IGNORED

Playing at home Really??

Clutton Caveman

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s just the way football is going I’m afraid and there are only a handful of grounds left in the UK that can still generate a good atmosphere.

15 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

While Cotts was here we had the club or Bristol Sport appealing for nice, family-orientated moderate language and so on, and Cotts urging us to get a bit revved up and maybe "influence" the ref a bit. They even thought about allowing West Ham to bring a bloody bubble machine, ffs! (Unless that was not the case?)

The whole AG experience now is about comfort and convenience and having it nice and easy, including visiting team and supporters.

Like it or loathe it, the above points are true. Football is moving way from intimidating atmospheres, rowdy crowds etc, and moving towards being a more pleasant and perhaps "socially acceptable" day out.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conscious effort to reduce how hostile and intimidating the stadium felt as part of the AG redevelopment, perhaps to try and attract a Bristolian audience which is more middle class than that of the average city.

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Also on Saturday a couple of lads in block 24 started standing up trying to get the atmosphere going joining in. Steward straight over telling them to sit down. Went and got steward supervisor and it just killed it. IMO they should extend the safety rail seating let more people stand move it behind the goal. 

I've had similar experiences in the Dolman. Not necessarily stewards telling you to sit down, but if you stand up and sing then it takes all of 30 seconds for a grumpy bloke a couple of rows behind you to start moaning. (I appreciate that some may not want to stand and sing, and some may physically struggle to.)

Similarly, if you join in with a song/chant in the Dolman then people around you rarely seem to do the same.

Although some of us like an old-school atmosphere, it's clear that a large portion of the home crowd DOESN'T want to be singing, chanting, clapping, standing etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

On Saturday with plenty of time to think, due to getting stuffed, I wonder how we can continue to give visiting teams such a great time.

Our singing section is tucked in a corner with virtually no noise until the game starts. Such a limited range of songs and few that others can understand and join in with. We sing the Dasilva song whether is is good or bad because its one of the few that we have.

At the other end !!. We give them a full end behind a goal. Why don't the away fans at the gate get tucked into a top corner somewhere like we do?

I started watching City in 1970. The East End then has some pride and character. The song leaders where at the back in the middle and the singing spread out wide to both sides. The noise then would put our current volume to shame. We had a song for each player which didn't need to be a musical master piece. Everyone could hear it and join in. We had real hostility when one of ours was wronged.

We briefly heard the far end of the Dolman on Saturday but it soon died out.

For Goodness sake. Lets move the singing section to the middle of the East End. Get some simple and decent songs and belt them out and finally lets move the away fans as far away from the pitch as we can.

Lets also turn the pre match music down so that at least the fans can be heard.

Come on, the team needs help and the noise and encouragement just has to be better

I think that anyone under about 35-40 just has no clue about what an atmosphere was. Changes in attitude/the rot set in when grounds started to become all seater. I'm convinced I've been in crowds of 5 or 6k near the bottom of the fourth division when the home ashton gate crowd was more vocal than it's been (bar man utd/man city/the one time in 20 years we play rovers).

I'm in the middle of the Dolman and if I hear it (and its not a negative chant - no need for it - get behind yourt team) I join in. I'm the 1 in 100 there. But the middle of the SS is pretty pathetic. I guess times have changed, mostly for the better, but probably if the atmosphere gets much worse we'll have the American's landing and planting flags in the centre circle during games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think that anyone under about 35-40 just has no clue about what an atmosphere was. Changes in attitude/the rot set in when grounds started to become all seater. I'm convinced I've been in crowds of 5 or 6k near the bottom of the fourth division when the home ashton gate crowd was more vocal than it's been (bar man utd/man city/the one time in 20 years we play rovers).

I'm in the middle of the Dolman and if I hear it (and its not a negative chant - no need for it - get behind yourt team) I join in. I'm the 1 in 100 there. But the middle of the SS is pretty pathetic. I guess times have changed, mostly for the better, but probably if the atmosphere gets much worse we'll have the American's landing and planting flags in the centre circle during games.

I’m not a singer, but occasionally join in, when a chant gets going.  The chaos who sit just down from me, spent all game on their phones.  They don’t even watch the game .

