IGNORED

Let’s not overreact

Robbored

9 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Out thought, out classed, out played - have said it before, but we just need to stay up this season. Teams like Bournemouth are way above this City eleven. 

We'll comfortably stay up.

Bournemouth are way above us though. They should win the league. 

Nige is well-known for liking pace in his teams. He has pretty much none to work with in this current team. I'm excited to see what a Pearson team looks like in 12-18 months. Very different to the current one I bet. 

• Like 5

Thought this was the first game this season we were totally outclassed, and given we're 12 games in that's better than I was expecting.

That said though, I'm struggling with where we were on the scale between being outclassed because they were so much better, and outclassed because we were awful.

A team playing very well can make you look awful, and clearly we had a pretty awful start with still no Massengo, Atkinson out, and Williams off after 10m...  but I was still disappointed that it didn't feel we were at least battling all over the pitch - even if we were losing all those battles. I could accept that, but feel like apart from a few (like Kalas) we didn't even get that far.

I'd rather we fought and lost the fight, than didn't fight at all. I was just desperate for us to let them have the ball then get properly stuck in to them once they got forward rather than randomly attempt some poorly executed "press" high up the pitch. They were good enough they just passed around it and made us look a bit foolish, and I thought the whole attempt was rather pointless against a team that good.

Oh well. 12 games in and we're 11th. Better than I was expecting and I can accept one very poor performance... not seeing a win at home is really starting to get to me though I have to say!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We'll comfortably stay up.

Bournemouth are way above us though. They should win the league. 

Nige is well-known for liking pace in his teams. He has pretty much none to work with in this current team. I'm excited to see what a Pearson team looks like in 12-18 months. Very different to the current one I bet. 

Not sure he makes it that far. Either from his point of view with this squad and lack of options to sign better more suited players, or from higher up losing patience.

31 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Meh. We gave them far too much respect. Nobody tried to physically challenge their opposite number/marker. They’re good, but we made them look world class.

Another frustrating home performance.

Completely agree. Yes Bournemouth are a good side, but I thought they were no better than Fulham. And against Fulham we gave it a real go (in a game we should have lost given the chances they missed near the end). 

We made it very easy for Bournemouth today. Often because we made poor decisions. For example, in the first half when we tried to play it out, Baker passed to Kalas, who went right and passed to Tanner, who was on the touchline and already being pressed and we lost the ball. So predictable. One of many examples of us passing into trouble. And very frustrating because Baker was in loads of space and Kalas switching it back to him would have been the much better option. I’m not singling those players out, Kalas especially was one of our better performers today, but it was just an example of how we are so predictable and one dimensional. The Bournemouth players knew exactly what we were going to do because we telegraphed it and, hey, presto, we gave away the ball. 

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

So,  a premier squad made us look average.  We're a work in progress.  Calm down 

Genuine question here….aside from stopping the rot of the second half of last season, where’s the progress? 

We still have no pace in the team and look absolutely dreadful going forward. Centre midfield continues to be an issue….it has been for god knows how many years now. We still play the same lethargic, dull, un-inspiring football that we have been playing the last 3 years

Pearson has had 10 months and a pre-season….and we still haven’t mustered a home win. Away from home has looked ok but let’s not forget our away form has been good the last 2 or 3 years . It’s our home form that has always let us down and continues to do so. I don’t see any sign of it improving any time soon 

I really like Pearson and has always said he should be the right man to take us forward, but let’s be honest….his first 10 months in charge has not been good enough. He has to do better as do the players when they get picked 

We had a number of experienced players out there today and their performance as individuals and as a team was pathetic and no where near good enough 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Tend to agree.  Bournemouth we’re good, but we were bad, not just because they were good.  We would’ve struggled against anyone today.

It happens unfortunately.  Every team has an off day. When it happens against a decent side it looks worse. A poor performance coupled with injuries in game is a recipe for disaster. I think we have a management team that will take that in their stride though, rather than tearing things up and starting again. 

Was my first game since pre lockdown today, so I'm not in the best position to comment on how things have been thus far this season. 

However, today was no different to anything I saw under LJ. Yes, Bournemouth were excellent and of course they are financially in a different league to us. But I would have liked to have seen some fight or passion today, none of that was on show however. 

Looking at results and reading stuff on here there are obviously improvements, however that's 16 home matches without a win, that's abysmal and if LJ had gone through a run like that this place would be rioting. 

We can't take much from a game v a side like Bournemouth, however the main positive today was that they took their foot off the accelerator which stopped it from being 3 or 4. The minimum that a team should give is effort, and that wasn't there today. This sounds like a one off, but it's still very disappointing. 

12 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Was my first game since pre lockdown today, so I'm not in the best position to comment on how things have been thus far this season. 

However, today was no different to anything I saw under LJ. Yes, Bournemouth were excellent and of course they are financially in a different league to us. But I would have liked to have seen some fight or passion today, none of that was on show however. 

Looking at results and reading stuff on here there are obviously improvements, however that's 16 home matches without a win, that's abysmal and if LJ had gone through a run like that this place would be rioting. 

We can't take much from a game v a side like Bournemouth, however the main positive today was that they took their foot off the accelerator which stopped it from being 3 or 4. The minimum that a team should give is effort, and that wasn't there today. This sounds like a one off, but it's still very disappointing. 

Disappointing today, up against an excellent side. Regarding fight & passion this season - plenty of that on display at Peterborough or QPR to be fair. Pearson can only work with what he's got. Contrast the resources lavished on LJ with the thin gruel Pearson has to work with and it's obvious that this is going to be long haul.

As for Lee Johnson. Wasn't like him to go on a losing streak was it?

