IGNORED

One for eggheads

Murraysrightplum

29 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

A key, but it should be a Blackbird..

Interestingly, or not, the original was "Brand New Key" by Melanie Safka and was a hit in 1971.

220px-Melanie_Safka_1975.JPG

The lyrics were changed by Brendan O'Shaughnessy and it was a number one in Ireland in 1975 for this Father Ted priest, Brendan Grace:

PRI_73829992.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zo

And that same song was covered by our Wurzels in 1976 and was at number one for two weeks.

R-9323955-1478602762-4776.jpeg.jpg

Not 'arf pop pickers!

_42365736_05_fluff_youngones_bbc.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I watched that show for the first time yesterday, I have never felt so bereft of knowledge in my life.

is it a show for Mensa members only?

I promise you that if you stick with it, it gets easier. It's a bit like crosswords in the broadsheets, once you start to understand how the question compilers minds work, you can pick out answers. I am usually happy if I get a couple right and get in the right ball park for 2 or 3 others. I love the missing vowels round at the end though. I like it as a quiz because it's not the sort of thing you could Google the answers for.

15 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Interestingly, or not, the original was "Brand New Key" by Melanie Safka and was a hit in 1971.

220px-Melanie_Safka_1975.JPG

The lyrics were changed by Brendan O'Shaughnessy and it was a number one in Ireland in 1975 for this Father Ted priest, Brendan Grace:

And that same song was covered by our Wurzels in 1976 and was at number one for two weeks.

R-9323955-1478602762-4776.jpeg.jpg

Not 'arf pop pickers!

_42365736_05_fluff_youngones_bbc.jpg

Melanie was one of my favourite female singers back in the 1970s, and I still listen to her records now - on CD, of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I feel cheated!

To think I had thought the Wurzels were the original spoofers of the classic Melanie song.

Brendan O'Shaughnessy

Whilst I have never heard of Brendan O'Shaughnessy, I am familiar with Brendan Grace, who was actually quite a good stand-up comedian.

I must confess that, like @Norn Iron, I had always just assumed that The Combine Harvester was written by The Wurzels - as they say, every day is a school day.

A propos Brendan Grace, as well as being a comedian, he was also a singer, and I came across this lovely, very poignant song some years ago when I was searching for something connected to cider.

20 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

I watched that show for the first time yesterday, I have never felt so bereft of knowledge in my life.

is it a show for Mensa members only?

Go With Richard Osmans House of Games. Much easier!

Edited by Super
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Super said:

Go With Richard Osmans House of Games. Much easier!

See I like that too, a gentle start to the evening, with some intersting little tests of lateral thinking. If you want really easy try RO's Birthday Cake game on BBC Sounds, literally people guessing celebrities ages. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

See I like that too, a gentle start to the evening, with some intersting little tests of lateral thinking. If you want really easy try RO's Birthday Cake game on BBC Sounds, literally people guessing celebrities ages. :)

I like Richard Osman top bloke. It's easy watching and fun as well.

• Like 1