IGNORED

AFC Bournemouth at home match day thread

Well, that was another really depressing Ashton Gate experience.  They were on different planet to us but we were also terrible everywhere on the pitch except in defence, with the exception of Matty James who was decent as normal.  very strange decisions on substitutions and changes in formation which just didn’t work- why we were playing 3 strikers when we couldn’t get near the ball I have  no idea.  

I expected us to get beat today, but not to get as badly hammered as that - yes, it was only 2 but it could have easily been 8. 

We have got to get our home form sorted out, can’t take much more of this.  

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Rationale behind Wells on when Williams off? Further outnumbering us in central areas though we had a lot of problems generally today.

Certainly lacked the same fight etc as vs Fulham despite the significant quality gap.

Absolutely shocking sub. Should not be playing 2 up front against Bournemouth who had 5 in midfield. Especially with 2 aging midfielders in the centre. 

Nige got it very wrong today. 

• Like 2

No sugar-coating that - absolute sewage, City.

Utterly embarrassing that we haven’t won at home in nine months. If that doesn’t change soon we could very well be part of the relegation battle this season.

Pearson, I have faith in you but you need to sort this out sharpish my old son. Nothing less than three points in midweek will suffice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
31 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

We aren’t going to compete with a bankrolled hobby club with parachute payments. What people saw as lack of effort out there today was more like lack of confidence and belief. We never believed we could get anything and gave them too much respect. 

We competed with Fulham. Peterborough competed with Bournemouth. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

No sugar-coating that - absolute sewage, City.

Utterly embarrassing that we haven’t won at home in nine months. If that doesn’t change soon we could very well be part of the relegation battle this season.

Pearson, I have faith in you but you need to sort this out sharpish my old son. Nothing less than three points in midweek will suffice.

Think home form is more of a revenue issue than a league position issue. If we can’t win at home, difficult to expect the faithful to stay faithful, but if we continue doing well away we needn’t be in any danger of relegation. 22nd in home table, 2nd in away table (Bournemouth top), equals 11th overall. 

• Like 2

I actually quite like the idea of going 433 after the first sub, it's far more attacking then we usually are at home, if the midfield had the same energy they had against Fulham it could have worked , sadly today with a fair number not turning up we may have been better going 451 and trying to grind something out although I feel there class would have still seen them beat us,

55 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

We aren’t going to compete with a bankrolled hobby club with parachute payments. What people saw as lack of effort out there today was more like lack of confidence and belief. We never believed we could get anything and gave them too much respect. 

Not this nonsense again.

48 minutes ago, nickolas said:

This. 5 years of PL money and now Parachute payments shows the sheer gulf in revenue for the unfair parachute payment rules. 
But you can still get stuck in, show little respect and have a bloody go. 
That was frankly rather pathetic!

Precisely. My first game in 19 months and goodness me, that was pathetic. Only thing worth going for was to watch Bournemouth. So disheartening to see what was a tinpot outfit down the road play better than I've ever seen my team play in 39 years of watching.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That was the first time we've truly at home been battered this season.

Vs Fulham, they had more of the play but we had our chances too. None of that today.

Atkinson and Massengo, where are/were they? Williams going off injured likely didn't help either.

We were terrible but we also had 3 clear cut chances (Wells twice in the 6 yard box and Martin piss weak header) Needed our strikers to do their job and we might have had a miracle point

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

This. 5 years of PL money and now Parachute payments shows the sheer gulf in revenue for the unfair parachute payment rules. 
But you can still get stuck in, show little respect and have a bloody go. 
That was frankly rather pathetic!

My exact same opinion today of what was lacking, not one player was prepared to get stuck in to them 

Yes, they have very good players but I bet if a few of ours started to go in hard in a few tackles and a few dark arts then they would be a little more hesitant in thinking they had time on the ball 

watching the first half of Brentford v Chelsea and Brentford have got stuck right into Chelsea and physically challenged them, that’s what I expect to see our players do otherwise you will just get picked off time & again 

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

I agree. It’s almost like we were beaten from the start, we really never looked up for it. That surprised me as we have tended to raise our game against bigger/better opposition. Lots of comments from people around me saying they were bored too, very little to cheer about today. 

