Jump to content
IGNORED

What away match brings back the great memories


City oz
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

For me, it has to be April 1965 when City beat Shrewsbury away, with John Atyeo scoring 4 second half goals. There were no YouTube videos in those days so I’ve recaptured, with a bit of art work, the third City goal as Atyeo leaps high above the Shrewsbury centre half to power a header into the net

PS - I am available for commissions if anyone would like a memorable moment of their life recreated as a piece of art 

33E1C786-FF33-4AE2-8774-6454DE6BFAA6.jpeg

He’d have been penalised for that nowadays…..arms and elbows all over the place like that 😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in City’s promotion year (to what was then the First Division) we had two consecutive away games against two of our promotion contenders, Sunderland and West Brom.

A 0-0 draw with Sunderland was followed (or preceded, I forget now) by a 1-0 win at The Hawthorns.

Holding on for that victory, under a constant barrage of crosses and shots, especially knowing how important it was to our promotion hopes, was nail biting to say the least.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Back in City’s promotion year (to what was then the First Division) we had two consecutive away games against two of our promotion contenders, Sunderland and West Brom.

A 0-0 draw with Sunderland was followed (or preceded, I forget now) by a 1-0 win at The Hawthorns.

Holding on for that victory, under a constant barrage of crosses and shots, especially knowing how important it was to our promotion hopes, was nail biting to say the least.

The siege of the Alamo! The ball barely left our penalty box, never mind our half!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure that it was also that first season in Div 1 when we played at QPR on a wet Tuesday night. And on a very wet pitch - as they often were then. A long, hopeless boot from the back was going straight to the QPR keeper when it hit a puddle and literally stopped. Tom Ritchie ran onto it and scored the only goal of the game! 

Definitely not a ‘match to remember’ but I always remember that goal. 

Im beginning to think we were quite fortunate to stay up that season! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forest, Leicester, Bradford away in the Cup were all brilliant. Bolton freight rover, Gas Eastville in the cup (1-0 down, 2-1 up) all bring back good memories.

Some of the best memories for me though were those long away trips up North where part of the “fun” was getting there and then getting back, often after some needle. Ashby de la Zouch was a regular stop off for the lot I went with and that was usually tasty. Also went through a spell of calling in on Swindon on the way back from London clubs - the locals were not amused.

Watching football back in the 80s, 90s was not for the faint hearted. All pretty tame nowadays.

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two games at Bradford stand out, the 1-0 cup run 'battle of the Alamo'

and then the 6-0 romp to seal our promotion in 2015 under Cotts.

There weren't many of us there that night but we were so relentless and powerful.

We gave them an absolute battering and partied long into the night knowing that we were going up. 

superb champagne football at its very best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

........and then the 6-0 romp to seal our promotion in 2015 under Cotts.

 

Amazing night that was.

At half time I bumped into an old schoolmate who I hadn't seen for almost 50 years! (He apparently has lived in Manchester for years).

I woke up the next morning.......

...we'd been promoted????........

...we'd won 6-0 away?????..…...

It must have been a dream, cuz Mike Green was in it, and I hadn't seen him for 50 years!!!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Back in City’s promotion year (to what was then the First Division) we had two consecutive away games against two of our promotion contenders, Sunderland and West Brom.

A 0-0 draw with Sunderland was followed (or preceded, I forget now) by a 1-0 win at The Hawthorns.

Holding on for that victory, under a constant barrage of crosses and shots, especially knowing how important it was to our promotion hopes, was nail biting to say the least.

Pretty sure the Sunderland game was minus Paul Cheesley who was called up to England U 23's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are many highlights, Arsenal in Div 1, Coventry to stay up, Chester to seal promotion from the 4th, the incredible 5-4 win at Mansfield, a 4-1 at Barnsley, numerous cup games against non league sides and, of course, any win against the Gas, Swindle or Baadiff. However, I'm going for the 1-0 win against Spurs at White Hart Lane 76/77. After surviving crowd trouble which saw us confined to the stands, and an absolute battering by Spurs especially Hoddle, to win it at the death was an amazing feeling. I was walking on air back to Tottenham Hale tube and sunk a fair few pints of Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter in the Merry-Go-Down that night. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Forest, Leicester, Bradford away in the Cup were all brilliant. Bolton freight rover, Gas Eastville in the cup (1-0 down, 2-1 up) all bring back good memories.

Some of the best memories for me though were those long away trips up North where part of the “fun” was getting there and then getting back, often after some needle. Ashby de la Zouch was a regular stop off for the lot I went with and that was usually tasty. Also went through a spell of calling in on Swindon on the way back from London clubs - the locals were not amused.

Watching football back in the 80s, 90s was not for the faint hearted. All pretty tame nowadays.

