IGNORED

Cool colours yeh

ExiledAjax

I just don’t get the EFL (or any other footballing body) allowing opposing teams to wear the same colour shorts. There was a time when all elements of the kits had to contrast - when did that rule change and why ffs?

A very good point. shorts and socks make a small difference. Our match v Stoke will be slightly easier than Luton v Stoke, as we should be in white shorts v Stoke's black. It's still going to be red v green, but the shorts will at least assist a little.

As for the rules, well it's a little complicated.

Firstly - when designing the kits a club wants to use for an upcoming season, they have to "...ensure that the colour of the shirt, shorts and socks for each kit is different to and would sufficiently contrast against the other kits registered by the Club." (Guidance to EFL Reg 38.1) So basically your home, away, and third kit must all have different shorts and socks as well as shirts.

Then EFL Reg 38.3 says "When away from home a Club shall play in a registered kit which is clearly distinguishable (shirt, shorts and socks) from those of their opponents. This requirement shall apply strictly in respect of shirts and socks. Where both Clubs request to play in the same, or similar, coloured shorts then an application to do so shall be made to the appointed match referee whose consent shall not be unreasonably withheld." So the onus is on the away team to ensure that the kit they choose is "clearly distinguishable" from the home kit. however, they can make an application to the referee to play in the same short. The presumption is that this application will be accepted. I assume this happened in Luton v Stoke.

But the Guidance to EFL Reg 38.1 also says that "When considering selection of colours of shirts / socks, Clubs should have regard to the guidance issued by the Football Association on helping those affected by colour blindness...". Now, to me this means that the application in Luton v Stoke should have been rejected. Stoke should have been told to wear the white shorts that go with their home kit.

The Guidance to EFL Reg 38.3 goes on to say;

The order of precedence when determining kit colours for any fixture is as follows:

• Home club outfield
  • Away club outfield
  • Home goalkeeper
  • Away goalkeeper
  • Match officials

Clubs are required to resolve any potential clash in advance of match day. Match Officials should ensure they find the playing kits of both teams acceptable. The Football Services Department in liaison with PGMOL will adjudicate if necessary and reserves the right to relax the requirement in respect of shorts where appropriate and after consultation with match officials.

A breach of this Regulation is designated a strict liability offence as detailed in Regulation 87.

The potential clash between Luton and stoke clearly was not resolved before match day. If the Match Officials though thse kits were ok then they were wrong. And they should not have relaxed the requirement on shorts.

Regulation 87 allows clubs to be fined for this kind of stuff. 

No-one will be fined.

• Thanks 1

That is truly awful. Even I would struggle with that, not even a simple "dark shorts" contrast. 
By now Ref's should have the power to sort things out, the colours are chosen in advance and the Ref would know it's their game. Just send him the choices and give him a common sense veto.

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

By now Ref's should have the power to sort things out, the colours are chosen in advance and the Ref would know it's their game. Just send him the choices and give him a common sense veto.

But that is how it works at our level already, and there are still major issues.

I have to give props to our Club and in particular Richard Gould and Scotty though. Since I started this thread and spoke to the Club about it there's been no issues for me - and I've not seen much talk about it on social media etc either which suggests that others haven't been suffering.

Boro at home on Feb 19th could be tricky as IIRC they have only a red home kit or this (apparently) green* away kit to choose from...and neither are a good choice when playing against a team that wears red. Not sure what we can really do bar getting dispensation from the EFL to wear our purple kit at home - which people would complain about.

Hopefully next season's kits will be a bit easier to work with (ie I hope we go for a white away kit).

*Is it really green? I would swear it is black. Anyway, it's shite.

21-adult-s-s-away-shirt-p1819-7604_image.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Dark green I'd say.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Boro at home on Feb 19th could be tricky as IIRC they have only a red home kit or this (apparently) green* away kit to choose from

Surely this is why most teams have a 3rd kit. Bizarre they don't .

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

But that is how it works at our level already, and there are still major issues.

I have to give props to our Club and in particular Richard Gould and Scotty though. Since I started this thread and spoke to the Club about it there's been no issues for me - and I've not seen much talk about it on social media etc either which suggests that others haven't been suffering.

