IGNORED

Disagree if you want..?

PFree

My concerns are:  poor team selection (why is Dasilva consistently left on the bench?); baffling substitutions; inability to change a game for the better.  All significant failings by Pearson, which would have resulted in howls of criticism during the last two regimes.  Last season we outplayed Bournemouth for 45 minutes at their place and forced them to change shape and tactics.  I find it very hard to regard what I saw today as progress in any shape or form.  

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My concerns are:  poor team selection (why is Dasilva consistently left on the bench?); baffling substitutions; inability to change a game for the better.  All significant failings by Pearson, which would have resulted in howls of criticism during the last two regimes.  Last season we outplayed Bournemouth for 45 minutes at their place and forced them to change shape and tactics.  I find it very hard to regard what I saw today as progress in any shape or form.  

I think you a bit harsh but I agree why is dasilva not a starter and what the hell is wells coming on for Williams. I like NP a lot and I know he is still short of the team he wants but sometimes he really does amaze me with his decisions. 

But then I teach maths and mediatation and am not a football manager. ???

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are you pleased with our league position at this point, better than you expected..?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My concerns are:  poor team selection (why is Dasilva consistently left on the bench?);

because much of the team selection policy is based around, if you’re in possession of the shirt and perform you keep it.  Dasilva wasn’t fit v Peterborough and the team was unchanged bar the Atkinson / Baker enforced change.

baffling substitutions;

Williams enforced. O’Dowda to move to a back 3 (he could’ve achieved this without taking him off, but can only assume he wasn’t happy with O’Dowda’s first half performance). Bakinson could’ve been Palmer or Scott.

inability to change a game for the better.  All significant failings by Pearson, which would have resulted in howls of criticism during the last two regimes.  Last season we outplayed Bournemouth for 45 minutes at their place and forced them to change shape and tactics.  I find it very hard to regard what I saw today as progress in any shape or form.

Not sure we outplayed them, but a fair argument.

2 hours ago, PFree said:

Okay, let’s be honest, we got stuffed today and had we lost 5 nil, it would have been appropriate. That said they are pretty much a Premiership side and started this season with a £20 odd million parachute payment. It’s disappointing as for whatever reason, there was no press, commitment or apparent effort from some but there we go, it happens.

I would however comment that we are most certainly going the right way - just 4 losses in 12 games this season, a minus 1 goal difference, just 4 points off the play offs? Is NP not what we have been asking for for a long time, so can we not just get behind his honest approach and give him the three seasons he suggested he needs to turn us around?

I never bet against City but, if I did, today would have been the day, just about everything was up against us, and B’Muff did really well, fair play to them. Their quality in depth is incredible to be fair and I have no doubt they will go up this season.

I am glad we have Tuesday to come when we go again. Okay today was always going to be hard but, let’s be honest we will have some much easier games to come, the home win will come. 

Finally, how wonderful to see all fans join together for the minutes applause in the 7th minute - let’s hope the young lad Brooks responds well to treatment and is given the all clear in the near future, well done to all who quite rightly joined in, so nice to see and hear!

"Much easier games" ??

NP has a very tough job and yes we are doing okay ish until now but we still need to loosen the purse strings and bring in a quality striker and two wingers who can ping over crosses playing COD offers us nothing defensively at all and very little attacking wise so why keep playing him. It wasn't just CODs fault today, the loss of Williams, the poor substitute bringing Wells on for Williams instead of a natural midfielder in Bakinson Lets put this one to bed now, nothing went right and were beaten by parachute payments again its a tough league

The problem is not one loss to top team, nor Is it Nige; the problem is two decades long and lies at the very top.  SL has spent millions and failed to achieve his aim through appointment of poor managers, letting others go, allowing his son to be Chairman of a largely non existent Board, allowing the club to consistently buy the mediocre, failing to bring new money in, obsessed by BS.

OK, at last he has brought in the manager we needed, and has begun talking about new backers, both real positives.  As supporters we need to get behind both these moves, ie support Nige through next 3 transfer windows and keep pressing re new monies.

Always believe whatever the evidence is to the contrary

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Super said:

The money issue is a poor excuse. You may not finish above them over a season but you can still give them a game. We barely put in a tackle stood off them and gave them the easiest game they will get all season. Shocking display.

I agree completely with this. I think we all knew yesterday was going to be a tough game but our performance was shocking.

The early loss of Williams clearly didn't help but if the game had finished 0-6 we couldn't have had any complaints.

