IGNORED

Have you been tangoed?

Port Said Red

My 4 year old grand daughter has just started school and is suddenly expressing an interest in football. Her dad has no interest in the game but her mum used to be a season ticket holder and still comes to occasional games with me. The consensus of family opinion seems to be to start her with a smaller local game though, before taking her to the gate. 

As is the case with 4 year olds, she has attached a random caveat which is..... "I want to see a team in orange"! 

As Blackpool and The Netherlands are not readily available, can anyone point me in the direction of a side local(ish) to Portishead at a reasonable level, that might fulfil her specific needs?

I am sure I will be able to persuade her that red is only a "dark orange" in time. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Start on the "red is dark orange" theme now...and Bristol City Women, Bristol City U23s - neither far from Portishead - seem like the obvious choices!

Ladies game seems a good choice, i have been trying to persuade my wife to go to one anyway. Thanks.

• Like 3

Go to the Downs in Bristol. There will be so many matches being played, some teams must wear orange. The advantage of going there is you can do something else when she loses interest. Whatever you do, don’t pay to take her to see a league match as her attention span won’t last for 90 minutes plus half time. Approx 20 minutes if you’re lucky 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

My 4 year old grand daughter has just started school and is suddenly expressing an interest in football. Her dad has no interest in the game but her mum used to be a season ticket holder and still comes to occasional games with me. The consensus of family opinion seems to be to start her with a smaller local game though, before taking her to the gate. 

As is the case with 4 year olds, she has attached a random caveat which is..... "I want to see a team in orange"! 

As Blackpool and The Netherlands are not readily available, can anyone point me in the direction of a side local(ish) to Portishead at a reasonable level, that might fulfil her specific needs?

I am sure I will be able to persuade her that red is only a "dark orange" in time. :)

Bristol Telephones away kit is orange.

Western League division one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Start on the "red is dark orange" theme now...and Bristol City Women, Bristol City U23s - neither far from Portishead - seem like the obvious choices!

Was gonna suggest BCW too.

I was at SGS College this morning for a college open day for Joe, and spent a lot of time looking out over the football pitches where they were undertaking training.  Thought they’d moved to HPC but perhaps not in their entirety.

Whilst not trying to compare to the men’s game, it’s hard not to, and I’ve been a bit disappointed by what I’ve seen at times over the last season or so.  However watching them move the ball in a training “match” today I have upped my opinion….some really good technical ability.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Ladies game seems a good choice, i have been trying to persuade my wife to go to one anyway. Thanks.

Worth contacting the club and see if you could get something a bit more special, e.g. meet a few players too….might make your grand-daughter’s day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Was gonna suggest BCW too.

I was at SGS College this morning for a college open day for Joe, and spent a lot of time looking out over the football pitches where they were undertaking training.  Thought they’d moved to HPC but perhaps not in their entirety.

Whilst not trying to compare to the men’s game, it’s hard not to, and I’ve been a bit disappointed by what I’ve seen at times over the last season or so.  However watching them move the ball in a training “match” today I have upped my opinion….some really good technical ability.

Worth contacting the club and see if you could get something a bit more special, e.g. meet a few players too….might make your grand-daughter’s day.

All teams below under 18's are still at SGS. Plan is for all age groups to be up at HPC asap but need to sort indoor facilities.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think this is a must. My daughter has always had a passing interest in Football and City, it seemed to fluctuate a lot - one minute very into it and then in different. I put this down to her wanting to share my interest, but as soon as I started to show her the woman's games/highlights she was captivated and now loves both the mens and women's teams. I think its hard to emphasise enough how much seeing a female role model can have an effect on young girls. Almost like it made her see - 'hey this can be for me too.' 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think this is a must. My daughter has always had a passing interest in Football and City, it seemed to fluctuate a lot - one minute very into it and then in different. I put this down to her wanting to share my interest, but as soon as I started to show her the woman's games/highlights she was captivated and now loves both the mens and women's teams. I think its hard to emphasise enough how much seeing a female role model can have an effect on young girls. Almost like it made her see - 'hey this can be for me too.' 

Very similar to my daughter.

Unfortunately, there was no organised football in her school,  so she had to join an ‘unofficial’ school team with one training/coaching session a week and irregular Saturday morning games against boys teams.

Even though there was usually a two, or sometimes even three, year age difference between the two teams - 12/13 year old boys against my daughter’s team of 15 and 16 year olds - it was painfully obvious that the boys had been playing for years, whereas my daughter’s team had only a few months’ experience.

Nevertheless, all the girls enjoyed it, which is the main thing, and it was quite enlightening to see the respect given by the respective teams: a foul would often result in an apology and, rather than ‘playing to the referee’s whistle’, the players, especially the girls, would frequently leave the ball to ensure their opponent was OK.

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Go to the Downs in Bristol. There will be so many matches being played, some teams must wear orange. The advantage of going there is you can do something else when she loses interest. Whatever you do, don’t pay to take her to see a league match as her attention span won’t last for 90 minutes plus half time. Approx 20 minutes if you’re lucky 

Torpedo play in Orange and they have 4 sides on Downs