IGNORED

What away match brings back the great memories

City oz

R*vers 1-4 City : My first taste of the local derby games ( Kids ask you Grand parents what they are ? )

Coventry 2-2 : around 15,000 traveling, mental night.

Chester 1-2 : Possibly the best ever. Mad day on the beer , we win and get promoted. Magical.

Swansea 1-5 : Super Bob being Super.

Leicester 1-2 : The Cup game that introduced Jackie to the World.

Forest 1-1 : League Cup Semi final, AKA the Alamo.

Man City 2-1 : Another League Cup Semi, we were very good .

Been lucky, we had coaches from Hanham or Old Market so we made sure we enjoyed our days out, even when we were losing most weeks. The ones above are the ones that jump out, if I put my mind to it I could probably come up with more. Away days are brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tend to remember the trips that reflect the bizarre eccentricity or romance of the game. Walking across that water meadow to get into Cambridge, the mental walk around the allotments at Watford, or one season opener at Carlisle years and years ago, where the terrace was made of old railway sleepers with grass- basically hay- growing up between them.

• Haha 1

Plenty stand out, most have been mentioned, Hereford away over Christmas when we were bottom of Div 4, we beat them to climb off the bottom of the table, a nothing game to the rest of the football World but to us that were there that night it was like winning the FA cup, the start of the recovery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

R*vers 1-4 City : My first taste of the local derby games ( Kids ask you Grand parents what they are ? )

Chester 1-2 : Possibly the best ever. Mad day on the beer , we win and get promoted. Magical.

Been lucky, we had coaches from Hanham or Old Market so we made sure we enjoyed our days out, even when we were losing most weeks. The ones above are the ones that jump out, if I put my mind to it I could probably come up with more. Away days are brilliant.

That Leicester game- BBC said it was off, so I turned the tv off and didn’t travel. Still have the unused ticket..

• Haha 2

It's a tough one between the Man City & Mansfield games, I can't imagine the Man City occassion (& sheer quality of opposition) being matched in the near future. Experiencing that 5-4 has probably made me think "5 minutes to go, there's a chance we can win this" at more hopeless times than I care to admit.

There's also 3 from Carlisle that stand out for different reasons but all of them wins.

3-0 in 97-98 must have been when we started to get momentum, then 3-1 in 2007 got us to within a few points of the illusive promotion and finally the 3-2 when JET scored his hat trick, we hadn't won for ages.

13 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

That Leicester game- BBC said it was off, so I turned the tv off and didn’t travel. Still have the unused ticket..

We were in a Pub in Old Market, game announced off on Radio Bristol. All a bit dubious so waited until they said it again.
Mate had his car so off we went on our way to Tottenham, had to watch someone. Got past the Bath turning and Radio 2 announced the games that were off. Obviously our game not among them. Called the pub and arranged to pick up the coach at a Services on the M5. We were lucky and Radio Bristol is still shit.

Gary Johnson promising to get his bum out in Burtons if Liam Fontaine ever scored, to which Liam duly obliged in the dying minutes at Molineux to earn us a point. ?

I think we’re still waiting for GJ to uphold his end of the bargain aren’t we??

Edited by Dudek123

The Mansfield game stands out for me - what an amazing few minutes when we went from 4-2 down to 5-4 up. There was quite a fiesty atmosphere that game too. 

Anfield in 1994 was a wonderful experience. 

The Man City game was great too - especially when we went in at HT 1-0 up. Brilliant. 

Watford away in the 1997-98 promotion season was also memorable (1-1 draw). There were thousands of City fans there, and I remember Goater scoring to put us 1-0 up after running with the ball from the halfway line. What a superb finisher he was. 

Another really special one was a trip to Bournemouth just after Pulis left. Very joyous scenes in the away end that day, it was such a relief that he was gone. City winning was the icing on the cake, but the sense of relief was at Pulis leaving was really something. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Great selection, I was only a kid and lived in West Somerset in a family that didn’t like football so couldn’t get to the first 2.

I went to most of the rest and agree the Chester away day was probably the best. A real turning point after a record breaking slump.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Back in City’s promotion year (to what was then the First Division) we had two consecutive away games against two of our promotion contenders, Sunderland and West Brom.

A 0-0 draw with Sunderland was followed (or preceded, I forget now) by a 1-0 win at The Hawthorns.

Holding on for that victory, under a constant barrage of crosses and shots, especially knowing how important it was to our promotion hopes, was nail biting to say the least.

What a night that was at the Hawthorns. They threw everything at us but we got lucky and three points.

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

The siege of the Alamo! The ball barely left our penalty box, never mind our half!!

28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What a night that was at the Hawthorns. They threw everything at us but we got lucky and three points.

I mentioned in my original post that we suffered a barrage of crosses, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of WBA's (left) winger that night.

I recall he was Scottish, and am tempted to say it was Willie Johnston, but I am not convinced: I remember his crosses used to be hit quite high before dropping for his onrushing teammates, and I wonder whether any of you recall who it was.

28 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

That was a great night around 6k there , and others mentioned Coventry , Chester etc but my best away day goes back to my first away day many years ago , and although includes some ‘aggro ‘ it was just mind blowing and I thought all games would be like this 

in October 1971 only about 13 I guess a friend called early on a Saturday and said they were going to go to Swindon did I want to go , wouldn’t happen now but just said sure and we caught a bus to temple meads , just got on and went , basically all morning train after train went with hundreds at a time on , I guess looking back we had a couple of thousand there , we got there and piled out of the station, shouting and chanting, as we emerged , around 200 Swindon came running up the road , I had a moment of worry then a huge roar and a huge mob of City went past me steaming in and Swindon ran for their life , City were everywhere , we took over the Town End , as we did every time in those years , and won 1-0 to cap it off , got the bug that never went away that day , great memories 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I mentioned in my original post that we suffered a barrage of crosses, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of WBA's (left) winger that night.

