IGNORED

Playing at home Really??

Clutton Caveman

On Saturday with plenty of time to think, due to getting stuffed, I wonder how we can continue to give visiting teams such a great time.

Our singing section is tucked in a corner with virtually no noise until the game starts. Such a limited range of songs and few that others can understand and join in with. We sing the Dasilva song whether is is good or bad because its one of the few that we have.

At the other end !!. We give them a full end behind a goal. Why don't the away fans at the gate get tucked into a top corner somewhere like we do?

I started watching City in 1970. The East End then has some pride and character. The song leaders where at the back in the middle and the singing spread out wide to both sides. The noise then would put our current volume to shame. We had a song for each player which didn't need to be a musical master piece. Everyone could hear it and join in. We had real hostility when one of ours was wronged.

We briefly heard the far end of the Dolman on Saturday but it soon died out.

For Goodness sake. Lets move the singing section to the middle of the East End. Get some simple and decent songs and belt them out and finally lets move the away fans as far away from the pitch as we can.

Lets also turn the pre match music down so that at least the fans can be heard.

Come on, the team needs help and the noise and encouragement just has to be better

• Like 9
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

Our arrangement of fans is certainly non ideal. As you say, many clubs stick the away fans in the corner and the loudest home fans behind a goal. We do the inverse. It could be quite hard to change now though - the entire AG redevelopment was done with a plan to have the away fans in the Atyeo - the stadium is now effectively designed for that.

A few other thoughts:

• I don't think the chants are too complicated. I have a bit (not a lot ?) more faith in the intelligence of our supporters than that!

• Sounds obvious, but the atmosphere would be better if more people were joining in. S82 do a great job IMO, but many clubs would suggest it's a bit lame that we have a "singing section" at all. The easiest way to improve the atmosphere is for more people to be contributing to it!

• Elephant in the room - I doubt any club in the country would have a great home atmosphere having not won at home for 10 months. 
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

On Saturday with plenty of time to think, due to getting stuffed, I wonder how we can continue to give visiting teams such a great time.

Our singing section is tucked in a corner with virtually no noise until the game starts. Such a limited range of songs and few that others can understand and join in with. We sing the Dasilva song whether is is good or bad because its one of the few that we have.

At the other end !!. We give them a full end behind a goal. Why don't the away fans at the gate get tucked into a top corner somewhere like we do?

I started watching City in 1970. The East End then has some pride and character. The song leaders where at the back in the middle and the singing spread out wide to both sides. The noise then would put our current volume to shame. We had a song for each player which didn't need to be a musical master piece. Everyone could hear it and join in. We had real hostility when one of ours was wronged.

For Goodness sake. Lets move the singing section to the middle of the East End. Get some simple and decent songs and belt them out and finally lets move the away fans as far away from the pitch as we can.

Come on, the team needs help and the noise and encouragement just has to be better

100%….let the crowd build the atmosphere not the music.

• Like 5

Hate to say it, but the changing demographics of our fan base is going to make it very difficult to get back any sort of atmosphere. Middle class, first generation Bristolians and their children now populate Ashton Gate and whilst their support and money is very welcome, they mostly aren’t going to join in with songs and chants.

It’s just the way football is going I’m afraid and there are only a handful of grounds left in the UK that can still generate a good atmosphere.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I thought it was flat before the game on Saturday, it was flat when the game started and was flat until the second half when for about 5 mins we had a go and the crowd were singing JD.

Not having a go but the corner just didn't seem up for it let alone the rest of the ground.

• Like 1

Without dragging up old arguments, the location of the singing section isn’t particularly the issue, it’s the fact that everywhere els you have to sit in the allocated seat. Generally that means that unless likeminded individuals are in the East End if the South Stand then they are going to be too separated to make a difference.

with regards away fans I think t he current layout was decided on as when they were given the minimum allocation and shoved to one side the Atyeo Stand is so small that they were behind the goal anyway. I think the current idea is at least they are done distance from the pitch rather than allowing them to create that claustrophobic feel when fans are right up to the pitch.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I thought it was flat before the game on Saturday, it was flat when the game started and was flat until the second half when for about 5 mins we had a go and the crowd were singing JD.

