IGNORED

Meeting a legend!

Fordy62

Bob is from the very end of the era when players related to fans and vice versa.

He is an absolute Baggies legend & one down here, too.

Lumsden’s decision to sell him (to replace him with you know who!) was amongst the worst of the last 30 years (& there have been plenty of bad ones) on a par with not putting a sell on clause in the Andy Cole deal a few years earlier.

Great to see him looking so well, it would be lovely to see him in BS3 when we face WBA.

• Like 6

Just now, GrahamC said:

Bob is from the very end of the era when players related to fans and vice versa.

Lumsden’s decision to sell him (to replace him with you know who!) was amongst the worst of the last 30 years (& there have been plenty of bad ones) on a par with not putting a sell on clause in the Andy Cole deal a few years earlier.

Great to see him looking so well, it would be lovely to see him in BS3 when we face WBA.

I’m sure he’ll be there at the Hawthorns next week too! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Imagine being invited to a corporate event: WBA versus Birmingham City. Free food, free drinks, free everything!

After dinner speaker, you wouldn’t believe it!

Like meeting a hero. We reminisced about the hat trick he scored against Crewe in my first game at Ashton Gate and he said that he still looks out for our result.

Id like to have asked a little more. But I was a little star struck!

cheers all!

1E66CE74-7FBD-4D8C-ADEF-7601B349DBF7.jpeg

Who is the old geezer in the checked shirt?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I still don't understand why he lost form after we got promoted to Div 2. At the time people thought maybe he was just a great Div 3 player and couldn't make the step up but he showed at WBA he was just as good at that level, we really missed out there somehow.

Been covered before, he lost his Mum around that time.

11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Imagine being invited to a corporate event: WBA versus Birmingham City. Free food, free drinks, free everything!

After dinner speaker, you wouldn’t believe it!

Like meeting a hero. We reminisced about the hat trick he scored against Crewe in my first game at Ashton Gate and he said that he still looks out for our result.

Id like to have asked a little more. But I was a little star struck!

cheers all!

1E66CE74-7FBD-4D8C-ADEF-7601B349DBF7.jpeg

Is alastair stewart still reading the news? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wouldn't have minded him on the pitch today, even at his current age. He knew it had to go under the horizontal bar and in between the 2 vertical ones.   

On 16/10/2021 at 09:04, ashton_fan said:

I still don't understand why he lost form after we got promoted to Div 2. At the time people thought maybe he was just a great Div 3 player and couldn't make the step up but he showed at WBA he was just as good at that level, we really missed out there somehow.

On 16/10/2021 at 10:05, GrahamC said:

Been covered before, he lost his Mum around that time.

As Graham says, Bob's mother died that year, 1990, possibly over the summer but I can't be sure now of exactly when that year.

Bob was 23 at the time.

He also had a six month old child, his first child, at the point we sold him.

I think he had a house in Worle (others will remember) but his child at this point was with its mother, in Newcastle. Why were mother and child in Newcastle, not in Worle? To be close to her mother/family? Don't know.

Bob was commuting Bristol - Newcastle - Bristol at the start of that season. He has said before that he was doing this commute "every day," which can only have had a negative impact, you would think.

Joe Jordan, who signed Bob, and turned his career around, left for Hearts.

So, Bob, recently bereaved, working away from his partner and first child, commuting the length of the country, then sees his mentor leave the club and the mentor's assistant, Jimmy Lumsden, appointed. That's Jimmy Lumsden who had himself lost his teenage son about 12 to 18 months prior to the start of the 90/91 season.

I think there's enough here, @ashton_fan, to understand why Bob's form dipped after a great start to 90/91, and in my view why Lumsden made the, as Graham also says elsewhere, terrible decision to sell him.

Bob is also on record as saying that when Lumsden told him about West Brom's interest/offer, he didn't want to leave.