I don't want to moan on about Martin, Weimann and Wells again but our lack of pace up front is frightening. Opposition defences have nothing to worry about and we don't have an out ball to relieve any pressure for our defence (who actually did their best yesterday). Gary Cahill has only just stubbed his cigar out and will never have an easier afternoon!

I completely understand this is a "work in progress" project but yesterday wasn't acceptable in my opinion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm not expecting any points from the next two games. If we can't beat Barnsley at AG, I may start to get upset with Nige. 

All depends who's available I suppose.

I had a bloke behind me slagging off Bakinson as soon as he come on yesterday, its not the kids fault we haven't got anyone better on the bench to come on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just taking in your points, are you saying that if we were doing things differently we would be doing better? 

U can’t help but feel this is the best tune we are going to get out of the club at present and it is punctuated by the odd unforeseen high and low (that’s football as we know). 

The ‘blocks of 10’ has become a fashionable benchmark so let’s see where we are after 20? 

My hope for the season would’ve been 12-15 with a worry of a relegation battle.

If we are 12-15 after 20 games then we have to be relatively happy surly?

It almost means we will lose a chunk, play poorly at times but also play well and pick up some points.

This is the reality of the situation.

I didn’t think we were playoff material after winning at Cardiff and neither am I bricking after losing to promotion elect Bournemouth.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It was so easy for them to go from defence to offence from the moment their keeper had the ball in his hands, when Bentley had the ball it was lumped down the middle to their centre half and so giving possession straight back to them, modern day teams with modern day managers don’t lump it down the middle 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The problem is not one loss to top team, nor Is it Nige; the problem is two decades long and lies at the very top.  SL has spent millions and failed to achieve his aim through appointment of poor managers, letting others go, allowing his son to be Chairman of a largely non existent Board, allowing the club to consistently buy the mediocre, failing to bring new money in, obsessed by BS.

OK, at last he has brought in the manager we needed, and has begun talking about new backers, both real positives.  As supporters we need to get behind both these moves, ie support Nige through next 3 transfer windows and keep pressing re new monies.

Always believe whatever the evidence is to the contrary

Spot on. And as it’s a Sunday.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

But hey the Messiah has done a lot of good. We’ve got a lovely stadium and The Killers are coming.

Kerching.

How’s Pat and his Bears doing…..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Dasilva can not defend and has been targeted before with his lack of height. Pring did not have a good game yesterday but I can not understand the love in for Dasilva. Left back is one of our many problems that need to be sorted 

Not sure there is a love-in for Jay, but we actually try to pass the ball when he’s on the pitch. He has some defensive weaknesses, but if you work on partnerships and spacing with your LCB and LM these can be overcome.

I thought his second half was a small bright spot yesterday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

16 home games without a win. is that progess. not in my eyes. if lee or Deano had that sort of run the fans will be going mad. why do fans like nige so much 

It’s hard to argue against that, did we actually deserve to win any of those 16? I don’t think so, in fact we were second best in nearly all of them, when I see the lovely football QPR, Luton, Coventry etc are playing it just frustrates me even more

• Like 1

It is very difficult to see the wood from the trees at the moment. Due to the abject behaviour of the new Ipswich CEO and two appointments of novice managers, we would be in severe trouble with FFP if we had splashed out in the last close season. So no blame attached to Pearson for not bringing in a new team in pre-season.

He has begun the job of rebuilding the team, it's spirit and a unity that has been sadly missing for several seasons. Not an easy thing to do.

I realised, like many others that we would lose to B'mouth whatever we did on and off the field. We have a squad of players with fewer injuries than those last season but we are still, for various reasons, short of at least four to six who could be in the match squad. Atkinson was out, Williams pulled up very early in the match and King later. Add to them Conway, Semenyo.

I am assuming that Pearson also realised we would lose whatever we did. So bearing in mind that we have three days later another game that we can reasonably hope to get the long awaited win, did he instruct the team not to play a very high pressing game that would use a lot of energy. Not to go crunching into tackles, try to keep the score down and so on to save ourselves for Forest. B'mouth helped us to earn a minimal defeat with some appalling misses in the second half, but we still look forward to Forest with another two injured, Williams and King.

Most of us expected we would be in bottom six all season so it's a minor relief at present to be in top half with only four defeats from twelve games and a goal difference of only minus one. We are not where we want to be but yesterdays performance was a lot better than the rubbish we had to watch last season. We did a reasonable job of keeping our shape, nobody let their heads drop, we worked as a team as best we could and even created a couple of second half openings that could have been more profitable with some good fortune.

