IGNORED

What team and formation could Pearson have picked?

Rich

Given that we have a relatively small squad, with some players injured or out of favour, what team could Pearson have selected that would have enabled us to compete with Bournemouth yesterday? 

We have a squad of 26, take off the keeper, the injured in Semenyo, Cundy,  Atkinson, Massengo. Then there's the 2 fullbacks that are keeping Dasilva and Simpson out. Then players that are really too young and inexperienced to face that sort of opposition, the likes of Janneh, Bell, Scott. Add in those currently out of favour, like Wells, Bakinson, Vyner and Palmer, because they've really not provided enough to be selected consistently and what are we left with? The answer, the team selected yesterday, with the out of favour players making the subs bench along with the keeper.

The only difference for me yesterday, would have been to have Dasilva wide left instead of O'Dowda but, that's based on hindsight. 

I think Pearson's hands are tied to a certain extent at the moment and, he had little choice except to go with his tried and tested players and formation. It just happened that Bournemouth were mobile and slick, as well as tenacious in winning the ball back when we did eventually get it. Especially compared to our ageing midfield, that also experienced bad luck, with the out of position Williams being forced off. Our full backs have been playing 3rd/4th tier football and are still coming to terms with the pace and movement, they got hammered yesterday with little protection from those in front and those inside of them.

I'm sure some would argue that Palmer, Scott and Wells should start, though I think we'd have been even more poorly organised and focused had that happened. Bournemouth were just too quick of mind and foot for our lads yesterday and our manager is trying to hold the club together with what he has available, cut him some slack and get behind the team.

We must be patient and support the club during this tough time, I know it's frustrating but, get on the managers and players backs and, you will knock the major thing going for us, which has been sadly missing for five years. That's team spirit and, the desire to succeed while helping each other, let's nurture it and help the younger players get better, knocking them won't help in the slightest. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

I don’t think it was the formation yesterday 

The players need to be firing on full cylinders to match the better teams and treat it like a cup tie 

Not sure why they weren’t at the races but the injury to JW may not have helped as he seems like one of the key characters and  main players around the club now 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I don’t think it was the formation yesterday 

The players need to be firing on full cylinders to match the better teams and treat it like a cup tie 

Not sure why they weren’t at the races but the injury to JW may not have helped as he seems like one of the key characters and  main players around the club now 

Yep, spot on.

• Like 1

With Bournemouth only playing 1 up top, I'd of matched them. I feel by having 2 up top it was 5 vs 4 in midfield, combined with the fact 2 of our CMs have the pace of a slug covered in salt. 

I understood to begin with, as Weimann could of gone wide right and Williams moved more central, but to bring on Wells really didn't help. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

We had to have three in central midfield to match their three.  Something like

Bentley

Vyner/Simpson Kalas              Baker

Tanner      King       James      Williams       Dasilva

Martin.            Weimann                  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

With Bournemouth only playing 1 up top, I'd of matched them. I feel by having 2 up top it was 5 vs 4 in midfield, combined with the fact 2 of our CMs have the pace of a slug covered in salt. 

I understood to begin with, as Weimann could of gone wide right and Williams moved more central, but to bring on Wells really didn't help. 

Guess what 

Wells central or not at all

Simples

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Honestly don't think formation played a part in our defeat yesterday. 

The fact it was only 2-0 is a result of sorts.

They were just significantly better than us.

Agreed. It was like a fiat punto racing a Porsche.....

Outclassed, out manoeuvred and outplayed. 

I was content with the score line....immensely annoyed with the performance. But......what's done is done. 

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I really think we have a diamond player in Wells who is being wasted by not being played enough and when he is played it's out of position 

Just my opinion 

Tin hat on ;0)

I’d love to agree with you, but we’ve had Wells for nearly two seasons now and whatever formation or line-up we’ve played, he’s failed to convince.  He took the winning goal at QPR superbly, but on Saturday he missed three gilt-edged chances.  I’d love to know his chances to goals ratio: my impression is that he needs a lot of chances to score a goal.  He’s played in every possible position across the front line but nothing changes and presumably if Pearson thought he was a gem, he’d be starting him.

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’d love to agree with you, but we’ve had Wells for nearly two seasons now and whatever formation or line-up we’ve played, he’s failed to convince.  He took the winning goal at QPR superbly, but on Saturday he missed three gilt-edged chances.  I’d love to know his chances to goals ratio: my impression is that he needs a lot of chances to score a goal.  He’s played in every possible position across the front line but nothing changes and presumably if Pearson thought he was a gem, he’d be starting him.

Really? When he first arrived and was played through the middle he was picking up goals with absolutely no service. By no means tearing the league apart but was scoring regularly from half chances in the penalty area. I've not got an answer on how to get the best from him, but playing him regularly and in position seems to be a good start to me.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Really? When he first arrived and was played through the middle he was picking up goals with absolutely no service. By no means tearing the league apart but was scoring regularly from half chances in the penalty area. I've not got an answer on how to get the best from him, but playing him regularly and in position seems to be a good start to me.

Looking at the stats since joining he has a ratio of scoring 1 goal in every 4/5 games. About 10 per season

Edited by MattWSM
typo

15 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Weimann has scored in 2 games out of 12, having played 90% of the time in a central position. I'd wager than Wells would have at least doubled Weimann's scoring record IF played as a central striker.