Boro at home on Feb 19th could be tricky as IIRC they have only a red home kit or this (apparently) green* away kit to choose from...and neither are a good choice when playing against a team that wears red. Not sure what we can really do bar getting dispensation from the EFL to wear our purple kit at home - which people would complain about.

Hopefully next season's kits will be a bit easier to work with (ie I hope we go for a white away kit).

21-adult-s-s-away-shirt-p1819-7604_image.jpg

That’s blinking black! A lot of other clubs have worn their away strip at home this year in support of a homeless charity so it can definitely be done.

1 minute ago, GreedyHarry said:

That’s blinking black! A lot of other clubs have worn their away strip at home this year in support of a homeless charity so it can definitely be done.

It can, there's a specific EFL regulation that every team is allowed to ask for dispensation to wear a kit different to their ordinary home kit. You get one game every season if you apply for it.

It was this process that allowed us to wear that 'special' kit for the 125th anniversary game against Fulham in 2020. 

• Thanks 1

Forgot to tweet this at the time, but interesting that earlier this month, City Women played away at Lewes wearing their black away kit. However, Lewes ended up wearing their white away kit as well. Their home kit of red & black stripes would clash with both City kits (and for some reason, the purple & like third kit wasn't introduced for the women this season).

Maggie Murphy at Lewes confirmed that their club received the request to change kits, to help those with visual impairments...

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Forgot to tweet this at the time, but interesting that earlier this month, City Women played away at Lewes wearing their black away kit. However, Lewes ended up wearing their white away kit as well. Their home kit of red & black stripes would clash with both City kits (and for some reason, the purple & like third kit wasn't introduced for the women this season).

Maggie Murphy at Lewes confirmed that their club received the request to change kits, to help those with visual impairments...

Excellent. I assume the below is the home kit in question (taken from their website)? If so then yeh, had they worn that then honestly I think it would have caused problems for most people, let alone those with colour vision issues. Basically as if we wore our black kit away to Bournemouth in a few weeks - btw I have recommended to Scotty and the Club that we give the purple and lime a run out when we make that trip.

image1.jpeg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Cool colours yeh

Just watching MOTD. Can't believe there are still issues in the Prem with kit blends.

I find it next to impossible to distinguish Liverpool and Bournemouth in the long camera shot here. 

All red (and a dark red at that) v all black is commonly known to be problematic for colourblind fans. Football clubs, officials,  leagues, and designers all know it.

Bournemouth should have worn the blue away kit. Easy solution that doesn't make it shit watching for 12% of the male population.

PXL_20220828_132323997.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just watching MOTD. Can't believe there are still issues in the Prem with kit blends.

I find it next to impossible to distinguish Liverpool and Bournemouth in the long camera shot here. 

All red (and a dark red at that) v all black is commonly known to be problematic for colourblind fans. Football clubs, officials,  leagues, and designers all know it.

Bournemouth should have worn the blue away kit. Easy solution that doesn't make it shit watching for 12% of the male population.

PXL_20220828_132323997.jpg

I think Bournemouth wore green at Ashton Gate last season. To me it was like trying to spot a tiger in the long grass - just without the fatal consequences that come with getting that wrong. I'm sure it was annoying for non-colourblind supporters that day as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think Bournemouth wore green at Ashton Gate last season. To me it was like trying to spot a tiger in the long grass - just without the fatal consequences that come with getting that wrong. I'm sure it was annoying for non-colourblind supporters that day as well.

See my opening post on this thread!

And then please read the one a little further down where I apologise for my sweariness and anger.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something just on this, from a different perspective this time. Might be of interest to people.

This podcast, at about 32:50 in features ex Ipswich and Charlton player Matt Holland talk a little bit about his experience as a professional player with colourblindness. He speaks interestingly about the time he played on his pre-season debut for Charlton, in red, against Plymouth, in green. 

• Thanks 1

Not football related but I was told about the colour filters in the settings for Microsoft Windows last week. It doesn’t allow you to see the same as others but there are colour blind options that make differentiation better. For the first time ever I can actually see the “I’ve responded to your questions in red” bits. Mind blowing!