Keep the faith everyone because if we start moaning at them during a match, it could diminish the wholehearted effort that all squad members appear to be giving at present.  

• Flames 2

12 hours ago, PFree said:

Okay, let’s be honest, we got stuffed today and had we lost 5 nil, it would have been appropriate. That said they are pretty much a Premiership side and started this season with a £20 odd million parachute payment. It’s disappointing as for whatever reason, there was no press, commitment or apparent effort from some but there we go, it happens.

I would however comment that we are most certainly going the right way - just 4 losses in 12 games this season, a minus 1 goal difference, just 4 points off the play offs? Is NP not what we have been asking for for a long time, so can we not just get behind his honest approach and give him the three seasons he suggested he needs to turn us around?

I never bet against City but, if I did, today would have been the day, just about everything was up against us, and B’Muff did really well, fair play to them. Their quality in depth is incredible to be fair and I have no doubt they will go up this season.

I am glad we have Tuesday to come when we go again. Okay today was always going to be hard but, let’s be honest we will have some much easier games to come, the home win will come. 

Finally, how wonderful to see all fans join together for the minutes applause in the 7th minute - let’s hope the young lad Brooks responds well to treatment and is given the all clear in the near future, well done to all who quite rightly joined in, so nice to see and hear!

The only thing I can disagree with is your description of Bournemouth as a premiership side they are not and when they were they were one of the worst hence the reason they were relegated, but I get where you are coming from it's nearly impossible for a club like us with no parachute payments to compete with them their players are just that bit better than ours because of the wages they can pay. 

12 hours ago, PFree said:

Only thing I disagree with is the “commitment” if you’ve ever played in a game where you’ve been completely outclassed you’d understand, it no a lack of commitment at all. You just can’t get near them. It’s a big difference. The movement off the ball tied is in knots & we were simply not good enough. No comparison with how we weren’t putting the effort on last season after Christmas . 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

It’s not it’s risk and reward we are looking to play with the big boys, Bristol should have Premiership football this inferiority complex is comparable to our national team we should have won multiple World cups and Euros we don’t demand it

Agreed it's crazy we have not been able to get to the top flight for over 41 years we seem to be cursed.

12 hours ago, Super said:

The money issue is a poor excuse. You may not finish above them over a season but you can still give them a game. We barely put in a tackle stood off them and gave them the easiest game they will get all season. Shocking display.

You call yourself super .obviously a inflated ego. Have you ever played a game where you were completely overran ? We couldn’t get near them , simple as that . You chat some shit ?

6 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

The question we should be asking is how Bournemouth have that team on the pitch yet we’re are told we have the billionaire owner???

Football is about gambling and glory Lansdown twist or leave 

And the answer to that is Bournemouth invested heavily the season they went up and would have probably breached FFP had they not made it. They’ve then had the benefit of 5 odd years of premier money followed by parachute payments.

Meanwhile, in the time they’ve been in the prem the EFL have tightened FFP. Around half the division have had embargo’s, fines or deductions. Lansdown, for however rich he is, cannot just throw money at it - we’d get points deducted or other sanctions.

Add in that he’s funded the club through Covid while his ex CEO wisely decided to let a £5m striker run his contract down and give value on the pitch, and I think you probably know why Bournemouth are where they are and we are where we are. If they don’t go up, they may be screwed when the parachute closes

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

The fact our goal difference didn’t take a hammering today is a real positive.

Also, to draw the second half, much of which we played with 10 men and without our 2 best midfielders was remarkable 

I’d agree with that up to a point. To say that Bournemouth didn’t get out of first gear in the second half  would be an understatement - they barely got out of reverse! 

What disappointed me was that we simply didn’t give them a game. It was like training session for them. 

When we played Fulham we at least made them work, and we were still in with a shout at the end. It was enjoyable to watch. Yesterday was so one sided, and so pedestrian, it was boring. 

53 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Only thing I disagree with is the “commitment” if you’ve ever played in a game where you’ve been completely outclassed you’d understand, it no a lack of commitment at all. You just can’t get near them. It’s a big difference. The movement off the ball tied is in knots & we were simply not good enough. No comparison with how we weren’t putting the effort on last season after Christmas . 

In those type of games in my experience, it’s usually time for someone to clatter an opponent, at least let them think the next time they receive the ball.  That’s not going in to maim them and get a red card, but there are ways to do it sensibly.

• Like 1