But as you say parachute payments are a huge factor. Add into this on the whole stable and decent management over the past few years and an owner not worried about financial penalties if he bends the rules and no wonder we are finding it difficult to compete. The playing field isn’t level.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

So, King went off injured with 15 mins left and we played with ten men?! How did i miss that, i dunno Jeff! 

seriously, did anyone see him go off?! The game was that poor, as was King, that i had no idea we had ten men! ??????

TBH it looked like we were playing with 10 men right from the kick off.

I can accept being beaten by a better team but I find it intolerable when we go down without even putting up a fight.

Yes, Bournemouth are a very good team, but we should still have tried to give them a game.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1
6 minutes ago, nickolas said:

So, King went off injured with 15 mins left and we played with ten men?! How did i miss that, i dunno Jeff! 

seriously, did anyone see him go off?! The game was that poor, as was King, that i had no idea we had ten men! ??????

Yes he did. Walked straight off after treatment down the tunnel. 75 mins on the clock, so we played 18 minutes with 10 men, and probably  not our worse spell in the match either.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

TBH it looked like we were playing with 10 men right from the kick off.

I can accept being beaten by a better team but I find it intolerable when we go down without even putting up a fight.

Yes, Bournemouth are a very good team, but we should still have tried to give them a game.

This is the message that keeps repeating tonight. (Almost) everyone realises that Nige has got a very limited squad to work with and that results will very much be a mixed bag. What NOBODY will accept whether they have extreme or balanced opinions on the club, whether they think Nige should be sacked after every bad performance or whether they think he should be given three years to build something better, is watching us surrender on a Saturday afternoon. Bournemouth are better than us, everyone knows that, but don't go and hand them the game on a china plate with a silver service.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, redrob said:

Cahill in on a free. True.

Why are we not competing with teams like Bournemouth? Because players like Cahill are on £75k a week!!! There in lies the difference. Wage budget not transfer fees my friend! 

Screenshot_20211016-173804_Chrome.jpg

Exactly my point re parachutes. Most ridiculous rule that exists. They couldnt afford this without them so why should they be allowed such an advantage for the failure of relegation from the PL?! The championship just isnt a level playing field but the money from PL is exactly why we have to try and find our way there somehow!

Edited by nickolas
2 hours ago, redrob said:

Cahill in on a free. True.

Why are we not competing with teams like Bournemouth? Because players like Cahill are on £75k a week!!! There in lies the difference. Wage budget not transfer fees my friend! 

Screenshot_20211016-173804_Chrome.jpg

1. Those figures are guesses.

2. Begovic, King, Gosling and Danjuma no longer play for Bournemouth. 

2 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think home form is more of a revenue issue than a league position issue. If we can’t win at home, difficult to expect the faithful to stay faithful, but if we continue doing well away we needn’t be in any danger of relegation. 22nd in home table, 2nd in away table (Bournemouth top), equals 11th overall. 

We can’t rely on our away form indefinitely though. We need to start picking up points at home - can you see us getting anything at West Brom, for instance. I can’t.

Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t panic stations yet but just when it looks like we might be turning the corner we put in a turd of a display like that. It’s incredible that we managed to land a coach of the calibre of NP and we are still awaiting a home win under him. It’s not good enough.

• Like 1
Just now, WessexPest said:

We can’t rely on our away form indefinitely though. We need to start picking up points at home - can you see us getting anything at West Brom, for instance. I can’t.

Don’t get me wrong, it isn’t panic stations yet but just when it looks like we might be turning the corner we put in a turd of a display like that. It’s incredible that we managed to land a coach of the calibre of NP and we are still awaiting a home win under him. It’s not good enough.

Guess I’m not convinced we can say our home form will continue, but our away form won’t. At the moment we’ve got a squad that’s better suited to playing against teams looking to come forward, rather than break down teams set up to defend (and we’re fundamentally not as good as top 3 and maybe a few others). No one can be happy with home form, but as it stands we’re 11th with a 4/4/4 record, that’s better than I expected. Clearly it could get worse, but it equally it might not. 

• Like 1