IGNORED

Worst away games

Lanterne Rouge

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The Ipswich game was a strange one though. We had plenty of the ball and chances, while everything Ipswich hit went in and they definitely took advantage of a 'homer' ref. We played a lot worse when they stuck 4 past us in the Cup some years earlier. 

we had em at home about 3 weeks later and beat em 2 nil....

• Like 1

Some shocking away days. Some as in the 70s you were there by the time it was called off. 

The one that still gives me nightmares is Forest away in the cup. 1/0 up with 5 minutes left list 2/1. The dodgiest penalty in history given by a homer ref. Wallace scored in injury time. At least the four Forest fans that decided it was a good idea to come in our end and take the piss got the living shit kicked out of them. Worse day for them I guess!!

Gillingham away, first game of the season. All pay on the day ( their shite of a chairman alleged they couldn’t afford to print tickets for advance sale) so away end full and locked by 130 while the rest of the ground was deserted. About 90 degrees, no shade, no refreshments- a killer. Think we got a result though, with a brace from the Goat?

I remember an away game at Shrewsbury (93/94 ish?) on a cold Tuesday night. We got stuffed 4-1 at The Old Gay Meadow.

My Dad, who's no longer with us drove and asked me if any of my mates wanted to come in the car.

2 of my mates were up for it and needless to say they never came again and stuck to Spurs (who they vaguely supported).

35 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Gillingham away, first game of the season. All pay on the day ( their shite of a chairman alleged they couldn’t afford to print tickets for advance sale) so away end full and locked by 130 while the rest of the ground was deserted. About 90 degrees, no shade, no refreshments- a killer. Think we got a result though, with a brace from the Goat?

lost 3 2 ...

Oakwell, New Year's Day, first time we'd played them in a very, very long time. No public transport but that didn't deter the ground-spotters.

AKA the 'Black Hole of Calcutta' game. All day Monsoon, freezing wind, the only cover being the underside of a very small platform (think it was the Police above.) 

Like Shackleton's finest and purely for survival once the Old Bill refused to open the gates to let us go (game was immaterial,) the terrace decanted like penguins into the space. Barely room to breath let alone move to see the game. 

Utter misery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

Layer Road, Routinely got done over there 

The one time we didn't, we were 2 or 3 down after about 20 minutes and half the City fans left - and we went on to win - I think it was 4-3.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Oakwell, New Year's Day, first time we'd played them in a very, very long time. No public transport but that didn't deter the ground-spotters.

AKA the 'Black Hole of Calcutta' game. All day Monsoon, freezing wind, the only cover being the underside of a very small platform (think it was the Police above.) 

Like Shackleton's finest and purely for survival once the Old Bill refused to open the gates to let us go (game was immaterial,) the terrace decanted like penguins into the space. Barely room to breath let alone move to see the game. 

Utter misery.

Remember it....that day was freezing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

5-1 at Blackpool, 4-0 at half time, one mate left and went to the Pub. Actually turned into a great night out despite the football.

What a cracking pre and post match though - in the Manchester Bar! Hated that game though, our chaps really didn’t look like they cared at all - and if I remember correctly, at the start of the game we still had a chance of making the play offs - fantastic away following totally let down and we finished 7th - gutted 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Molineux,  any game featuring Steve Bull 

Yep, we always used to play a high line against Wolves, usually approximately the edge of their penalty area. As a result the whole game, it seemed like a lot more than one half, was watching Steve Bull bearing down on us before he lashed home a volley/half volley (he was definitely of the David Kelly, min 3 goals a game, vintage). Remember a Freight Rover/Leyland DAF midweek game with the South Bank threateningly (not sexily) whistling at us and we still had that underpass to come. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a cracking pre and post match though - in the Manchester Bar! Hated that game though, our chaps really didn’t look like they cared at all - and if I remember correctly, at the start of the game we still had a chance of making the play offs - fantastic away following totally let down and we finished 7th - gutted 

I went with 2 mates. One only managed to go by taking his Mrs & young daughter. In the Manchester late on, Wurzels being blasted out, we were ringing him and just holding the phone up to the music ?

• Flames 1

Two of mine (5-1 Blackpool away and Swansea in Tinman’s last game as manager) have already been mentioned. 

Others that spring to mind:

Wolves away, late 90s. We lost 3-0 and one of the goals involved Flapper missing the ball when he tried to kick it and it rolled into the empty net. 

Any time I’ve seen us play at Ipswich. 

Millwall away about 4 seasons ago. I was on a CATS coach, terrible journey there (accident meant we ended up going ages around the M25, got to the ground just before kick off, City were terrible, journey back took ages too. 

Stockport away in the Wilson era, we lost 2-0 in a very gutless performance.

• Like 1

Just now, Offside said:

Two of mine (5-1 Blackpool away and Swansea in Tinman’s last game as manager) have already been mentioned. 

Wolves away, late 90s. We lost 3-0 and one of the goals involved Flapper missing the ball when he tried to kick it and it rolled into the empty net. 

Any time I’ve seen us play at Ipswich. 

Millwall away about 4 seasons ago. I was on a CATS coach, terrible journey there (accident meant we ended up going ages around the M25, got to the ground just before kick off, City were terrible, journey back took ages too. 

Stockport away in the Wilson era, we lost 2-0 in a very gutless performance.

I was there for that 3-0 defeat when Flapper Phillips missed his kick.

Although it was an awful day i remember that Molineux was rocking and the atmosphere was decent... no consolation tho obviously!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I think i remember that game at the crappy old Manor ground.

We had a terrible record there and i'm sure Joey Beauchamp tore us apart!

Was that the game when future Rovers boss Penney scythed down Junior Bent who was in full steam mode on the touchline?

At the rear of the terrace was a small hut serving hot drinks. They had a paper plate on the serving hatch which was full of sugar lumps. 

City was attacking our end in the first half. We had just won our first corner when their keeper was suddenly pelted with sugar lumps. The ball was cleared but the 6 yd box was left littered in white cubes. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Newcastle away for Keegans return wasn't too nice. Packed house with loads of Geordies in the away end with us.

Wasn't that bad given my previous 4 trips there finished 0-0.

Geordies were also (absolutely true this,) buying the shirts off City supporters backs just so they could get in. Never seen that before.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Offside said:

First game of the season ?

• Like 1