IGNORED

Let’s not overreact

Robbored

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yrs total agreement. We have to keep our best players and young academy stars  long term to give the basis to bring in players in making us a promotion side. But I still feel Mr Lansdown does not want to fund it that way. And I do feel we do need more finiscial.backing than just Lansdown if we are going to teach the promised land. 

It doesn't make any difference how many financial backers we have.

FFP will still only allow us to spend a set amount, whoever's paying the bills.

I agree about finding a way to keep our best players for longer though. 

We were terrible. This utter **** about Premier League team etc is galling. They were better but you have to find a way to stop them even if it looks a bit ugly. We couldn’t get anywhere near the ball to even spoil their rhythm. 

Williams got injured and it was as if the entire team and a good deal of others used that as an excuse to be awful and accept an Utterly pathetic display. 

Pearson said when he came here the perception of this club for him as a player and manager was we are soft.

To At least have the mentality to compete when the going is difficult continues to make us look soft, which is what we are.

41 years without a game in the top division is hard enough to take, but utter embarrassment is too much. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t overreact? You said yourself could have been 4 or 5. This is at home mind you. That level of performance is unacceptable against any side in our division. They started 4 players with less than 20 championship games under their belt. Yes they are better. Yes not many expected points but we were embarrassed. We have played better against better championship sides in recent seasons. 

There is no overreaction. We were poor all over the park and the disappointment is that includes desire and toughness. This sets the bar for worst performance imo and if we have a few more like it, I’d start to worry. That said, I expect much better on Tuesday and anticipate it’ll be better. Just need to store this under can’t happen again.

Well said. 
Our performance was largely awful. Peterborough drew 0-0 with Bournemouth because they had a game plan. I didn’t see one from us.

I thought NP had a poor day as well. With Williams off injured, the subbing of O’Dowda at half-time was totally unnecessary and risky, especially with Pring (barely lasts a game) still on the park plus a couple of old lags. Three subs instead of five makes a difference.
But I also didn’t see a game plan. We just let them have a day out in the sunshine. Utter dross.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So Lee Johnson got 5 years but Nigel Pearson will get just a couple before he gets the boot? 

Our owner has his moments but that would take the biscuit. 

To be fair, Lee Johnson had four years, and for the first two seasons we progressed (11th in 2016/17; 8th in 2017/18).  I doubt anyone would deny that 2017/18 was a very entertaining and satisfying season, albeit with a disappointing end when we failed to make the playoffs.  You may have forgotten that Johnson was being talked about as one of the best young coaches in Europe.  There were certainly signs that we were getting better and professing, but we started going backwards in 2018/19 after selling our best players.

Pearson’s inability to win a home match, and his failure to take any responsibility for poor team selection and baffling substitutes would have done for many managers.  I suspect that the patience of even the diehards may be beginning to wear thin.  What we saw yesterday, after eight months of Pearson, cannot be regarded as progress in any form.  The truth is that in very few matches, even the ones we win, are we playing well.  Yes, we seem to be more resilient than in the recent past, but the flaws were there to be seen yesterday, in graphic detail.  I want him to succeed but has a manager ever gone this long from the start of a managerial appointment without winning a home game, and I don’t mean just at City?

I’m not saying sack him (though my son is) but there has to be some improvement because performances yesterday (including the performance of the manager) are simply unacceptable.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m not so sure that commitment was missing from the City players, execution was maybe but that was largely down to the opposition who, as we know were excellent. They stifled City when out of possession, blocked our passing options and were generally better than us all over the pitch. Nige said post match that we were beaten by a better side.

Cahill and Kelly had very little to do whilst Billing(?) bossed the midfield. Their full backs exposed both flanks with ease and that might be why CoD was replaced at half time and why City were better second 45.

All that said - Atkinson and Massengo were both missing and firstly the unlucky Williams get injured again followed not long after by King going off leaving City with 10 men for the last 15mins or so.

So…….taking all that into consideration might help lessen the blow of a home defeat.

Commitment is missing when you fail to lay a finger on the opposition. Only takes a few players and the system breaks down. Yesterday was the day for a “George Tanner tackle” to get players going like against Fulham. We never got close to Billing or Kilkenny, Stacey and Lowe had easy afternoons. 

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It doesn't make any difference how many financial backers we have.

FFP will still only allow us to spend a set amount, whoever's paying the bills.

I agree about finding a way to keep our best players for longer though. 

Exactly. The number of people who proclaim ignorance of FFP still, astounds me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Lack of a home win is incredibly frustrating but Pearson has had to cut the wage budget since last seasons shambles and only been able to bring in four players.

We were basically the worst team in the league for the second half of last season and now we're 11th with quarter of the season gone. Clear, steady, progress. 

Agreed.
And here is the crux of the problem. The shambles of last season will haunt us all for a season or two until the mess is sorted out by Nige.
Forget Bournemouth they are light years ahead of us. Barnsley are more our level.

Edited by GasDestroyer
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Commitment is missing when you fail to lay a finger on the opposition. Only takes a few players and the system breaks down. Yesterday was the day for a “George Tanner tackle” to get players going like against Fulham. We never got close to Billing or Kilkenny, Stacey and Lowe had easy afternoons. 

Not necessarily. It was down to B’muff being so good. The only City player that obviously lacked 100% commitment was CoD and he was replaced at halftime and possibly who Nige was referring to about ‘not taking their chance’  post match. I’ll be surprised if he’s involved on Tuesday against Forest.

