IGNORED

FFP or not prepared to spend, the actual stats?

PFree

Does anybody know how much we could actually spend on a striker and wide men if we wanted to?

I have just read an article suggesting that based on Newcastle’s finances / profit / returns etc., the new owners can spend a maximum of £198M on incoming players without breaching the rules.

I read regularly on here that we can’t spend even if we wanted to because of FFP but what are the facts please, does anybody actually know?

4 minutes ago, PFree said:

Does anybody know how much we could actually spend on a striker and wide men if we wanted to?

I have just read an article suggesting that based on Newcastle’s finances / profit / returns etc., the new owners can spend a maximum of £198M on incoming players without breaching the rules.

I read regularly on here that we can’t spend even if we wanted to because of FFP but what are the facts please, does anybody actually know?

I've got £16.26 in my wallet if that helps

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PFree said:

Look up Dave Fevs old posts he has explained it several times over.

The answer is about 5 bob in old money.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PFree said:

We don’t really know.  We can guess, but things will become a bit clearer when 20/21s accounts are published.  SL has already said last season’s losses are going to be horrible….£30m+ ???

How much of those losses can be excluded for Covid we don’t know either.

There is enough float in the FFP allowance if you want to just take a single 3-year period….the problem is when 18/19’s profit falls off, and then we bust FFP based on my projections….bust it by some distance.

Hence why Nige is cutting the wage bill and amortisation costs, and not spending much on fees.  Spending now just means selling next season….and 2 players isn’t gonna turn us into a promotion side.

We could really do with a £15-20m player sell….but we haven’t got one.

Newcastle are a different beast. Ashley might be a nob, but he ran the business side very frugally…enough player investment to keep them in the PL each season.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully Steve is no Mel Morris but he allowed Ashton to gamble on the transfer market inflating for ever and us having an unbroken run of players to sell for big money. So our costs ran out of control, which is why we are where we are now.

You'd think that someone with Steve's expertise would know that markets can go down as well as up and that he would have ensured costs were controlled.

There again the history of the game is riddled with successful businessmen who don't apply the same principles when they buy a football club.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The answer appears to be almost nothing.

Get used to us having to maximise what we currently have, unless someone is foolish enough to take Palmer, O’Dowda or Wells off our hands.

Quite right Graham. Until we can offload some expensive under achievers we're quite limited in terms of reshaping the squad, never mind developing it to the standard needed to challenge at the top.

Should SL have literally bought us out of the Championship earlier in his tenure, pre FFP etc????.....

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'll throw in a recent Premium Bonds win (£25), and a book of Green Shield stamps (full!).

Can Dave Fevs or Mr Pops confirm what fraction of a Tillson that will secure us?.

In the meantime, watch out SL. The takeover looks imminent!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm sure it annoys some people when wealthy blokes like you come on here boasting about how much you have, especially as its more than some will earn over their entire lifetime.

I however, do not begrudge you a single penny.

I have no doubt you've had to work hard to accumulate such immense wealth and paid all the taxes required.

How did you manage to fend off all those sycophantic advances from Mark Ashton?

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I'm sure it annoys some people when wealthy blokes like you come on here boasting about how much you have, especially as its more than some will earn over their entire lifetime.

I however, do not begrudge you a single penny.

I have no doubt you've had to work hard to accumulate such immense wealth and paid all the taxes required.

How did you manage to fend off all those sycophantic advances from Mark Ashton?

Taxes ?  I thought I was meant to pay for taxis 

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

Quite right Graham. Until we can offload some expensive under achievers we're quite limited in terms of reshaping the squad, never mind developing it to the standard needed to challenge at the top.

Should SL have literally bought us out of the Championship earlier in his tenure, pre FFP etc????.....

Good argument for that- I would suggest 2007/08 might have been the opportune time, in particular the January window.

Then again a few what if's and if only moments even with what we had can kick in- say for example a fully fit Brooker in 2008/09 or even 2007/08 onwards- but take 2008/09, would a fit and firing Brooker and Maynard pair have been very difficult to handle? Should we have looked to have gone a more fluid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 a bit like the playoff season but built on with the new personnel? A similar base but add in Williams and Maynard, maybe with Noble- and talking of Noble, a more in shape Noble could have been a strong asset for some time.

I dunno...a few scenarios.

Elliott (Johnson) Skuse

Sproule Noble (Williams) McIndoe

Maynard (Brooker, Trundle)

Or...

Elliott (Johnson) Williams Skuse (Noble)

Sproule Brooker Maynard (Trundle)

That's a fluid 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 respectively.

Wide forwards with Brooker more central or McIndoe and Sproule pushed high with Maynard central but Sproule of course able to come in and run at central defence with his pace and Maynard able to pull wider to replace him there...Noble able to slot between the CM 3 and supporting the attack in-game, maybe Williams too but less memories of him.