Wells out wide, like Weimann out wide, is a poor option.

42 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Weimann has scored in 2 games out of 12, having played 90% of the time in a central position. I'd wager than Wells would have at least doubled Weimann's scoring record IF played as a central striker.

Wells out wide, like Weimann out wide, is a poor option.

I agree. Martin could do with a rest, I’d like to see Wells and Weimann up top together for a game or two. 

What’s the worst that can happen? We still don’t win at home?

Edited by KegCity
  • Like 2

For me, it's not that the wrong team was picked - although I do think the wrong sub was made when Williams went off - but that, having performed as we did on Saturday, there needs to be evidence of meritocracy in future team selections.

Vyner, Scott and Palmer have all not been selected for perfectly valid reasons, whilst I think Wells actually looked outstanding at QPR and is unlucky to be back out the team again.

My feeling is that, right now there are a number of players - Martin, Bakinson and O'Dowda being the first three I'd mention - who haven't done enough in recent games to justify starting whilst others, such as Pring, have tailed off a little. If it's fair that Vyner, Scott, Palmer and Wells have been dropped for their performances - which I believe it is - then it's only fair that this applies across the squad.

@Davefevs suggested on another thread that Vyner could come into the midfield until the injury system abates and I agree with this. I also think it's time that Wells was given a chance ahead of Martin and that Scott or Palmer gets another chance too. I'm not saying any of those players would always be in my first eleven but, if the team is being picked on merit, that has to apply across the board and I think there are certain players who would benefit from being made to work for their place again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

My feeling is that, right now there are a number of players - Martin, Bakinson and O'Dowda being the first three I'd mention - who haven't done enough in recent games to justify starting whilst others, such as Pring, have tailed off a little. If it's fair that Vyner, Scott, Palmer and Wells have been dropped for their performances - which I believe it is - then it's only fair that this applies across the squad.

That’s a bit tough on O’Dowda.  I know the guy only has to walk onto the pitch for half of OTIB to get the knives out, but to be fair the Peterborough match was his first start since the first game of the season due to injury!!

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s a bit tough on O’Dowda.  I know the guy only has to walk onto the pitch for half of OTIB to get the knives out, but to be fair the Peterborough match was his first start since the first game of the season due to injury!!

That is fair, and he had a decent enough game until subbed on the hour.  Not everyone criticises his every move, I try to be fair as possible.

He’s got a fair bit of coverage this weekend on OTIB….several people pointing to the contract issues.  I think there was also another thing around that time….Johnson calling him out for not wanting to play after his injury.  I thought it was poor man-management by Johnson to go open to the media, but I would also say he’s not been the same player (in the main) since that injury at Hull.  Dunno whether it got into his head, but I don’t think I’ve seen him make a committed block tackle since.  I don’t expect him to go around clattering people but he presses to 2/3 yards rather than engage…unless he really has to.

15 hours ago, Selred said:

For me Weimann is only effective in a central role. Elsewhere yes he runs a lot but is not sufficiently tactically aware to play deeper

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, it's not that the wrong team was picked - although I do think the wrong sub was made when Williams went off - but that, having performed as we did on Saturday, there needs to be evidence of meritocracy in future team selections.

Vyner, Scott and Palmer have all not been selected for perfectly valid reasons, whilst I think Wells actually looked outstanding at QPR and is unlucky to be back out the team again.

@Davefevs suggested on another thread that Vyner could come into the midfield until the injury system abates and I agree with this. I also think it's time that Wells was given a chance ahead of Martin and that Scott or Palmer gets another chance too. I'm not saying any of those players would always be in my first eleven but, if the team is being picked on merit, that has to apply across the board and I think there are certain players who would benefit from being made to work for their place again. 

We need but we don't have PACE. Teams can play a high back line and play in our half because we have zero threat in behind. Sorry to say that on Saturday we had no press, no snap in the tackle and few runners off the ball. I really hoped that we had seen the last of that but is seems it is back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

For me Weimann is only effective in a central role. Elsewhere yes he runs a lot but is not sufficiently tactically aware to play deeper

I would say he’s much more effective centrally….he’s still capable wide, but not as effective.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

We need but we don't have PACE. Teams can play a high back line and play in our half because we have zero threat in behind. Sorry to say that on Saturday we had no press, no snap in the tackle and few runners off the ball. I really hoped that we had seen the last of that but is seems it is back.

We have Weimann, Wells, O’Dowda, Pring with pace.  Williams, Semenyo and Massengo when fit….but we did look pedestrian on Saturday.  It’s clear Nige and Rennie know they need pace.  Expect signings going forward to meet that criteria.

17 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We had to have three in central midfield to match their three.  Something like

Bentley

Vyner/Simpson Kalas              Baker

Tanner      King       James      Williams       Dasilva

Martin.            Weimann                  

That side could have been interesting although I wonder if Martin needs a rest. Vyner and Tanner can also double up on the right out of possession, although the obvious risk then of 2 v 1 on the left (ie Bournemouth's right), look to overload DaSilva.

Quick switch of play and you can pin DaSilva in, not only negating us attacking wise but isolating those higher up the pitch.

Not Simpson in a back 3 though. Vyner due to his age and ability to go in and out ie RB and CB.