IGNORED

Andi Weimann - Some Stats.

MJP3

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I lost respect for the article after that!

Weimann has his pros and cons. Not surprised he ‘stats well’ as stats often focus on the positives and ignore the negatives. There are a lot fewer negative stats compiled and analysed. 

The joy of stats….use the ones that suit your argument ?

He doesn’t stat particularly well in the basic stuff I can get hold of.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/EFLChampionshipForwards2021-22/SCATDuels

The key to Weimann “quality” is the more physical / locational stats, e.g. not just how much he runs, but where he runs, where he receives balls, wins balls, etc.  You have to a lot lower level data extraction to see that.  I can do game by game for 1 player at a time, but it takes a while….and I want to do it for 538 players who’ve played in the Champ this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

The joy of stats….use the ones that suit your argument ?

He doesn’t stat particularly well in the basic stuff I can get hold of.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/fevsfootballanalytics/viz/EFLChampionshipForwards2021-22/SCATDuels

The key to Weimann “quality” is the more physical / locational stats, e.g. not just how much he runs, but where he runs, where he receives balls, wins balls, etc.  You have to a lot lower level data extraction to see that.  I can do game by game for 1 player at a time, but it takes a while….and I want to do it for 538 players who’ve played in the Champ this season.

As you know, I have my issues with xG but do look at general stats although putting them secondary to what my eyes see most of the time. However, I do agree that there could be a lot more of the nuanced stats communicated and mass collated.   What really grinds my gears is the ‘he’s got 0/10 assists so he must be crap/brilliant’ arguments which hold zero weight in my opinion!

• Like 1

It’s interesting that the first heat map shows that he plays a lot on the right and in midfield, which is what most supporters would agree with. Yet, he is supposed to be a second forward with Martin and has managed to score 4 goals from hardly getting  into the penalty area (if the heat map is to be believed). Logic would be that he should play more in the middle, closer to the penalty area, or have I missed something? 

8 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I disagree I think he has always looked dangerous when given a run up front, deceptively good in the air witnessed a few goals from corners and his composure is also great goal against Derby away sticks in my memory not forgetting the Hat Trick at Sheffield United. He is capable I think. 

His composure is generally poor. He has examples of good composure for sure but in the main it is poor. He won’t score 20 goals as he isn’t a natural striker.  If he could score 20 goals then one of his many former managers would have played him up front 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I disagree I think he has always looked dangerous when given a run up front, deceptively good in the air witnessed a few goals from corners and his composure is also great goal against Derby away sticks in my memory not forgetting the Hat Trick at Sheffield United. He is capable I think. 

I love Andi. But for me his composure is very inconsistent. For every "Derby" there's 4 or 5 wild whacks into row M. This inconsistency is why he's with us and not a club higher up the food chain. 

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

“Bristol City usually play in a 3-5-2 formation”. Is that what the stats are telling them?!

That made me laugh………..

Nige says he likes 4-4-2 and that’s how they line up at ko. Then it changes……..depending if City are in or out of possession.

Im not one who looks at the team sheet and predicts that it’s a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3. I just see 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and two forwards. Then I watch the game.

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

His composure is generally poor. He has examples of good composure for sure but in the main it is poor. He won’t score 20 goals as he isn’t a natural striker.  If he could score 20 goals then one of his many former managers would have played him up front 

A lot of his goals are where he doesnt have time to think, but reacts instinctively. Had it been him, instead of Wells, running through on goal against QPR odds on he would have crocked it up. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That made me laugh………..

Nige says he likes 4-4-2 and that’s how they line up at ko. Then it changes……..depending if City are in or out of possession.

Im not one who looks at the team sheet and predicts that it’s a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3. I just see 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and two forwards. Then I watch the game.

Not in every game though.  They have lined up in 352 (and 3412) in the matches against QPR and Millwall.  You would not have seen 4 defenders, 4 midfielders in those two games.  You trot this out every time formations are mentioned.  Nor does it change depending on whether City are in and out of possession….it changes due to the fluidity of the game, the position of the ball on the pitch, the position of ours and their players and the dynamics between each of those.  That’s fine if you only want to view the game at such a basic level, but what we are discussing here is that the writer has got it wrong….and even if Nige dies prefer 442, he doesn’t always set up that way at the start or end of games.  In fact Nige has said he’d really like to play 433 but he doesn’t have the players for it.

17 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

It shows what a lot of us have known for a while now, that he is one of, if not the most important outfield player. 

Much worse team when he doesn't play. 

The season was over in terms of a top half finish as soon as he was injured last season.

Our best player by a country mile.

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s interesting that the first heat map shows that he plays a lot on the right and in midfield, which is what most supporters would agree with. Yet, he is supposed to be a second forward with Martin and has managed to score 4 goals from hardly getting  into the penalty area (if the heat map is to be believed). Logic would be that he should play more in the middle, closer to the penalty area, or have I missed something? 

He indeed should be playing as the 2nd striker and should be the first name on the team sheet in that position - IMO.

35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

This shows he is overrated!  I would debate he’s our best player let alone by a country mile!!

I would say HNM is our best player. 

Weimann might be one of, if not the most important players. 

• Like 1

Weimann is massively overrated, good honest pro, but nowhere near as good or important to us as many on here make out.

He has played mainly in support of Martin this season, and has played almost all minutes in all games, but has only managed to find the net in 2 out of 11 games, albeit both those games were both with important braces. I doubt he will ever contribute more than 12 goals a season.

Last few games he has been poor, and I'd much prefer to see Wells start in his place.