I digress- back to the highlighted bit, yes rolling the dice in Jan 2008 may well have done the trick. It's a massive counterfactual however- could have led to a better place or to a significantly worse one- see Bradford, Coventry, Portsmouth etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

I said on a thread a few weeks ago that there have been times when SL could have gone for it. The January of 2008 and the subsequent summer of 2008 after the player off final were the obvious ones long before FFP were a thing.
Easy to all say in hindsight now though..unfortunately we are stuck with the fall out from the Ashton regime, its going to be hard going and you just hope we can unearth another academy gem in the mould of a Reid Kelly or Bryan that can be sold for a big fee.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 3

The real financial effects from the pandemic for clubs are only just showing. Player values have massively decreased meaning clubs like us who were doing reasonably well with regular sales are likely to hit a brick wall.

Admittedly that wall will have been well dented by a few less financially stable clubs before we hit it but next summer will I think be once again about trimming the fat rather than investing in players. Any remaining high value assets will be hard to keep unless FFP rules are moderated post pandemic. There must be a real threat of more clubs entering administration and even liquidation so one would think that the League will be looking at stopping the trickle of clubs going into admin becoming a flood and the gap between the parachute clubs and the rest becoming an even wider chasm. I can’t see us buying players unless we sell for the next season or two.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

With all that wonga why do you want to pfaff about buying a player? 

You might as well buy a complete club - there's one in the Midlands looking for a buyer with pockets as big as yours!?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

With all that wonga why do you want to pfaff about buying a player? 

You might as well buy a complete club - there's one in the Midlands looking for a buyer with pockets as big as yours!?

Dont fancy Solihull under 5's really

52 minutes ago, bris red said:

I said on a thread a few weeks ago that there have been times when SL could have gone for it. The January of 2008 and the subsequent summer of 2008 after the player off final were the obvious ones long before FFP were a thing.
Easy to all say in hindsight now though..unfortunately we are stuck with the fall out from the Ashton regime, its going to be hard going and you just hope we can unearth another academy gem in the mould of a Reid Kelly or Bryan that can be sold for a big fee.

If you ask SL I'm fairly sure he would say he did go for it in 2007 and again in 2008. This is part of the problem one way or the other - whenever SL goes for it it's not enough so we barely notice and then seem to wonder why we don't go for it creating frustrated fans.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pezo said:

If you ask SL I'm fairly sure he would say he did go for it in 2007 and again in 2008. This is part of the problem one way or the other - whenever SL goes for it it's not enough so we barely notice and then seem to wonder why we don't go for it creating frustrated fans.

He did in a sense- arguably in 2018 as well when holding onto Flint, Bryan and Reid despite interest, by which I mean Jan 2018 but by the summer we had to sell to trade freely or perhaps even avoid falling foul.

In 2007/08, we could have shelled out £10-20m in January if SL had been able to do so and we probably go up- see Stoke albeit they are basically backed by Bet365.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He did in a sense- arguably in 2018 as well when holding onto Flint, Bryan and Reid despite interest, by which I mean Jan 2018 but by the summer we had to sell to trade freely or perhaps even avoid falling foul.

In 2007/08, we could have shelled out £10-20m in January if SL had been able to do so and we probably go up- see Stoke albeit they are basically backed by Bet365.

46 minutes ago, Pezo said:

And in fairness that would be the exact answer i would expect SL to throw back at me if i were to ask him that question. It’s all water under the bridge now but i personally don’t see the signings of Dele Adebola and Nick Carle (January 2008 perm signings) and then Nicky Maynard and Gavin williams in the summer of 2008 after the play-off final as ‘going for it’. You can make a case for Maynard as £2.25m was a fair sum of money in 2008 at this level but the squad needed so much more than just a marquee striker being brought in to push as on IMO.

• Like 2

Even taking Covid into consideration, the way we've got ourselves to where we are now from the start of the 2019/20 season has been an absolute shit show. 

We can point the finger of blame at several obvious candidates but that won't do us any good now.

The real problem we face is that the sale of probably our most bankable players (arguably HNM and Bentley)  will only harm the squad and would likely cost as much as we make on the sale to replace. 

Apart from the two I've mentioned, the sale of anyone else won't change our circumstances. For example, If Wells goes we aren't going to get anything like what we paid for him.

We have to face the fact that we are in for a long rebuild over several seasons and hoping that the academy grads and younger members of the squad develop into the team we hope they can be.

I'd be quite surprised if we didn't dip into the loan market in January. I can only think we haven't done so yet as the quality of player may not have been available. It would certainly help strengthen the squad without the worry of transfer fees and FFP concerns. 

• Like 2

We need Massengo, Semenyo or Scott to have a blinding season and get sold for daft money. Plus one or two of the top earners to be out of contract at the end of the season(are there any?). That's the only way to create a bit of leeway.

Otherwise, we go on being a hardworking, pragmatic, unremarkable team with little ambition but to avoid relegation for a good while longer. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels