IGNORED

O’Dowda

Henry

3 hours ago, RedM said:

At the time I assumed he didn’t recover from the knock he had before HT. As you said we wasted a sub.

O’Dowda is passionate about the club, I’ve sat near him when he has been in with the fans at away matches. But he can’t seem to channel that drive on the pitch, he either hasn’t got the talent or the desire. He at 26 is a senior pro, but still seems like one of the youngsters who needs better players around him to help him. He should be one of the ones our less experienced players learn from.

Well put RedM.

He’s a very likeable lad off the pitch (bit like Taylor Moore), and has forged a career than many of us can only dream of.  But he can’t turn it on where it matters.

We are lauding tracking his man against Peterborough as “goal saving”.

We are lauding a break from his box with the ball at his feet into space, then fouled.  That should be a regular occurrence during the match.

He gets debate on here because some posters are at the extremes, either over-praising or over-criticising “average”.

I guess I will wait to see how many minutes Nige continues to give him, but I was hugely disappointed with his effort today, especially in his partnership with Pring.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

Think he was ok first half. Pace and had a good pass to Wells,we could have scored there. First half vs Posh think he did better then usual. Not a fan of COD but now think he has more ideas then before. Makes his defender and put the ball in to the box. His stats are awful so far in our Club. If he could score or get an assist his confidence will be better. Dont says so mutch but Think he is better now then before. Still not the player i thought he could be. He got pace and is tricky, really hope he can make it but I have my doubts.

144 league appearances

7 goals 

10 assists 

How anyone could think the above is good is crazy,

Even more the fact he was basically refusing to sign a contract, thinking someone better would come and didn’t proved a point.  No one wanted him on a free, yet we are still going for him?

I personally think he’s dreadful at this level and those stats prove it. 

He’s an international player all by luck, being English but having Irish grandparents. He would never in a million years get in the England team, so he’s lucky he’s been given the chance for a country he’s not actually from. 

Edited by S25loyal
  • Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, And Its Smith said:

It’s because these managers rate him and so they pick him. The fans that don’t rate him might not know as much as the managers maybe 

Think it will be interesting to see if the current manager continues to pick him when others are available. 

• Like 2

Not really sure what to make of COD yesterday, as alluded to you could argue he was our only bright spot offensively  but his off the  ball work was horrendous.

Ultimately, whilst it eventually backfired with King, I would have said the sub and change of shape actually worked. Dasilva and Tanner playing more advanced then became pretty much our only attacking outlet and any half chances came from them.

Think COD suffers on here with same issue Pack had on here where people are so strong in their views. Those that rate him really rate him and vice versa, for me he lands somewhere in the middle. A bang average midfielder and if we want to progress cannot be first choice but could do a role as a 'squad player'.

Part of me would like to see him play in the middle like he does for Ireland and if King/Williams aee out and HNM not fit we could see that...

Edited by hinsleburg
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Not really sure what to make of COD yesterday, as alluded to you could argue he was our only bright spot offensively  but his off the  ball work was horrendous.

Ultimately, whilst it eventually backfired with King, I would have said the sub and change of shape actually worked. Dasilva and Tanner playing more advanced then became pretty much our only attacking outlet and any half chances came from them.

Think COD suffers on here with same issue Pack had on here where people are so strong in their views. Those that rate him really rate him and vice versa, for me he lands somewhere in the middle. A bang average midfielder and if we want to progress cannot be first choice but could do a role as a 'squad player'.

Part of me would like to see him play in the middle like he does for Ireland and if King/Williams aee out and HNM not fit we could see that...

Good post.  As you say, Tanner and Dasilva gave us something second half.

O’Dowda hasn’t played in centre midfield for Ireland for some time. And then it tended to be a 352 (CM in a 3). By my reckoning it was 2018 v Denmark under Martin O’Neill.

Tuesdays team selection will be very interesting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post.  As you say, Tanner and Dasilva gave us something second half.

O’Dowda hasn’t played in centre midfield for Ireland for some time. And then it tended to be a 352 (CM in a 3). By my reckoning it was 2018 v Denmark under Martin O’Neill.

Tuesdays team selection will be very interesting. 

Yeah I knew it hadn't been for a while but didn't expect that long!

I think the main frustration with COD comes from what he clearly can do. Purely from his build/attributes he should be someone really exciting who excels at this level. We see bits in the training videos of him beating players, scoring/assisting, he looks strong, quick, direct…. This maybe answers why he is constantly selected. 
But when he actually plays, he is a timid, weak, “safe” player. 

As much as he has been picked by all managers, he has never really nailed down a position, and he usually has 2-3 good games maximum per season (that’s a fact, and his stats back that up) 

He doesn’t create lots of goals, he doesn’t score lots of goals, he’s not a great outlet at carrying the ball forward, he doesn’t track back and help the team (remember Norwich away when LJ publicly stated this after his wonder goal in that game) 

I think he’s had more than enough chances, he’s had more than enough time to develop and become consistent, but he hasn’t, and sadly it doesn’t look like he ever will here. 

Because he doesn’t have assist/goal threat, you sadly can’t accommodate him in a team, Eliasson for example is far easier to justify based on him delivering as many assists in 1 season, as COD has in 6 years.  

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

16 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I would have liked COD to have been given 10 minutes as WB/LMF when we went 3 at the back. While he has done OK in CMF at times, I don't think he gets in ahead of Jakes, King, Williams, Masengo, possibly even Palmer & Bakinson. On the left of a front 3 (or right as I know some prefer) but I don't think we look good with a front 3 ATM. 
I think that the fact we were so bad to a man, made NP make the 2nd change when he did, try to shake the rest up? Who knows really. I would have liked to be able to beef up the midfield, the options we had wouldn't have done that, and that's a worry for Tuesday. 
With Williams' history, the way King pulled up, the complete absence of HNM ? Doesn't bode well. Add Bakers who would be a natural change to a 3 and those old injury worries are reappearing. 

A good point @ohhhshauntaylor makes about COD being timid. If he took a lesson from HNM and built up, he'd be knocking player over like his build looks like he should. I think he might get a start in MF by default Vs Forest, but IMO his days are numbered unless he shows Nige a lot more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I would have liked COD to have been given 10 minutes as WB/LMF when we went 3 at the back. While he has done OK in CMF at times, I don't think he gets in ahead of Jakes, King, Williams, Masengo, possibly even Palmer & Bakinson. On the left of a front 3 (or right as I know some prefer) but I don't think we look good with a front 3 ATM. 
I think that the fact we were so bad to a man, made NP make the 2nd change when he did, try to shake the rest up? Who knows really. I would have liked to be able to beef up the midfield, the options we had wouldn't have done that, and that's a worry for Tuesday. 
With Williams' history, the way King pulled up, the complete absence of HNM ? Doesn't bode well. Add Bakers who would be a natural change to a 3 and those old injury worries are reappearing. 

A good point @ohhhshauntaylor makes about COD being timid. If he took a lesson from HNM and built up, he'd be knocking player over like his build looks like he should. I think he might get a start in MF by default Vs Forest, but IMO his days are numbered unless he shows Nige a lot more.

I think he has the stature and build that he is already “beefed up” but he’s just weak/timid. I don’t think you can coach that into someone. 

• Like 2

Just now, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I think he has the stature and build that he is already “beefed up” but he’s just weak/timid. I don’t think you can coach that into someone. 

You might be right in that he doesn't seem to have that desire, that HNM clearly does. I still think he seems to lack that 'strength' to hold player off easily. Of course it may be inner strength he lacks.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why does he get picked by every manager he’s ever worked with? Maybe he’s better than some believe. He’s not sat in the reserves for 5 years. Yes he’s had injuries but when fit he has been picked 

I think you’ve missed a key word out there…. picked by every failed manager…oh, and don’t forget our failure of a CEO, who bizarrely awarded him a lucrative, extended contract…. even when those with the most basic of football knowledge knew it was rank stupidity. 

