IGNORED

Disagree if you want..?

PFree

41 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’d agree with that up to a point. To say that Bournemouth didn’t get out of first gear in the second half  would be an understatement - they barely got out of reverse! 

What disappointed me was that we simply didn’t give them a game. It was like training session for them. 

When we played Fulham we at least made them work, and we were still in with a shout at the end. It was enjoyable to watch. Yesterday was so one sided, and so pedestrian, it was boring. 

Yes I’m struggling to remember a more one sided game at home, which is why I thought it remarkable we drew the second half even when down to 10 men. After half an hour I’d have taken 0-3 I really thought we were in for a big thumping.

Not making excuses but I really think the Williams injury knocked the wind out of players and fans.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

16 home games without a win. is that progess. not in my eyes. if lee or Deano had that sort of run the fans will be going mad. why do fans like nige so much 

Funny we never see a post from you when we have won away  from home and played well. And if you thought  that Johnson/Holden were better managers than Pearson then that says it all.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

You call yourself super .obviously a inflated ego. Have you ever played a game where you were completely overran ? We couldn’t get near them , simple as that . You chat some shit ?

I wonder how other teams manage it then. Still poor excuses keep you happy.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In those type of games in my experience, it’s usually time for someone to clatter an opponent, at least let them think the next time they receive the ball.  That’s not going in to maim them and get a red card, but there are ways to do it sensibly.

Exactly my sentiment, look how Brentford went after Chelsea and gave them a tough game. I would have been telling the city players to go out there and make sure you clatter their wide players early and rough them up. Don’t give them time in midfield to look up for a pass and turn their CBs as much as possible and make them play facing their goal - there was none of that and that’s what disappointed me

If we had done those things and put a shift in and still lost then fair enough but we didn’t and we got embarrassed 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In those type of games in my experience, it’s usually time for someone to clatter an opponent, at least let them think the next time they receive the ball.  That’s not going in to maim them and get a red card, but there are ways to do it sensibly.

But what would that achieve? The days of leaving your mark on someone are long gone.

The Roy Keane and Souness tackle is no longer a viable option.

I agree with the comment about not being able to get near them, something I’ve experienced myself at non league level. You try your hardest but the opposition not only move quicker and with more purpose, but think quicker and have more options available for a pass.

Am I right in thinking the two bookings yesterday were Cahill and Kelly? Both for pulling opponents back, the so called professional foul, both occurred to prevent us getting forward.

We simply couldn’t get near enough to foul them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

All depends who's available I suppose.

I had a bloke behind me slagging off Bakinson as soon as he come on yesterday, its not the kids fault we haven't got anyone better on the bench to come on.

Did you see Bakinsons last game? Anybody off the bench yesterday would have been a better option. We were being overrun,  why Pearson chose someone who has proven to be so immobile remains a mystery.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It is very difficult to see the wood from the trees at the moment. Due to the abject behaviour of the new Ipswich CEO and two appointments of novice managers, we would be in severe trouble with FFP if we had splashed out in the last close season. So no blame attached to Pearson for not bringing in a new team in pre-season.

He has begun the job of rebuilding the team, it's spirit and a unity that has been sadly missing for several seasons. Not an easy thing to do.

I realised, like many others that we would lose to B'mouth whatever we did on and off the field. We have a squad of players with fewer injuries than those last season but we are still, for various reasons, short of at least four to six who could be in the match squad. Atkinson was out, Williams pulled up very early in the match and King later. Add to them Conway, Semenyo.

I am assuming that Pearson also realised we would lose whatever we did. So bearing in mind that we have three days later another game that we can reasonably hope to get the long awaited win, did he instruct the team not to play a very high pressing game that would use a lot of energy. Not to go crunching into tackles, try to keep the score down and so on to save ourselves for Forest. B'mouth helped us to earn a minimal defeat with some appalling misses in the second half, but we still look forward to Forest with another two injured, Williams and King.

Most of us expected we would be in bottom six all season so it's a minor relief at present to be in top half with only four defeats from twelve games and a goal difference of only minus one. We are not where we want to be but yesterdays performance was a lot better than the rubbish we had to watch last season. We did a reasonable job of keeping our shape, nobody let their heads drop, we worked as a team as best we could and even created a couple of second half openings that could have been more profitable with some good fortune.

Keep the faith everyone because if we start moaning at them during a match, it could diminish the wholehearted effort that all squad members appear to be giving at present.  

@Red Exile and @ScottishRed

What does the flame mean please?

Is my post a load of tosh or bang on?

6 hours ago, westonred said:

NP has a very tough job and yes we are doing okay ish until now but we still need to loosen the purse strings and bring in a quality striker and two wingers who can ping over crosses playing COD offers us nothing defensively at all and very little attacking wise so why keep playing him. It wasn't just CODs fault today, the loss of Williams, the poor substitute bringing Wells on for Williams instead of a natural midfielder in Bakinson Lets put this one to bed now, nothing went right and were beaten by parachute payments again its a tough league

What exactly has Bakinson done to deserve coming on? - A Player who, for me, is simply not mobile enough for Nige's system imo - would not shock me if he's loaned out or sold in Jan. Same with Palmer, O'Dowda, among others, who simply not good enough and/or do not suit the system.

