IGNORED

Williams injury

Rocking Red Cyril

46 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I feel very sorry for him, but surely we can’t go on like this. 

We sadly may have to part ways with him if injuries keep occurring. 

Massively disappointing that he can't stay / get fit. Looks like a lovely player and one that nige could get a tune from.  

If our previous physio team have curtailed his career it's a crying shame. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Korey had a number of significant injuries when he was with us, and I think we can agree he was a player who left having made a significant, positive contribution to Bristol City becoming an established Championship side - as well as a goal or two!

Hopefully people aren't too quick to write off Williams, his reaction to this latest set-back shows how much he wants to succeed on the pitch and I don't think it's too much to ask to expect supporters to rally behind him, rather than throwing comments around like 'sick note'.

I take your point, it's terrible for the lad and he deserves our sympathy and support. 

However, footballers are expensive assets at the best of times, and given the current state of our current squad, you have to question how much longer we can afford to keep him at the club.

Such a shame as, when fit, he's clearly one of our better players.

If its another long term injury we're honestly best trying to get rid in the summer. We keep so many of these types of players around for too long. I can already see what will happen now. He'll have injuries on and off until theres about 6 months left on the contract, he'll stay fit for those 6 months, earn a new 3 year deal and then get an 8 month long injury. It's honestly gutting as he's clearly a decent player, but how many games has he actually played for us now? 5? Reliability is needed, can't afford to carry someone who can only help you for about 5% of the season. Think we have to cut our losses with him. 

54 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I take your point, it's terrible for the lad and he deserves our sympathy and support. 

However, footballers are expensive assets at the best of times, and given the current state of our current squad, you have to question how much longer we can afford to keep him at the club.

Such a shame as, when fit, he's clearly one of our better players.

And who do you think, based on your assessment would take over his contract and pay us what we paid for him?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VT05763 said:

You may be right but I am not convinced with the "old medical team bad" and "new medical team brilliant" mantra trotted out by many.

We may just have several injury prone players on our books. 

Check the appearance record of Williams at his previous clubs- he's only been injury prone since he moved here!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

F@ck me there are some replies on here.

Get rid ? When/how ? He's under contract and not fit, which means no one will buy him and he stays. 
So we get him fit? Great, but when fit he is clearly one of the better players at the Club. 
The aim has to be try and get him fit, if that turns out not to be possible he will end up being released. We will only get money for him when fit, and that would mean playing in the first team . 
Previously he played 34 games for Bolton, 34 for Barnsley and 38 for Wigan. He's no sick note. When he came back under Holden he was pressed into play twice in a few days after a year off, that set him back miles. Yesterday may not be as bad as we fear, a tear and he wouldn't have ran up and down. I'm hoping it was a tight hamstring and nothing more serious. 

My worry now is without Williams, with Masengo a doubt and King not looking good. Our MF looks very weak

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Korey had a number of significant injuries when he was with us, and I think we can agree he was a player who left having made a significant, positive contribution to Bristol City becoming an established Championship side - as well as a goal or two!

Hopefully people aren't too quick to write off Williams, his reaction to this latest set-back shows how much he wants to succeed on the pitch and I don't think it's too much to ask to expect supporters to rally behind him, rather than throwing comments around like 'sick note'.

Always amazes me how football fans like to insult injured players.

I'm sure no footballer wants to be injured, not least because they're probably in a lot of pain ffs but also because I'm sure 99% of them just want to be on the pitch.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Always amazes me how football fans like to insult injured players.

I'm sure no footballer wants to be injured, not least because they're probably in a lot of pain ffs but also because I'm sure 99% of them just want to be on the pitch.

Agree.

As someone who had their first Cartilage op at 19, a double hernia, a ruptured ACL and three more cartilage ops by the time I called it a day at 30/31, it would’ve been easy to label me injury prone / sick note / the Darren Anderton on local football, but some of those were caused because I wanted to play, often when not fully fit.

Nobody wants to be injured.  Some players might only feel right to play when 100%, some willing to play at 90%.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He's played a handful of games in a year and a half. Doesn't seem successful to me. That's not to write him off, but we've had very little returns from him so far.

Maybe the guy needs a little bit of luck to go his way, sure we have a good player lets all wish him well in getting fit.

35 minutes ago, KegCity said:

He's played a handful of games in a year and a half. Doesn't seem successful to me. That's not to write him off, but we've had very little returns from him so far.

I think you can evaluate the signing in many ways.

If you want to go black and white, has he been a success on the pitch in a season and a bit….it’s a no.  Nobody can really argue that.

But if you want to look at some mitigating circumstances it becomes much more grey doesn’t it.

I don’t think there’s much doubt that if we can keep him fit (big if) then he looks like he’s a big improvement on what we’ve had.

It must be so frustrating to have got through 90 v Peterborough, get an international break and then get injured early v Bournemouth.  He probably thought it was really his time to kick on and put it all behind him.

1 hour ago, Peter Coles said:

Maybe the guy needs a little bit of luck to go his way, sure we have a good player lets all wish him well in getting fit.

Of course, certainly wasn't trying to put him down. Just pointing out that we're not really getting a return on our investment currently. Whether that's down to Williams being injury prone, mismanagement from the medical staff, or simply bad luck we don't know (and it doesn't change the outcome anyway.)

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think you can evaluate the signing in many ways.

If you want to go black and white, has he been a success on the pitch in a season and a bit….it’s a no.  Nobody can really argue that.

But if you want to look at some mitigating circumstances it becomes much more grey doesn’t it.

I don’t think there’s much doubt that if we can keep him fit (big if) then he looks like he’s a big improvement on what we’ve had.

It must be so frustrating to have got through 90 v Peterborough, get an international break and then get injured early v Bournemouth.  He probably thought it was really his time to kick on and put it all behind him.

Agree with all of that Dave, like you say though keeping him fit is a big if, and based on the way it's gone so far it's looking less likely as problems keep reemerging. Again, I'm not trying to write him off but it's difficult to put him in contention to run our midfield when his legs seem to be made of prawn crackers. Undoubtedly he's a top player when fit, but if he's unreliable again this season then I'm not sure where he goes from here.