IGNORED

England vs Hungary

Port Said Red

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I only watched about 10 minutes of each half.  It felt pretty similar to many England performances.  We are decent but not top-class team.  We will always be there or thereabouts.  We qualify relatively easily for each tournament, which has not been the case in the past (tournament expansion has helped!).

Southgate has done a decent job.  I’ve never thought we looked like winning a tournament in recent times, so his record is good.

I think there are some parallels to the situation Leicester found themselves in under Pearson. He got them to the Prem, but they felt they needed a change of manager to push on and make progress (I doubt a Prem title was expected but you get the point).

I know logically speaking it's unfair to doubt Southgate given his track record relative to other England managers - but I do have nagging doubts about him. I think he should probably get the 2022 WC and then evaluate after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoSheds said:

Very poor last night, should have taken Stirling of after an hour, bring  on Tammy he would feed of Grealish. Gareth wrong subs and far too late to win the game. Playing like this against decent opposition will end in tears again. 

When it comes to making crunch decisions he is hopeless and always takes the negative option.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there are some parallels to the situation Leicester found themselves in under Pearson. He got them to the Prem, but they felt they needed a change of manager to push on and make progress (I doubt a Prem title was expected but you get the point).

I know logically speaking it's unfair to doubt Southgate given his track record relative to other England managers - but I do have nagging doubts about him. I think he should probably get the 2022 WC and then evaluate after that.

I’m kinda with you on that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think in general we miss having a true world class player….a player that “does it” when needed, a Ronaldo, Modric, etc.  We have good international players, but not truly world-class.

I agree, for as good as Foden & Grealish currently are, they just can't do it against better opposition or with consistency. Grealish has started to be found out a little at City this year IMO, he's performed poorly in some of the bigger games.

He looks exciting but often runs into dead ends or loses the ball. He does well to win free kicks, but often doesn't get the free kick and loses possesion. I think he has potential to be something dangerous but he needs to improve quickly at the highest level.

I like Southgate, I think for all the criticism about his tactical nouse, he's done a great job bringing that dressing room together. They look like they actually enjoy international duty and because a lot of them have known each other a long time they are friends who enjoy meeting up again - as opposed to in the past when we've had club rivals meeting up and not mixing with each other.

I don't think the importance of that bond can be underestimated, but Southgate does lack something. I agree with the comments about Italy, they were there for the taking and especially in extra time I was so disappointed with the approach to subs and penalties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I hope Southgate sticks with the more positive approach. One poor game doesn’t mean it won’t work with a tactical tweak and better individual player performances

Quite.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/13/gareth-southgate-england-ditches-his-cautious-machine-for-something-altogether-more-exciting