We're a complete kerfuffle of players suiting different systems and some over paid wasters on the books. Looking at O'Dowda, Moore, Bakinson, Wells among others. Too many 'nice' guys and poor body language.

If someone had offered me mid table before this season I'd have snapped their hand off. Ultimately we need, as you say, a couple of wingers and a forward.

The issue is, where are the funds going to come from?

Unfortunately, I can only see it coming from a sale, and the only players we have worth a couple quid are Massengo and Bentley.

@Davefevs we know SL was looking for external investment. Hypothetically is this were to come in (he prays), how does that impact FFP if at all?

Shout out to Scott Parker also. Improvement of that Bournemouth team compared to Woodgate's lot last season was stark. Comprehensive classy performance that you can only applaud, albeit we didn't offer staunchest resistance.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Fuberit doesn’t really, unless new investment = new owner and they go shit or bust in January.  Which isn’t gonna happen! ???

Unless he meant sponsorship, ground naming rights or even partnership. 

TBH I believe he would sell if someone came in, but in this day and age the people with that much interest and money are few and far between. 

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Unless he meant sponsorship, ground naming rights or even partnership. 

TBH I believe he would sell if someone came in, but in this day and age the people with that much interest and money are few and far between. 

Sponsorship alone won’t cut it…ground naming is now restricted to only allowing it to be a sensible amount of money….so you can’t just say Heres £50m to call it the Hargreaves Stand for example.

When SL talks of new investment, I honestly don’t know if he’s talking about getting bought out, or some form of partnership.  Nor whether it’s City only, or Bristol Sport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

Did you see Bakinsons last game? Anybody off the bench yesterday would have been a better option. We were being overrun,  why Pearson chose someone who has proven to be so immobile remains a mystery.

I watch all the games

As I said if it was a stronger squad the lad would be at Oxford or somewhere 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sponsorship alone won’t cut it…ground naming is now restricted to only allowing it to be a sensible amount of money….so you can’t just say Heres £50m to call it the Hargreaves Stand for example.

When SL talks of new investment, I honestly don’t know if he’s talking about getting bought out, or some form of partnership.  Nor whether it’s City only, or Bristol Sport.

I'm not sure he knows, let alone the rest of us.
Not sure what would be in it for a partner, apart from less financial burden for running costs. There is only money to be made if we go up, then sell again. 
I can't think of any other investment opportunities , unless as you say he splits up what he's built in Bristol Sport or sells the complex next to the Gate.
I guess we will find out in the fullness of time.

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm not sure he knows, let alone the rest of us.
Not sure what would be in it for a partner, apart from less financial burden for running costs. There is only money to be made if we go up, then sell again. 
I can't think of any other investment opportunities , unless as you say he splits up what he's built in Bristol Sport or sells the complex next to the Gate.
I guess we will find out in the fullness of time.

There is no way that he is splitting up Bristol Sport unless, someone comes in with massive money and guarantees to keep it together - that is not going to happen.

I think SL is all about legacy now, IF we got to the PL, and survived, or the Bears won something, he would probably be happy.

Ultimately, I read, albeit on here, that Junior ain’t looking to take over...........there may be interesting times ahead.

On 16/10/2021 at 21:57, ralphindevon said:

The fact our goal difference didn’t take a hammering today is a real positive.

Also, to draw the second half, much of which we played with 10 men and without our 2 best midfielders was remarkable 

Steady Ralph - “we drew the second half” - this is exactly the sort of rhetoric many on here have used to attack Joey Barton’s comments in post match press liaisons ... he seems to glorify the gas on performances and results based on 45 minute segments rather the games as a whole ... please don’t sink to his level ...

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Steady Ralph - “we drew the second half” - this is exactly the sort of rhetoric many on here have used to attack Joey Barton’s comments in post match press liaisons ... he seems to glorify the gas on performances and results based on 45 minute segments rather the games as a whole ... please don’t sink to his level ...

Ha! It wasn’t really a compliment of our play, more how flabbergasted I was that we managed to get a 0-0 half.

Anyway, it was like a cup final for Bournemouth playing against such a class team and set up as ours ?

• Flames 1

On 16/10/2021 at 21:57, Super said:

The money issue is a poor excuse. You may not finish above them over a season but you can still give them a game. We barely put in a tackle stood off them and gave them the easiest game they will get all season. Shocking display.

Although I agreed with the OP, I sort of agree with what you're hinting at that there were stages in that game when we - for the first time this season really - seemed demoralised, shell-shocked, dispirited and did not put in a shift.

The first 15 minutes of the second half were particularly dire. We couldn't pass, tackle or even hold the ball at our feet. God knows what was said at H/T to try to pick us up after their second goal, but it seemed to have had the opposite effect than was desired.

We seemed to steady a bit with Martin's header attempt, but with King off the only question was could we stop more going in. Bournemouth knew they'd won the game, so it looked like a training exercise against non-league oppo for them by that stage.