• Like 1

I stand in the s82 part of the singing corner (the middle part) a couple of rows back behind the drum and everyone in the middle section sang for most of the game, but the problem I noticed was to the left and right wings there was very little singing going on at all only joining in with very few of the songs, btw I disagree with the OP as we have a lot of different songs that are simple and easy to join it with, back to my point though simply there are to many who are in there almost as a tourist they have come along to be entered without looking to add much themselves, it also feels like a lot of people in there now are simply there as they like standing during the game with there mates and are not that interested in singing, it's been a lot harder to get everyone involved this year 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

We could play the rovers on the moon and there would be a good atmosphere. Standing in the current corner the lads in the middle constantly try to whip the atmosphere up every game. But people just don’t seem to be interested. I would definitely put it down to our current home form but also maybe the unreserved is no more and also new people in the area who never contribute. What’s the point of going in there. Also on Saturday a couple of lads in block 24 started standing up trying to get the atmosphere going joining in. Steward straight over telling them to sit down. Went and got steward supervisor and it just killed it. IMO they should extend the safety rail seating let more people stand move it behind the goal. 

I agree with you RA75 but the practicalities just don't work due to line of sight. If they made the whole end standing, as it used to be, then maybe but the club seem to put $$$ before atmosphere which I do understand. If a solution was easy, I'm sure it would have happened by now.

47 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Like it or loathe it, the above points are true. Football is moving way from intimidating atmospheres, rowdy crowds etc, and moving towards being a more pleasant and perhaps "socially acceptable" day out.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a conscious effort to reduce how hostile and intimidating the stadium felt as part of the AG redevelopment, perhaps to try and attract a Bristolian audience which is more middle class than that of the average city.

I've had similar experiences in the Dolman. Not necessarily stewards telling you to sit down, but if you stand up and sing then it takes all of 30 seconds for a grumpy bloke a couple of rows behind you to start moaning. (I appreciate that some may not want to stand and sing, and some may physically struggle to.)

Similarly, if you join in with a song/chant in the Dolman then people around you rarely seem to do the same.

Although some of us like an old-school atmosphere, it's clear that a large portion of the home crowd DOESN'T want to be singing, chanting, clapping, standing etc. 

Correct - allocated seating is a massive issue here. stifling likeminded "noisy, rowdy" ones from grouping adhoc, whilst intermingling them with family groups, who want to sit quietly and enjoy the game in their own way.

1 hour ago, marmite said:

There is a Senior Reds on Thursday with Richard Gould as guest. I will ask him if there are any plans to improve the atmosphere from the home fans such as relocating the away fans from behind the goal. I'm not holding out much hope though if it's a health and safety issue.

Any chance of a senior reds meeting on an evening instead of lunchtime? Not all over 55s are retired you know!

Edited by myol'man

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

100%….let the crowd build the atmosphere not the music.

I mentioned this to the club a few years ago, I got told, by Adam Baker I think, that the club had monitored it and decided leaving to the crowd to create an atmosphere hadn’t worked.

personally I used to love the build up a crowd created, especially with a big away following. Maybe it’s different now, I don’t know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

Absolutely.

The only point to make on top of that is that it was flat before the game as well, we haven't had anything to seriously get behind for a few seasons and the championship season is exhausting and we seem to already be exhausted by it as a group of fans.

we just need to win on Tuesday and hopefully the atmosphere will be better.

The Fulham game seemed completely different for some reason,before the game people actually thought we could win,although obviously we didn’t, but Saturday everyone I went with were very pessimistic,and within 5 minutes of kickoff I knew why,we started on the back foot and let Bournemouth take the initiative,as others have said, it was a very passive performance.Passive performance,passive atmosphere follows.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The chaos who sit just down from me, spent all game on their phones.  They don’t even watch the game.

You see it all the time don't you. There is no hope for some, I'm not sure they realise what the point of going to football is. The fans who video parts of games are similar - some using ipads ffs - they take themselves out of being a participant by doing that, losing what it is to be there.

(My phone stays in my pocket until half time/full time when I might text a couple of mates my thoughts on proceedings. Nothing worthwhile or insghtful unfortunately: Saturday's halftime keyword was 'non-conpetative')

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I mentioned this to the club a few years ago, I got told, by Adam Baker I think, that the club had monitored it and decided leaving to the crowd to create an atmosphere hadn’t worked.

personally I used to love the build up a crowd created, especially with a big away following. Maybe it’s different now, I don’t know.

Probably doesn't help with most fans arriving late, or staying in the concource until 5 minutes from the start. Mind you we don't have the Rocking Robins anymore ...

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Probably doesn't help with most fans arriving late, or staying in the concource until 5 minutes from the start. Mind you we don't have the Rocking Robins anymore ...

The concourses are busy up to kick off, before and after half time and before full time, that never used to be a thing.
I’m not sure the Rocking Robins would be allowed nowadays…….unless it was a mixture of men and women.