Not having a go but the corner just didn't seem up for it let alone the rest of the ground.

The fans need something even a crunching tackle or something but like you said apart from a few minutes second half when we actually threatened a goal there was literally nothing for the crowd to feed off.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Super said:

The fans need something even a crunching tackle or something but like you said apart from a few minutes second half when we actually threatened a goal there was literally nothing for the crowd to feed off.

Absolutely.

The only point to make on top of that is that it was flat before the game as well, we haven't had anything to seriously get behind for a few seasons and the championship season is exhausting and we seem to already be exhausted by it as a group of fans.

we just need to win on Tuesday and hopefully the atmosphere will be better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AG City said:

Any chance they can turn the lights down in the stands on Tuesday night so the only focus is on the pitch?

Evening games now remind me of being in a supermarket.

100%. Gave up that argument long ago though unfortunately. For reasons unbeknownst to anyone they have to stay at full flare at AG when even Wembley doesn’t have their on during the game.  

• Like 2

This conversation raises its' head every now and again. While putting the noisier element in the middle of the South Stand would be ideal as it would spread, there are line of sight issues for those either side of them that wish to remain seated. Unless the whole stand buys into the idea, I guess it cannot happen, sadly.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

Watching the Swansea v Cardiff game yesterday. Swansea fans either side of the Cardiff contingent which created a good hostile atmosphere. Having moved all around Ashton Gate now stuck in a corner so far away from the away fans it’s difficult to get it going. Also some fans in that corner seem to have given up and who can blame them. Saturday was probably the worst it has been in there for me atmosphere wise.  We are currently in our worse run of results in our history at home. And that is certainly affecting fans. Unfortunately a hostile Ashton Gate is long gone.

Unfortunately I don't think things will ever be the same. Some of the youngsters won't know any different, but I was lucky enough to remember the days of standing in the East End. 5 or 6 Pints of Natch before the game, a hotdog and a burger from one of the wagons, face all covered in Ketchup and Mustard.

Score a goal and you'd end up a good 10 meters from where you were, jumping up and down like a loon hugging someone that you didn't even know. I'll never ever forget that.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Watching the Swansea v Cardiff game yesterday. Swansea fans either side of the Cardiff contingent which created a good hostile atmosphere. Having moved all around Ashton Gate now stuck in a corner so far away from the away fans it’s difficult to get it going. Also some fans in that corner seem to have given up and who can blame them. Saturday was probably the worst it has been in there for me atmosphere wise.  We are currently in our worse run of results in our history at home. And that is certainly affecting fans. Unfortunately a hostile Ashton Gate is long gone.

Not sure on that RA75 although I take the point.

If it were the gas or a big game (a win would be nice as there are probably little ones toddling about that weren't born when we last won at home) and the gate can still be a very intimidating place. The egg chasers seem to manage ok.

I do agree though, it's flat as hell at the mo. :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not sure on that RA75 although I take the point.

If it were the gas or a big game (a win would be nice as there are probably little ones toddling about that weren't born when we last won at home) and the gate can still be a very intimidating place. The egg chasers seem to manage ok.

I do agree though, it's flat as hell at the mo. :(

We could play the rovers on the moon and there would be a good atmosphere. Standing in the current corner the lads in the middle constantly try to whip the atmosphere up every game. But people just don’t seem to be interested. I would definitely put it down to our current home form but also maybe the unreserved is no more and also new people in the area who never contribute. What’s the point of going in there. Also on Saturday a couple of lads in block 24 started standing up trying to get the atmosphere going joining in. Steward straight over telling them to sit down. Went and got steward supervisor and it just killed it. IMO they should extend the safety rail seating let more people stand move it behind the goal. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

So many managers commented what a hostile atmosphere warnock Redknapp off the top of my head. Can also recall Dario Grady saying his players were scared to go near the corner flag.