It goes to show that for all Pearson's talk about building a team with the right attitude, if something goes against this side - Williams' injury for example - morale can crumble like a sandcastle in the tide.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 10:48, Silvio Dante said:

And the answer to that is Bournemouth invested heavily the season they went up and would have probably breached FFP had they not made it. They’ve then had the benefit of 5 odd years of premier money followed by parachute payments.

Meanwhile, in the time they’ve been in the prem the EFL have tightened FFP. Around half the division have had embargo’s, fines or deductions. Lansdown, for however rich he is, cannot just throw money at it - we’d get points deducted or other sanctions.

Add in that he’s funded the club through Covid while his ex CEO wisely decided to let a £5m striker run his contract down and give value on the pitch, and I think you probably know why Bournemouth are where they are and we are where we are. If they don’t go up, they may be screwed when the parachute closes

That's not entirely an excuse for the overall gulf on Saturday- but I mostly agree with your post.

The tactical change early exacerbated the gap- okay Williams going off yet again was unfortunate but that change just gives them the run of the central areas IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's not entirely an excuse for the overall gulf on Saturday- but I mostly agree with your post.

The tactical change early exacerbated the gap- okay Williams going off yet again was unfortunate but that change just gives them the run of the central areas IMO.

Tbf I don’t disagree with that - but the question was why Bournemouth had that squad and not us. 

10 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

2 Wingers and a Striker needed in January to be competitive. You need a threat and currently we are not threatening at all. Match our work rate and you are in with a chance as we will do nothing surprising. 

Wingers are the main miss for us. We need a ball carrier and we need someone who can go past a player and deliver a cross. 

Has it not been said, many many times, that we can't spend much on players unless we sell first?

NP doesn't have the option to bring in the sort of quality Bournemouth had in their team. Ashton spent it all on the underwhelming squad we are now stuck with. 

SL can bring in extra investment but spending it on the squad will likely end up breaking the FFP rules and getting a points deduction. 

We need to accept we are stuck here, with no easy way out, and back Nige in a gradual transformation of the attitude and effectiveness of the squad. There is no easy quick fix. 

3 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

2 Wingers and a Striker needed in January to be competitive. You need a threat and currently we are not threatening at all. Match our work rate and you are in with a chance as we will do nothing surprising. 

Wingers are the main miss for us. We need a ball carrier and we need someone who can go past a player and deliver a cross. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Has it not been said, many many times, that we can't spend much on players unless we sell first?

NP doesn't have the option to bring in the sort of quality Bournemouth had in their team. Ashton spent it all on the underwhelming squad we are now stuck with. 

SL can bring in extra investment but spending it on the squad will likely end up breaking the FFP rules and getting a points deduction. 

We need to accept we are stuck here, with no easy way out, and back Nige in a gradual transformation of the attitude and effectiveness of the squad. There is no easy quick fix. 

Agree with you both….we’ve shown that some foundations have been built, we are more solid / competitive, although we’ve started to allow too many opposition chances.  The next bit is to improve the attacking cohesiveness.  Somehow Nige needs to get a tune out any of Palmer, O’Dowda, Wells etc.  For Palmer and Wells, they need to be given a chance (assume they are putting it in on the training ground - no reason not to think so).  I didn’t include Scott, because I’m sure he will get his minutes here and there, and he’s been generally quite creative in the games he’s played.  Pring has shown a physical side in creating chances / crosses from the LHS.

I would love to see Weimann and Wells tonight, but would settle for Wells.  It’s likely to be a tight game, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1 type game and we need someone to take a chance.

I think we will see some changes tonight.  We don’t need to go gung-ho, but a back 3 of Worrall, Figueredo and McKenna is not blessed with pace.  Balls in behind the WBs, down the sides of Worrall and McKenna is a likely route to success tonight.  Worrall and McKenna getting “faced-up” in channels is not their comfort zone.

Yates and Colback in their CM are gonna be niggly all night, but they aren’t gonna rotate our midfield too much.

It is a game to win.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Agree with you both….we’ve shown that some foundations have been built, we are more solid / competitive, although we’ve started to allow too many opposition chances.  The next bit is to improve the attacking cohesiveness.  Somehow Nige needs to get a tune out any of Palmer, O’Dowda, Wells etc.  For Palmer and Wells, they need to be given a chance (assume they are putting it in on the training ground - no reason not to think so).  I didn’t include Scott, because I’m sure he will get his minutes here and there, and he’s been generally quite creative in the games he’s played.  Pring has shown a physical side in creating chances / crosses from the LHS.

I would love to see Weimann and Wells tonight, but would settle for Wells.  It’s likely to be a tight game, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1 type game and we need someone to take a chance.

I think we will see some changes tonight.  We don’t need to go gung-ho, but a back 3 of Worrall, Figueredo and McKenna is not blessed with pace.  Balls in behind the WBs, down the sides of Worrall and McKenna is a likely route to success tonight.  Worrall and McKenna getting “faced-up” in channels is not their comfort zone.

Yates and Colback in their CM are gonna be niggly all night, but they aren’t gonna rotate our midfield too much.

It is a game to win.

Well said Dave.