IGNORED

Andi Weimann - Some Stats.

MJP3

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Weimann is massively overrated, good honest pro, but nowhere near as good or important to us as many on here make out.

He has played mainly in support of Martin this season, and has played almost all minutes in all games, but has only managed to find the net in 2 out of 11 games, albeit both those games were both with important braces. I doubt he will ever contribute more than 12 goals a season.

Last few games he has been poor, and I'd much prefer to see Wells start in his place. 

Agree with most of this. One thing I really struggle with in a player is inconsistency. Palmer, Weimann, Hunt when he was here….people remember the great bits a lot longer than they remember the rubbish bits. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

The fact that a player that has not yet scored 15-20 league goals in a single season before …can; if backed and played in the position that will make it realistic.

I think he could ?‍♂️ 

I agree. Scored 5 in 5 when played central at the beginning of the 18/19 season. Would have liked to see him stay there.

Oh well.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, downendcity said:

A lot of his goals are where he doesnt have time to think, but reacts instinctively. Had it been him, instead of Wells, running through on goal against QPR odds on he would have crocked it up. 

And yet your first sentence was what happened. He reacted instinctively by using the outside of his boot to make a 40 odd yard pass for Nahki to score the winner at QPR. The 2 defenders had no chance cutting out the pass. Sublime, magnificent and a pass to grace any world stage let alone ours.

It was a privilege to see that pass and subsequent finish, standing behind the goal that day. I'd  be interested to know who else could have made a perfect pass for the oncoming Nahki. 

Go to 8 mins for multi camera replays of this goal.

• Like 1

Interesting comments above.

FWIW, I think he’s a good player, and important to our “team”.  That doesn’t make him a brilliant player individually per se, but we saw last season what we missed when he was out.  I don’t think we have any brilliant players in our squad at all btw.  He’s not always aesthetically pleasing, can appear rushed at times, yet on other occasions is hugely composed.  He brings intensity to the “collective” (Nige word) and we are lacking that when he doesn’t play.

I think it is too easy to say he played well against Reading and Cardiff for example…because those were games he scored in.  Easy to forget contributions in games where he didn’t score.  He’s had 1 of 2 below par games this season too, but so has everyone.  It’s gonna happen.

Between him and Martin they’ve scored 8 goals in 11 league games….add in Wells odd minutes and it’s 9 in 11.  I don’t think it matters too much who gets them, whether they get them in batches or not.  So quoting he’s only scored in 2 of 11 games (or hasn’t scored in 9 of 11) doesn’t worry me that much….they contributed towards 6 points.

Ive often said that if you just spent all 90 minutes watching Weimann, you’d see different things.  He’s purposeful in what he does.  He drags players out of position for the benefit of others for example.  If you just watch what he does when the ball is in his possession or challenging for possession, you get a very shallow view of what he is about.  Opposition defenders know his threat.

I don’t think he’s a 20-goal striker, but I do think if you play him through the middle every game you’d have more chance of him getting circa 15….that’s pretty good in a middle-eight team.  We aren’t a team that scores heavily are we?

I’m not here to try and change people’s opinion, but he’d start most games for me.  When you add Weimann’s intensity alongside Massengo, Williams pace and tanacity etc, couple it with James’s nous, it gives us a strong core for the front 6, depending on how you perm them (they don’t have to play every game).  Ultimately Nige is building a team, you need team players for that, and Andreas Weimann is one of those.

• Flames 1

36 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

And yet your first sentence was what happened. He reacted instinctively by using the outside of his boot to make a 40 odd yard pass for Nahki to score the winner at QPR. The 2 defenders had no chance cutting out the pass. Sublime, magnificent and a pass to grace any world stage let alone ours.

It was a privilege to see that pass and subsequent finish, standing behind the goal that day. I'd  be interested to know who else could have made a perfect pass for the oncoming Nahki. 

Go to 8 mins for multi camera replays of this goal.

I completely agree. 

It seems that in most aspects of his game his instinctive reactions are great, whether that be taking chances in the box or seeing and making a killer pass. 

Give him loads of time to play with and it seems that all too often he takes too long and the moment or chance has gone. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

His composure is generally poor. He has examples of good composure for sure but in the main it is poor. He won’t score 20 goals as he isn’t a natural striker.  If he could score 20 goals then one of his many former managers would have played him up front 

His hatrick goal away at The Blades was the epitome of ‘composure’ - and here’s a zillion more examples of his ‘composure’ and goal scoring prowess when played up front ... you may note that these examples include goals away at both Liverpool and Arsenal ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

8 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Weimann is massively overrated, good honest pro, but nowhere near as good or important to us as many on here make out.

He has played mainly in support of Martin this season, and has played almost all minutes in all games, but has only managed to find the net in 2 out of 11 games, albeit both those games were both with important braces. I doubt he will ever contribute more than 12 goals a season.

Last few games he has been poor, and I'd much prefer to see Wells start in his place. 

...only Bristol City fans would slag off our top scorer! ?????

Edited by BS4 on Tour...