IGNORED

Worst away games

Lanterne Rouge

For me, that 7-1 second-half capitulation at Swansea took the biscuit. We conceded on the stroke of half-time and folded like a pack of cards after the break. I remember trying to leave the Liberty after Britton scored their fourth only to be told to stay put as we were in a bubble. It was a slow death and the demise of a legend. 

Notable mentions for debacles at Blackpool under Millen and Bradford, I think under Wilson. 

Edited by tin

2 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

I remember an away game at Shrewsbury (93/94 ish?) on a cold Tuesday night. We got stuffed 4-1 at The Old Gay Meadow.

My Dad, who's no longer with us drove and asked me if any of my mates wanted to come in the car.

2 of my mates were up for it and needless to say they never came again and stuck to Spurs (who they vaguely supported).

Oh yes. My first game of the season new ground. Early season, full of optimism. Pathetic. 

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Oakwell, New Year's Day, first time we'd played them in a very, very long time. No public transport but that didn't deter the ground-spotters.

AKA the 'Black Hole of Calcutta' game. All day Monsoon, freezing wind, the only cover being the underside of a very small platform (think it was the Police above.) 

Like Shackleton's finest and purely for survival once the Old Bill refused to open the gates to let us go (game was immaterial,) the terrace decanted like penguins into the space. Barely room to breath let alone move to see the game. 

Utter misery.

Miserable as hell. Hungover from night before. F**ng freezing.

• Like 1

West Brom 4-1 City end of 2019. Drove up from Plymouth with my younger brother. 

The game was bad enough, but on the way home my brother suddenly fell properly ill and we had to stop in Cheltenham I think, spent the night in hospital before being discharged at 5am and having to drive the rest of the way home.

14 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

For me probably the 1-0 loss to Rovers in the JPT, got trashed for months in school over that game. I spoke to somebody at work about them going to the 3-0 loss in 1990 which sounded far worse to be fair.

I must admit I wasn’t bothered about that game, if it’s the one I was thinking about it was when we were going for promotion, so it was an unwanted distraction for me.

I do understand when you’re surrounded by them lot at work or school it’s damned hard work.

1990 and all that surrounds it is unlikely to be beaten as the worse game ever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Villa 5-0 on new years day the same season as the League Cup win over Man U, the decline was starting tonset in at that point

To be fair, the team were visably exhausted that day.  It may odd but the team had a lot of money in the bank, so it didn't feel as a 5-0 Should. 

The one that sticks in mind was Nottingham Forest away during our abysmal losing streak under Lee Johnson. I think it was one of the few games Fabian Giefer played in goal for us.

It wasn't that we were remarkably bad. It was just an incredibly, incredibly turgid game between two teams in dire form on a freezing cold day in January, with one moment of quality from a Forest player leading to our seventh or so consecutive defeat. In a weird way, the thrashings and appalling defensive performances are at least memorable, even if all the excitement is coming in the wrong places.

That day at Forest was just joyless, bleak and miserable. 

3 hours ago, red panda said:

Honourable mention for a 5-1 defeat at Cambridge (yes Cambridge) in a 5th round FA Cup replay, think it was around 1990?

wasn't it a second replay? I have a recollection of drawing at home, drawing the replay then losing a penalty shootout to decide the venue?

had to google it......

image.png.0fe9341f46dfe70431aba32b790fd35f.png

Edited by cider hoss rules
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Away at Preston last game of the season mid to late 90's.

Drove up, couldnt get a ticket so walked back to the car to listen to the game on the radio as all the pubs were shut. Lo and behold, the local commentary was Burnley vs The Gas.

City lost and we lost one of our mates and spent hours trying to find him (before everyone had mobile phones). Got back to Bristol around 9:30pm.to find pur mate in the pub as he forgot where we parked so jumped on a supporters coach.

Yeah, I hated that game too. We were pipped to the league title by Watford that day. Preston got their winner right after we had equalised (Sean McCarthy, who celebrated with an unlikely somersault) and many of our fans were still celebrating our goal. It was all ticket for away fans (we sold out, about 3,000 made the trip) and I’d got to AG really early on the morning they went on general sale to get mine. My dad couldn’t get a ticket so ended up going in the home end with many other City fans, and he said the Preston fans were very friendly. 

