enjoy and play the game competitively but with a fun element. 

Having women officiate in international football provides role models for women to get involved at all levels of the game and that's surely a good thing. Also, who knows, it might just moderate some of the abuse from parents that spoils things for both the officials giving up their spare time and the youngsters who just want to have some fun kicking a ball about.

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

The referee's a manual manipulator

You don't know what you're doing

Who's the bastard in the black?

Cheat cheat cheat

Are we going to have to come up with a whole new set of chants for the officials?

Just posing the question.

I've not ONCE seen any debate over whether these chants are offensive, so why should that change now?

I don't think any of the above are gender specific - not even No 3 - so they'll all do at a pinch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

It is not for anyone of us to question any of John's posts which are often random, quirky and often involve intricate and useful information on railway timetables.  Just award him a like or trophy emoji for a  unique style of posting. I miss his Subbuteo simulations of City's goals. 

To analyse things logically then John's post is correct - it is good news. There is a shortage of referees and officials in amateur football and junior football. Some of the abuse officials get from parents and in the adult amateur game is shameful. Just let the kids enjoy and play the game competitively but with a fun element. 

Having women officiate in international football provides role models for women to get involved at all levels of the game and that's surely a good thing. Also, who knows, it might just moderate some of the abuse from parents that spoils things for both the officials giving up their spare time and the youngsters who just want to have some fun kicking a ball about.

To have all three officials being female at the same time and as this is the first time this has happened as far as I'm aware  I was just thinking why is it good news? yes of course there is no reason at all why a woman or women can't officiate at a mans game it just sounded a bit of random thing to say that's all, Is it because of opportunity for female officials?  as I said it just sounded a strange thing to say, but if you say his posts are a bit left field well maybe that's why.

Edited by pillred
punctuation

On 08/10/2021 at 18:04, bcfcnick said:

Well said

2 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Certainly no worse than many male refs, and given the pressure she may have been under from those thinking it was a tick box exercise, perhaps above average. 

My one criticism is she let a couple of Andorra players get away with murder and booked 3-4 England players. Rebes needs taking out the back and given a good shoeing and their number 2 should be waiting in the queue for the same treatment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

My one criticism is she let a couple of Andorra players get away with murder and booked 3-4 England players. Rebes needs taking out the back and given a good shoeing and their number 2 should be waiting in the queue for the same treatment.

Rebes should have been off, didnt really pay attention after his challenge that should have seen him go, but until that point thought she had done a decent job.

Cant comment on after that point.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

True but a lot of male refs would’ve let the ‘plucky’ underdog get away with more stuff than normal. The main problem is these games are generally rubbish; attack v defence.

7 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

True but a lot of male refs would’ve let the ‘plucky’ underdog get away with more stuff than normal. The main problem is these games are generally rubbish; attack v defence.

Andorra, San Marino and similar standard countries should have their own separate tournament. You’ve got never has beens out there who just want to take cheap shots at players they’ve heard of.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 14:50, The Bard said:

Less ego. Less likely to have small man syndrome certainly.  Less likely to induce aggressive responses from players.

Women tend to be more careful and less prone to overconfidence than men. 

Not a trait I've noticed in Mrs Downend when she’s going round John Lewis clothes department.

• Haha 1