Can't remember when Redknapp said it. Warnock said it after the Palace game I believe but I can remember games that season that had a really flat atmosphere and it was one of our best seasons in the last 30 years.

The reality is generally speaking we are big game players that find it hard to motivate ourselves for games against journeyman teams or those we perceive to be below us.

54 minutes ago, lenred said:

100%. Gave up that argument long ago though unfortunately. For reasons unbeknownst to anyone they have to stay at full flare at AG when even Wembley doesn’t have their on during the game.  

Ashton Gate has long been a ground where liveliness and crowd involvement have been swiftly pounced upon.

Watching old "Big Match" programmes from the 70s it amazes me that the fences went up at AG at either end before many others and when grounds such as Upton Park or Highbury never had them at all.

The East End was also divided up into small sections (divide and conquer?) while much larger ends such as the Kop were left as originally built decades before so that there was a seething mass of people. Never understand why this had to happen on the East End, and so reducing the capacity, but not the Kop.

While Cotts was here we had the club or Bristol Sport appealing for nice, family-orientated moderate language and so on, and Cotts urging us to get a bit revved up and maybe "influence" the ref a bit. They even thought about allowing West Ham to bring a bloody bubble machine, ffs! (Unless that was not the case?)

The whole AG experience now is about comfort and convenience and having it nice and easy, including visiting team and supporters.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I accept that some need away fans to get going and need that spice but that shouldn't really make a difference. It shouldn't all be about the banter IMO, it should be about getting behind your team.

We also had enough poor atmospheres when home and away fans were next to each other in the best stand for containing acoustics.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I've banged on about this before and got knocked back by people saying it's the same at all grounds, that the away fans make more noise than the home fans. I don't think it's true everywhere,  but it certainly is at AG at the present. The atmosphere never builds like it used to before the redevelopment.  I almost feel like a neutral fan now watching us at home. On Saturday I was enjoying watching Bournemouths slick play more than I was disappointed with our performance,  if that makes sense. The away chants of "is this a library" really felt truthful. 

There is a Senior Reds on Thursday with Richard Gould as guest. I will ask him if there are any plans to improve the atmosphere from the home fans such as relocating the away fans from behind the goal. I'm not holding out much hope though if it's a health and safety issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I accept that some need away fans to get going and need that spice but that shouldn't really make a difference. It shouldn't all be about the banter IMO, it should be about getting behind your team.

We also had enough poor atmospheres when home and away fans were next to each other in the best stand for containing acoustics.

I’d say the atmosphere was 10 times as good when we had the old Williams and East End either side of the away fans. Would depend who we were playing still but was just so much better on the whole.  Obviously there is no going back but like @Red Army 75said if they can do it at Swansea v Cardiff then surely it’s not impossible to at least get some home fans in the Atyeo if not elsewhere.  

Edited by lenred

1 minute ago, marmite said:

I've banged on about this before and got knocked back by people saying it's the same at all grounds, that the away fans make more noise than the home fans. I don't think it's true everywhere,  but it certainly is at AG at the present. The atmosphere never builds like it used to before the redevelopment.  I almost feel like a neutral fan now watching us at home. On Saturday I was enjoying watching Bournemouths slick play more than I was disappointed with our performance,  if that makes sense. The away chants of "is this a library" really felt truthful. 

There is a Senior Reds on Thursday with Richard Gould as guest. I will ask him if there are any plans to improve the atmosphere from the home fans such as relocating the away fans from behind the goal. I'm not holding out much hope though if it's a health and safety issue.

You can use the yesterday’s Swansea Cardiff game as an example with both sets of fans practically on top of each other. If they can do it surely anyone can and no trouble reported as far as I can see.