3 hours ago, red panda said:

Honourable mention for a 5-1 defeat at Cambridge (yes Cambridge) in a 5th round FA Cup replay, think it was around 1990?

2nd replay and I went to both , which was bad enough. However, my mate was working in or near Plymouth and drove all the way there, just to see us humiliated .

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 19:06, Lanterne Rouge said:

Following on from the thread about best ever away games, what are your worst away days following City?

for most of us of a certain age it will no doubt be May 2nd 1990 but what others?

For me the second worst was Walsall in the playoffs.

Wycombe away. Like water polo. Can't believe it wasn't cancelled.  

Rovers 3-0 2nd May ‘90, which meant they won the league & we didn’t.

Rovers 4-0 two seasons later, Cole & Dziekanowski did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes, it was like playing with 9 men.

In the 82/3 season when we were bottom of the entire league at Xmas, I missed only 2 games, one was the aforementioned 7-1 defeat at Northampton, but I did see a 4-1 defeat at Crewe just before that was truly ******* awful.

• Like 1

Another bad one for me was Aston Villa away in early 2017. I was looking forward to my first trip to Villa Park, I had high hopes for the ground. But what an awful trip it turned out to be. I drove there after work, parked easily……then it hammered down with rain and I got soaked. I decided to get a drink in the ground…….but the away concourse was shockingly awful with long queues and didn’t serve alcohol. My seat was right in the corner of the top tier and felt very detached. City lost 2-0 and never really looked in the game. Kodjia got stick from the City fans and then inevitably scored for them.

Then on the way home the M6 was closed and I got stuck on it for absolutely ages. Then the M5 was closed so I had to follow a diversion. I finally got back to Bristol at about 2.30 and had to be up for work at 6am. 

I’ve not been back to Villa Park. 

6 hours ago, Offside said:

Another bad one for me was Aston Villa away in early 2017. I was looking forward to my first trip to Villa Park, I had high hopes for the ground. But what an awful trip it turned out to be. I drove there after work, parked easily……then it hammered down with rain and I got soaked. I decided to get a drink in the ground…….but the away concourse was shockingly awful with long queues and didn’t serve alcohol. My seat was right in the corner of the top tier and felt very detached. City lost 2-0 and never really looked in the game. Kodjia got stick from the City fans and then inevitably scored for them.

Then on the way home the M6 was closed and I got stuck on it for absolutely ages. Then the M5 was closed so I had to follow a diversion. I finally got back to Bristol at about 2.30 and had to be up for work at 6am. 

I’ve not been back to Villa Park. 

I could have written the very same but i got a speeding ticket at almondsbury on way home to cap off a horrendous night... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, supercidered said:

Wasn't it 7:1 or 7:2 on a Sunday?

I think it meant we ended the weekend in 92nd place i.e. bottom of Division 4.

School wasn't a great experience the next day either ?

In another game at Northampton we were 3-0 down at half time and Jordan and Fitzpatrick (?) had both been sent off. I hated that cricket pitch.

Worst for me was a midweek home game against West Ham in the 90's. I'd driven back from Scotland where I was in the RAF to watch it. 4-0 down at half time I seem to recall. 

Chesterfield on a midweek evening in GJs early days where we were on that losing run, lost 3-0 in the rain.

A 2-0 defeat at Blackburn in the Cup under McInnes, who was sacked a week later. Grim weather, grim performance. It took us until about 10 minutes from the end to register a shot on target, which brought scenes of wild celebration from the away end. At full time the fans properly turned on the players, which led to Cole Skuse coming over to try and placate/apologise, to litle effect.

A 1-0 defeat at Crewe under SO'D. An awful game between 2 awful teams settled by an injury time penalty for them. My particular memory is JET barely breaking a sweat to try and do anything, to the point where the decision to sub him midway through the 2nd half was met with rapturous applause.