This era of building a team of ‘good humans’ at City must be ending soon, and it can’t come fast enough.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can I go slightly against the grain. I think defensively he was poor, but offensively he was our only outlet first half. Made a few good runs, and put on a more than acceptable chance for Wells that he blazed wide.

What summed up COD for me was when he made a driving run, got fouled and earns a free kick in a good position but didn’t beat the front man when taking.

I know he’s not popular, but he at least looked like getting us on the front foot.

That lasted two minutes. He made two runs . The one he got the corner from he had plenty of time to get the ball in but yet again tied himself into knots. He’s a legend in his own head. I’ve never rated him & was amazed he got a new contract. I’ll be equally amazed if he’s here next season. Nowhere near championship quality. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think you’ve missed a key word out there…. picked by every failed manager…oh, and don’t forget our failure of a CEO, who bizarrely awarded him a lucrative, extended contract…. even when those with the most basic of football knowledge knew it was rank stupidity. 

This era of building a team of ‘good humans’ at City must be ending soon, and it can’t come fast enough.

Picked by managers who know a lot more about the game than me and you at club and international level. 

I didn't think he was the worst we had out there in the first half yesterday but I do think he is a poor player

What will annoy me is he is the sort of player who will go to another Championship club and do well for them, when he has been pretty poor for City.

52 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I think the main frustration with COD comes from what he clearly can do. Purely from his build/attributes he should be someone really exciting who excels at this level. We see bits in the training videos of him beating players, scoring/assisting, he looks strong, quick, direct…. This maybe answers why he is constantly selected. 
But when he actually plays, he is a timid, weak, “safe” player. 

As much as he has been picked by all managers, he has never really nailed down a position, and he usually has 2-3 good games maximum per season (that’s a fact, and his stats back that up) 

He doesn’t create lots of goals, he doesn’t score lots of goals, he’s not a great outlet at carrying the ball forward, he doesn’t track back and help the team (remember Norwich away when LJ publicly stated this after his wonder goal in that game) 

I think he’s had more than enough chances, he’s had more than enough time to develop and become consistent, but he hasn’t, and sadly it doesn’t look like he ever will here. 

Because he doesn’t have assist/goal threat, you sadly can’t accommodate him in a team, Eliasson for example is far easier to justify based on him delivering as many assists in 1 season, as COD has in 6 years.  

Out of likes here but you have absolutely nailed it here for me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Again out of likes but completely agree. 

I had hoped he was going out the door in the summer with the other family feel/good humans but alas not. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If O'Dowda is physically weak then I hate to imagine what words would describe the likes of Weimann, Paterson, and other physically weaker wide men we have had over the years.

Weimann and Paterson both effect/effected the games with goals and assists- you can take their physicality and accept it vs what they offer you. 

it’s also not a comparison, COD is built differently to AW & JP. 

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Picked by managers who know a lot more about the game than me and you at club and international level. 

OK. Johnson, Holden didn’t prove me wrong. Certainly, ‘Mr Football’, Mark Ashton, didn’t. 

I wonder if Nige will persist? I like Nige. I really hope he does prove me wrong, I really do, both for his and CODs sake. 

Ireland, on a tailspin of a downward spiral, I’ve no idea who their manager is/was…. is he in their current squad of third rate players? Possibly, but no great shakes if he is quite frankly. 

Notwithstanding his own challenges, Williams appears to have quite similar physical attributes to O’Dowda, strong but athletic. But his (Joe’s) ability to impose himself on opponents is like night and day with Callum’s. As others have said COD appears to be one of those classic cases of all the attributes, but for whatever reason is unable to make the most of them. Suspect NP patience running out rapidly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Move on

What - CoD move to another club? Good idea 

13 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Why has COD been paid by us for 5ish years. How many other players get that much time to prove they're bang average?