Did you cause aggro😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

For me, it has to be April 1965 when City beat Shrewsbury away, with John Atyeo scoring 4 second half goals. There were no YouTube videos in those days so I’ve recaptured, with a bit of art work, the third City goal as Atyeo leaps high above the Shrewsbury centre half to power a header into the net

PS - I am available for commissions if anyone would like a memorable moment of their life recreated as a piece of art 

33E1C786-FF33-4AE2-8774-6454DE6BFAA6.jpeg

Is it a w a n k s y picture?

Like the graphics Pongo - looks like Davefevs will need to up his game!

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst I agree with many of the previous suggestions I can add this one.

Dec 28th Eastville howling gale of against us in first half and gas go in leading 1:0. At my first “away” derby in the muller road end feeling glum as most of my peers at school supported rovers (KLB Wotton Under edge) if there is anyone of that era on here.

I was down at the front, my dad bless him someway behind me. An Elder red next to me says “ Cheer up cocker, we got the wind this half”. 
Cue Kieth Fear (twice), Trevor Taunton, and Jimmy Mann and we win 4:1

Made going back to school in Jan just that little easier..

That was the team that next season was to get to Div 1

Still have the somewhat crumpled program. A guy called Durrell played for us in that game but I don’t remember him at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Arsenal 76. It hasn’t even got a mention. 
 

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! And repeat!

Oh yes it has! I agree though - the first game after promotion to the First Division after decades away, and the fixture seemed to be a cruel one, with the danger of a thumping. Then to win it, and to be there!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alongside the couple of ‘classics’ in this thread that I was lucky enough to be there (Coventry & Rovers in the Cup), one that sticks out in my mind was a cup-tie at Notts County. We were in Div 4, they were in Div 1 & we were packed into the corner of the ground (with a floodlight pylon in with us I think) - we went ahead (think it was Alan Crawford that scored), then we went 2-1 down. Tom Ritchie scored an equaliser but I didn’t see it - as the chance fell to him someone said “put it in Tom” and then we all fell forward and everyone went mental. Really enjoyed that one..!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nickybee said:

Alongside the couple of ‘classics’ in this thread that I was lucky enough to be there (Coventry & Rovers in the Cup), one that sticks out in my mind was a cup-tie at Notts County. We were in Div 4, they were in Div 1 & we were packed into the corner of the ground (with a floodlight pylon in with us I think) - we went ahead (think it was Alan Crawford that scored), then we went 2-1 down. Tom Ritchie scored an equaliser but I didn’t see it - as the chance fell to him someone said “put it in Tom” and then we all fell forward and everyone went mental. Really enjoyed that one..!

The cheating bastard Rachid Harkouk going down two yards outside the box like he`d been shot and Norman Glover giving a penalty will always stick in my mind from that game.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The cheating bastard Rachid Harkouk going down two yards outside the box like he`d been shot and Norman Glover giving a penalty will always stick in my mind from that game.

Really? I don’t recall that but now I know, I’m with you in thinking he’s a cheat 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wins at Old Trafford, twice, Arsenal, Leeds and Liverpool in FA Cup, and tons more over many years. All of these were as the underdog and so good to watch and savoir.

But the most important, IMO, was at Chester City in 1984. What an atmosphere we brought to the game and how those players responded and worked so hard.

PS, I remember in the same vein, a Forest fan telling me the most important game for him, was the one that got them promoted before they won the First Division, two European Cups and a string of success to follow.

 

Wins at Old Trafford, twice, Arsenal, Leeds and Liverpool in FA Cup, and tons more over many years. All of these were as the underdog and so good to watch and savoir.

But the most important, IMO, was at Chester City in 1984. What an atmosphere we brought to the game and how those players responded and worked so hard.

PS, I remember in the same vein, a Forest fan telling me the most important game for him, was the one that got them promoted before they won the First Division, two European Cups and a string of success to follow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, pillred said:

I think our win in the Freight rover trophy 3-0 against Bolton in 1985 is mine, how proud I felt watching my team walk out onto the pitch at Wembley stadium and being surrounded by so many fellow city fans we won it a few times after that but that first ever visit to Wembley and the result made it a day I and many will never forget. 

Fantastic day mate - but it was 1986 I think - I still remember being bewildered and close to tears when I was actually watching our boys playing at Wembley - in those days it was special and rare for teams at our level to grace that famous pitch ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Beating the great Leeds side in the FA Cup at Elland Road when they had gone 27ish games unbeaten. Donnie Gilles scored and then followed the longest 20 minutes of survival watching City that I have ever experienced.

 

..and the journey home was fantastic as it made big headlines on all the national news programmes including R4 or whatever it was then..goodness knows how many times we heard it!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...