I recall he was Scottish, and am tempted to say it was Willie Johnston, but I am not convinced: I remember his crosses used to be hit quite high before dropping for his onrushing teammates, and I wonder whether any of you recall who it was.

Well, according to world football.net Willie Johnston was in the West Brom squad that season, so I’d guess you’re right! So were Bryan Robson and Johnny Giles!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

That was a great night around 6k there , and others mentioned Coventry , Chester etc but my best away day goes back to my first away day many years ago , and although includes some ‘aggro ‘ it was just mind blowing and I thought all games would be like this 

in October 1971 only about 13 I guess a friend called early on a Saturday and said they were going to go to Swindon did I want to go , wouldn’t happen now but just said sure and we caught a bus to temple meads , just got on and went , basically all morning train after train went with hundreds at a time on , I guess looking back we had a couple of thousand there , we got there and piled out of the station, shouting and chanting, as we emerged , around 200 Swindon came running up the road , I had a moment of worry then a huge roar and a huge mob of City went past me steaming in and Swindon ran for their life , City were everywhere , we took over the Town End , as we did every time in those years , and won 1-0 to cap it off , got the bug that never went away that day , great memories 

So, how come your forum name isn’t ‘Swin 71’ ? ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Asa Hartford?

Just now, Norn Iron said:

Rotherham 89/90 promotion season, midweek, 1-0 down at half time, they played Del Amitri’s ‘Kiss this thing goodbye’ during the break, own goal and Super Bob in the 2nd half and a 2-1 win to put us back on track. 

Any trip to Wigan at Springfield Park includjng drinking in the Springfield Arms beforehand. Feel Scott McGarvey offered a tanned/highlighted contrast to the industrial north in one game, that would have had Alan Bennett waxing lyrical about ‘against chimney smoke, there was orange, exuberant orange, yet, somehow… despairing’. Old school. 

• Like 1

I’ve been to very few away games but the one nil win at anfield was the most memorable, brilliant night. Two derby games at eastville stick in my memory,the first me and my old man were in the away end and we all got pelted with stones,one hitting me in the head.Can’t remember it doing much damage!  The next time we played at eastville the old man decided it would be safer to stand with a young un quietly in the tote end instead!  I remember thinking this doesn’t seem like a great plan. Before the game started a big crowd of city fans surged in chanting and obviously a big  scrap went on which we just about managed to keep out of the way  of. Anyone know which year this would have been? 

Another that stands out for me in a cornucopia of away games was Aldershot away on a Tuesday the week before the Forrest games. Carl Shutt scored a brilliant scissors kick about five feet off the ground. A real cracker. There were about 20 of us there. Any of the other 18 still with us??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Another that stands out for me in a cornucopia of away games was Aldershot away on a Tuesday the week before the Forrest games. Carl Shutt scored a brilliant scissors kick about five feet off the ground. A real cracker. There were about 20 of us there. Any of the other 18 still with us??

Yes, we went to those, things I remember other than Carl’s goal, going through the away turnstiles and joining the home fans the other side (with flower beds) walking around the back of the stand to a terrace that took up half of the end, with home fans the other half. There was a cage tunnel in between and a white line painted on the floor about 6 foot from the cage. The coppers warned us if we crossed the line they’d not only throw us out, they’d put us in with the Aldershot fans for a few minutes first!

not sure they did though

On 10/10/2021 at 09:07, Pezo said:

Have been watching since 91/92 so:

Beating Cardiff at Ninian park when Murray did what Murray did.

Beating Liverpool at Anfield.

Same season I started following, too. My top three are:

• Liverpool 0-1 City, January 1994
  • Cardiff 1-3 City, December 2001
  • Palace 1-2 City, May 2008

I was gutted to miss the 5-4 win at Mansfield in 2002 (had a ticket but was ill), and the 6-0 win at Bradford in 2015 (having seen us get dicked 5-0 and 4-1 on my only two trips to Valley Parade). 

Top 10 off the top of my head..

Bradford 0 1 City 1989 

Forest 1 1 City 1989

Cardiff 0-3 City 1989

Birmingham 0 - 4 City 1990

Swindon 0 - 1 City 1990 (Mattered at the time)

Brighton 0 -1 City 1991 (last minute Shelton goal)

Leicester 1 2 City 1993?

Liverpool 0 - 1 City 1994

Fulham 1-2 City 2016 

Man City 2 1 City 2018

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fantastic day mate - but it was 1986 I think - I still remember being bewildered and close to tears when I was actually watching our boys playing at Wembley - in those days it was special and rare for teams at our level to grace that famous pitch ...

Ooops! yes 1986 it was, senior moment :laugh:.

• Flames 1

Showing my age now but 0-1 win at Elland road in the FA cup which I think was 1974 and an afternoon kick off in the week because of the power cuts at the time. I was 8 and sat in the main stand with my dad amongst the Leeds fans. Let’s just say they weren’t happy!

Other more recent games, beating the gas 2-1 at Eastville,  94 Liverpool was an amazing night and lost my voice for 3 days after. 

The first Wembley final in the LDV was a favourite just because it was my first ever visit and seeing so many city fans