Nice way to earn a living I guess!

I don’t think he’ll be earning a living with City for much longer with Nigel as manager. 

11 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Class ?

O_Dowda_flick.gif

Good two seconds. What about the other 44 minutes and 58 seconds of the first half?

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But it means that O'Dowda is better in physical duels than those players.

As for people saying he lacks aggression. Well compared to Joe Williams, yes. How many really aggressive players have we had over the years. Hard to think of that many.

But I'd say he's more aggressive than some. He made a hard sliding challenge on a Peterborough player that was wrongly given as a foul. Nothing particularly special about it, but I can't see how he can go in any harder. He also jumps and competes well in his aerial duels. For example he was defending corners last season very well.

We have even had centre halves who have so little aggression. I think we can all agree that is one position where they really do have to aggressively win balls. Magnússon was very weak in the challenge and Hegeler looked like he really didn't fancy it. The most timid 6 foot 4 giant of a footballer you will ever see.

So I think fair enough if people want O'Dowda to become a more aggressive player that smashes into players like Joe Williams. But I would then expect all the others that also aren't super aggressive to be criticised in the same way, which generally they are not.

I don’t think we all want him today start being someone who dives into tackles etc, I think we all just want to see him have positive impacts on the game! 

for his size, build, and attributes, he should do far far more than he does. 
He should be more direct, braver on the ball, and supply more chances- it’s frustrating as we know he can (1-2 times a season) do this, but for where we are, and where we want to be he needs to be doing it far more often. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️ OhShaun beat me too it.

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

He has a fantastic physique, just no clue how to use it.

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

But it means that O'Dowda is better in physical duels than those players.

As for people saying he lacks aggression. Well compared to Joe Williams, yes. How many really aggressive players have we had over the years. Hard to think of that many.

But I'd say he's more aggressive than some. He made a hard sliding challenge on a Peterborough player that was wrongly given as a foul. Nothing particularly special about it, but I can't see how he can go in any harder. He also jumps and competes well in his aerial duels. For example he was defending corners last season very well.

We have even had centre halves who have so little aggression. I think we can all agree that is one position where they really do have to aggressively win balls. Magnússon was very weak in the challenge and Hegeler looked like he really didn't fancy it. The most timid 6 foot 4 giant of a footballer you will ever see.

So I think fair enough if people want O'Dowda to become a more aggressive player that smashes into players like Joe Williams. But I would then expect all the others that also aren't super aggressive to be criticised in the same way, which generally they are not.

For every example you find of Callum doing something physical, I’ll find you countless others of where he completely fails to use his athletic build to his advantage.  A dangled leg on the touchline on halfway yesterday, a header on the edge of the box against a shorter opponent that he loses because he jumps with no thought to body position of himself or where his opponent is jumping from, a push off the ball by Stacey.  At times he looks completely startled at what he’s up against.

He has some serious flaws in his overall game, and yet has talent….but shows it sporadically.  What is your response to the numerous times he allowed Stacey to run off him.  Give his performance yesterday some balance, please.  

We can highlight a little flick first time….jeez he’s a championship level pro, they can all do that.

Compare him to Paterson is not really selling him very well is it.  The most lightweight player ever! ?

Weimann isn’t strong, but knows how to shield, knows how to get his arm across his man, knows how to press with intent, how to cut off a passing lane.

Yesterday his all-round performance got him hooked at h/t.  Nige (club interview - I’ve only just heard it) said he made changes for both shape and personnel.

I don’t have a problem with fans liking certain players more than others, we all have a bit of unconscious bias, but yesterday wasn’t a game to try to big-up his performance.  I’m not saying he was shit either, but it was a performance where his commitment to the hard work part of his role was painfully lacking.  Saying other players weren’t very good yesterday isn’t a good argument.  Nobody is saying those players were!

• Like 2