IGNORED

Nigel Extinct

Abraham Romanovich

No UK-born babies were named Nigel in 2020, according to ONS*.

The Farage effect? or is big Nige a relic from a bygone age, no Wayne's either but Oliver is the most popular

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dandwales/2020

Strange how you can almost guess a person's age by their first name. 

* Apparently 1 or 2 might have been. Min 3 required to show on official records.

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

No UK-born babies were named Nigel in 2020, according to ONS*.

The Farage effect? or is big Nige a relic from a bygone age, no Wayne's either but Oliver is the most popular

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dandwales/2020

Strange how you can almost guess a person's age by their first name. 

* Apparently 1 or 2 might have been. Min 3 required to show on official records.

No surprises on those lists, I hear those names all the time now, and half of them will be unfashionable in 10 years!

I think Making Plans for Nigel had a big negative effect upon the name; the Nigel in the song was useless and directionless and people who knew the song would instantly dismiss the name as a possible for their child.

I have since heard nerdy people described as "a bit of a Nigel" and I'm guessing that that has the same source; and that's another reason for not picking it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think Making Plans for Nigel had a big negative effect upon the name; the Nigel in the song was useless and directionless and people who knew the song would instantly dismiss the name as a possible for their child.

I have since heard nerdy people described as "a bit of a Nigel" and I'm guessing that that has the same source; and that's another reason for not picking it.

Interesting! I wonder if Gordon suffered a similar fate!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Interesting! I wonder if Gordon suffered a similar fate!

A very good point; who would want to expose their child to a potential lifetime of being called a moron?

57 minutes ago, TomF said:

..and possibly Brexit without delving into that debate! 

Though people supporting it would be more likely to use the name so it's as broad as it's long.

I can't actually think of any Nigels or Gordons who would have been born since 1980 after the two songs came out in the 70s.

The main change I've noticed for younger blokes at work, say under 35, is that they tend to have one syllable Christian names. I don't have a theory as to why though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Nigel is a generational name. My g’father born in 1902 was called Alfred or Alfie. G’mother born 1901 was called Hilda. Not names heard much these days but fairly common back then.

It's cyclical - There's quite a few Alf/Alfie/Alfred's around nowadays. I can think of at least 5 my kids have been in classes with.

There was also a Wilfred which isn't a name you'd expect to see any more!

As well as at least one Keanu (sigh)

Edited by richwwtk

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

It's not a horrible name, but it just sounds like an adult. I struggle to see how anybody looks at a baby and thinks "he looks just like a Nigel!".

Let's throw a Colin in there too.

Awwww look at little baby Colin.

Malcolm ?

Let's have your non-baby names.

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It's cyclical - There's quite a few Alf/Alfie/Alfred's around nowadays. I can think of at least 5 my kids have been in classes with.

There was also a Wilfred which isn't a name you'd expect to see any more!

As well as at least one Keanu (sigh)

Isn't there a Half Man Half Biscuit line about Alfie or Archie as a name? Both are on trend right now.

8 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I can't actually think of any Nigels or Gordons who would have been born since 1980 after the two songs came out in the 70s

I had to Google, but the only two born after 1980 I've heard of are Nigel Reo-Coker and Nigel de Jong. 

I couldn't find anybody I'd heard of called  Gordon who was born after 1980.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nigel is a generational name. My g’father born in 1902 was called Alfred or Alfie. G’mother born 1901 was called Hilda. Not names heard much these days but fairly common back then.

Alfie has been consistently in the top 20 most popular boys names for the past decade or more. 

Hilda, not so much!

Apparently last year even “Lucifer” was a more popular choice than Nigel! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Cuthbert

Herbert

Arthur

Albert

Celia

Lots of Arthurs among the primary school set. The other names you mention, less so.

Names given to kids in the 50s and early 60s are the ultimate unfashionable:

Clive; Graham; Alan; Derek; Tim; Roger; Melvyn; Stuart; Terry.

Also the "fad" names of the late 60s to 90s:

Wayne; Lee; Scott; Shaun; Darren etc

• Like 1

On 18/10/2021 at 14:26, Eddie Hitler said:

A very good point; who would want to expose their child to a potential lifetime of being called a moron?

Though people supporting it would be more likely to use the name so it's as broad as it's long.

I can't actually think of any Nigels or Gordons who would have been born since 1980 after the two songs came out in the 70s.

The main change I've noticed for younger blokes at work, say under 35, is that they tend to have one syllable Christian names. I don't have a theory as to why though.

Alan Partridge's parents