The three defenders, Tanner, Kalas and Baker and keeper Bentley were largely responsible for keeping the score at at two. Dasliva was fully committed when he came on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

To be fair, Lee Johnson had four years, and for the first two seasons we progressed (11th in 2016/17; 8th in 2017/18).  I doubt anyone would deny that 2017/18 was a very entertaining and satisfying season, albeit with a disappointing end when we failed to make the playoffs.  You may have forgotten that Johnson was being talked about as one of the best young coaches in Europe.  There were certainly signs that we were getting better and professing, but we started going backwards in 2018/19 after selling our best players.

Pearson’s inability to win a home match, and his failure to take any responsibility for poor team selection and baffling substitutes would have done for many managers.  I suspect that the patience of even the diehards may be beginning to wear thin.  What we saw yesterday, after eight months of Pearson, cannot be regarded as progress in any form.  The truth is that in very few matches, even the ones we win, are we playing well.  Yes, we seem to be more resilient than in the recent past, but the flaws were there to be seen yesterday, in graphic detail.  I want him to succeed but has a manager ever gone this long from the start of a managerial appointment without winning a home game, and I don’t mean just at City?

I’m not saying sack him (though my son is) but there has to be some improvement because performances yesterday (including the performance of the manager) are simply unacceptable.

Spot on, any other manager for any team that had not won at home for over 9 months would surely have been shown the door, the excuses being made for Pearson can surely only go on for so long.

9 minutes ago, pillred said:

Spot on, any other manager for any team that had not won at home for over 9 months would surely have been shown the door, the excuses being made for Pearson can surely only go on for so long.

If there was a widely accepted risk of relegation and he currently had them in 11th I'd strongly disagree, crap home form or not.

At the start of the year most were talking about survival, building, and finishing 20th if we have to. Now we're pretty happily mid table and people are calling for him to get the sack.

Absolutely madness.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

If there was a widely accepted risk of relegation and he currently had them in 11th I'd strongly disagree, crap home form or not.

At the start of the year most were talking about survival, building, and finishing 20th if we have to. Now we're pretty happily mid table and people are calling for him to get the sack.

Absolutely madness.

I merely stated that the excuses for our poor performances and home form can only go on for so long, when would you admit it was not acceptable? everybody has a different tolerance level mine is maybe a bit lower than yours.

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

I merely stated that the excuses for our poor performances and home form can only go on for so long, when would you admit it was not acceptable? everybody has a different tolerance level mine is maybe a bit lower than yours.

Of course, and as someone with a season ticket who doesn't go to away games currently I'm not exactly saying it's great. It's still better than I expected at the start of the season though so I'll take it.

Overall I'm happy enough currently - although If every game starts trending towards performances like yesterday I'd probably change my tune. I'm reasonably confident that wont happen though!

Given I consider us a lower mid table team I'm trying to be a bit more stoic this year in the face of crap performances, as that's exactly what I'm expecting a few of unfortunately...

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Of course, and as someone with a season ticket who doesn't go to away games currently I'm not exactly saying it's great. It's still better than I expected at the start of the season though so I'll take it.

Overall I'm happy enough currently - although If every game starts trending towards performances like yesterday I'd probably change my tune. I'm reasonably confident that wont happen though!

Given I consider us a lower mid table team I'm trying to be a bit more stoic this year in the face of crap performances, as that's exactly what I'm expecting a few of unfortunately...

Our injuries seem to be mounting again which obviously hasn't helped, perhaps I expected too much from his appointment but I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment I really hope you are right and in time we will improve but as fans we always seem to be waiting for that.   

42 minutes ago, pillred said:

Our injuries seem to be mounting again which obviously hasn't helped, perhaps I expected too much from his appointment but I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment I really hope you are right and in time we will improve but as fans we always seem to be waiting for that.   

I like many have been waiting over 25 years and have seen the club very nearly go out of existence. So I am happy with where we are.

I was just trying to find crumbs of comfort to cheer me up, I only had to look at last season.

Yesterday was the first time this season, 12 games, that we’ve lost by more than a goal, all tight games that could have gone either way, until yesterday.

The last 12 games of last season we lost by more than a goal 7 times! 

1 hour ago, pillred said:

How many poor performances have their been?  Home results have been poor, but away results stellar.  Away results have come with a mixture of performances too.

It is unusual to have such wildly contrasting home and away results, it’s usually the other way around, can’t buy a win away from home.

Yesterday was poor, not denying that.

43 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I was just trying to find crumbs of comfort to cheer me up, I only had to look at last season.

Yesterday was the first time this season, 12 games, that we’ve lost by more than a goal, all tight games that could have gone either way, until yesterday.

The last 12 games of last season we lost by more than a goal 7 times! 

Ok, I'll try.

The one positive I can take is the defence. Despite Bournemouth having all that possession we only conceded two. Not only that but Bentley didn't have many tough saves to make. Just about all of the rest often was awful, but Kalas and Baker in particular put in a shift.

Edited by Calculus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pillred said:

What excuses would that be?

Unlucky at least twice at AG by conceding very late goals.

Remember that Pearson is gradually rebuilding after the shambles left by LJ and DH and that takes time and already we’ve seen improvements in fitness and our away form.

City are a quarter of the way thru the season.

• Like 1