Let's not forget that whatever our record at the Gate the results this season are W4 D4 L4 - not lost 8 on the spin, or 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

Yea Bournemouth are a superior team but the only way you beat a team like that is by working hard, implementing tactics to nullify them and showing some fight/passion. All of that was lacking today and that was the thing that p1ssed a lot of people off. It isn’t cheap watching City, and the minimum expectation should be effort from those on the pitch. We were extremely lucky to not be on the end of an absolute pasting today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Yes, Bournemouth were much better, but still they only managed 2 goals from all that possession and conceded 3 or 4 very presentable chances. What I find depressing is the thought that we are years away from getting to even their level (and if we keep losing our best players we never will).

Yrs total agreement. We have to keep our best players and young academy stars  long term to give the basis to bring in players in making us a promotion side. But I still feel Mr Lansdown does not want to fund it that way. And I do feel we do need more finiscial.backing than just Lansdown if we are going to teach the promised land. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

B’muff we’re outstanding all over the pitch and City barely laid a glove of them. They were quicker, slicker and sharper both in and out of possession and their full backs were causing havoc down both flanks. The gulf is class was there for all to see and City will have to get as good on a consistent basis to threaten the pray-offs over the remaining games this season and the next two full seasons.

It was remarkable that B’muff didn’t score 4 or 5 today especially when City were 10 after King went off injured.

Nige has his work cut out to lift the guys ready for another tough Championship fixture against Forest on Tuesday eve when hopefully City can finally get a win at AG before yet another tough test at the Baggies next Saturday.

Onwards and upwards guys!

Robbo pray offs really? yes we know anything can happen, why do you persist in this annoying habit of describing them as such, are you being deliberately annoying? 

Edited by pillred
punctuation
  • Confused 1

Just now, pillred said:

Robbo pray offs really? yes we know any thing can happen, why do you persist in this annoying habit of describing them as such, are you being deliberately annoying? 

The fans of the four clubs that qualify for the play offs all pray that their team wins them - hence the ‘pray’ offs.

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

They were no better than Fulham. As much as I rate Nigel, I felt his tactics were off today. Williams injury beyond his control but subsequent changes didn’t help us.

Not sure tactics were off….execution and commitment definitely were.

we played 442, 352, 3412, 343, 451 at various spells today, and neither of them stopped Bournemouth.  They carved us open at will second half, although we had a 1 minute spell ???

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not sure tactics were off….execution and commitment definitely were.

we played 442, 352, 3412, 343, 451 at various spells today, and neither of them stopped Bournemouth.  They carved us open at will second half, although we had a 1 minute spell ???

I’m not so sure that commitment was missing from the City players, execution was maybe but that was largely down to the opposition who, as we know were excellent. They stifled City when out of possession, blocked our passing options and were generally better than us all over the pitch. Nige said post match that we were beaten by a better side.

Cahill and Kelly had very little to do whilst Billing(?) bossed the midfield. Their full backs exposed both flanks with ease and that might be why CoD was replaced at half time and why City were better second 45.

All that said - Atkinson and Massengo were both missing and firstly the unlucky Williams get injured again followed not long after by King going off leaving City with 10 men for the last 15mins or so.

So…….taking all that into consideration might help lessen the blow of a home defeat.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Genuine question here….aside from stopping the rot of the second half of last season, where’s the progress? 

We still have no pace in the team and look absolutely dreadful going forward. Centre midfield continues to be an issue….it has been for god knows how many years now. We still play the same lethargic, dull, un-inspiring football that we have been playing the last 3 years

Pearson has had 10 months and a pre-season….and we still haven’t mustered a home win. Away from home has looked ok but let’s not forget our away form has been good the last 2 or 3 years . It’s our home form that has always let us down and continues to do so. I don’t see any sign of it improving any time soon 

I really like Pearson and has always said he should be the right man to take us forward, but let’s be honest….his first 10 months in charge has not been good enough. He has to do better as do the players when they get picked 

We had a number of experienced players out there today and their performance as individuals and as a team was pathetic and no where near good enough 

Lack of a home win is incredibly frustrating but Pearson has had to cut the wage budget since last seasons shambles and only been able to bring in four players.

We were basically the worst team in the league for the second half of last season and now we're 11th with quarter of the season gone. Clear, steady, progress. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Disappointing today, up against an excellent side. Regarding fight & passion this season - plenty of that on display at Peterborough or QPR to be fair. Pearson can only work with what he's got. Contrast the resources lavished on LJ with the thin gruel Pearson has to work with and it's obvious that this is going to be long haul.

As for Lee Johnson. Wasn't like him to go on a losing streak was it?

Let's not forget that whatever our record at the Gate the results this season are W4 D4 L4 - not lost 8 on the spin, or 7 out of 10.

Yep, Pearson can only work with what he’s got, however you expect us to at least try and make things difficult for the opposition, no matter how good they are. At the end of the day, we’re both in the same league, so it was disappointing that we gave them so much respect today and let them play through us. No matter how small your budget is, any manager should be able to make their players play like they want it, we certainly didn’t look like we wanted it today.

I’m not comparing Johnson with Pearson, there’s little point in doing that. However, today was hardly a massive step up to what we’ve seen in the past few years. Other performances may well have been better, but today was dire, to put it lightly. 

I don’t think we can just ignore the home form either, despite the good away results. The season as a whole has been fine, but 16 home matches without a win is terrible. Hopefully that’ll change soon, but we can’t just brush it under the carpet

3 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Not sure he makes it that far. Either from his point of view with this squad and lack of options to sign better more suited players, or from higher up losing patience.

So Lee Johnson got 5 years but Nigel Pearson will get just a couple before he gets the boot? 

Our owner has his moments but that would take the biscuit. 

• Like 2