No, I’m not volunteering 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Hate to say it, but the changing demographics of our fan base is going to make it very difficult to get back any sort of atmosphere. Middle class, first generation Bristolians and their children now populate Ashton Gate and whilst their support and money is very welcome, they mostly aren’t going to join in with songs and chants.

It’s just the way football is going I’m afraid and there are only a handful of grounds left in the UK that can still generate a good atmosphere.

At the risk of massive flak, I think the Gas heads often create more noise that we do. Purely from an acoustic and visual standpoint, our sound should come from the centre of the East End.

8 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

The Fulham game seemed completely different for some reason,before the game people actually thought we could win,although obviously we didn’t, but Saturday everyone I went with were very pessimistic,and within 5 minutes of kickoff I knew why,we started on the back foot and let Bournemouth take the initiative,as others have said, it was a very passive performance.Passive performance,passive atmosphere follows.

Maybe that was due to our recent record against Fulham. Maybe it's because we've become accustomed to losing and not enjoying it from that perspective. Maybe we're just getting back to normal and this fairly is normal after a few games.

Whatever it is I'm fairly sure it's nothing to do with where people sit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

3 minutes ago, sludge said:

We should stop selling beer at half-time!!!

Hoards of people leaving their seats with around 38 minutes on the clock so that they can go and get their half-time pint. Does not help the atmosphere!!

All of this would be solved if the football was more enjoyable than a pint or god forbid we were allowed to drink in our seats.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think Redknapp had a bit of a set-to with a City fan behind the dugout when manager of Bournemouth. Can't remember exactly, but I think it got a bit nasty for a while.

My mind could be playing tricks.

I think you're right. I believe handbags were drawn.

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

All of this would be solved if the football was more enjoyable than a pint or god forbid we were allowed to drink in our seats.

I hear it at most games,a big sigh followed by,**** this I’m off for a pint.

The whole pre match routine at AG is gauged at someone’s idea of what they think is required. It’s aimed specifically at  generating money from those attending, hospitality, bars, food outlets, shop, mascot packages etc, etc.

In the Lansdown the sound system is so loud it’s impossible to hold a conversation, so it’s pretty pointless anyone trying to start singing to generate an atmosphere.

Away fans will never be moved anywhere from their present home and that makes absolute sense when you look at the way the stadium has been developed, it’s no longer a football stadium but a multi purpose sports arena, again as designed.

The only time an atmosphere will be generated that might just give the team a small advantage is when we can reasonably expect to see on a regular basis attacking football and a better than average chance of winning a game.

Frankly I’m not sure if that is going to happen with the current squad anytime soon.

So I see further defeats, dwindling attendances, poorer atmospheres and perhaps even fans turning on players and management going forward.

Glass half empty you say…..bloody right it is.

• Like 2

I enjoy the singing and support at games but really? I don’t have anyone standing behind me at work when filling in a spreadsheet. You have a job, just do it. Atmosphere should be more for the fans, in the stands, than the players.

if you can’t get motivated by that level of salary you can f’ off as far as I’m concerned.

Edited by RumRed

Just now, RumRed said:

I enjoy the singing and support at games but really? I don’t have anyone standing behind me at work when filling in doing a spreadsheet. You have a job, just do it. Atmosphere should be more for the fans, in the stands, than the players.

if you can’t get motivated by that level of salary you can f’ off as far as I’m concerned.

Money is demonstrably a pretty poor motivator of people... Maybe you'd rather watch a team who are motivated based on their wage but I wouldn't.

I suspect you don't have 20k people who have paid to watch you fill in that spreadsheet!

I remember complaints about the atmosphere back when the EE was open, endless arguments between the "netters" and the others about who was singing too fast, the rest of the ground saying they couldn't hear it properly due to the roof etc. etc.

What gets an atmosphere going is exciting football. When we play it, the atmosphere is decent imo... but we've had a severe lack of that for years now. Maybe the possession based slowly slowly approach is one to get the purists going but quick, incisive, attacking football - or even players fighting battles and winning tackles will get the atmosphere back.

Imo you could shuffle the fans and it's not going to change anything. Put the main singers in the worst bit of the ground and an exciting game in front of them and the ground will be rocking regardless.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Money is demonstrably a pretty poor motivator of people... Maybe you'd rather watch a team who are motivated based on their wage but I wouldn't.

I suspect you don't have 20k people who have paid to watch you fill in that spreadsheet!

I remember complaints about the atmosphere back when the EE was open, endless arguments between the "netters" and the others about who was singing too fast, the rest of the ground saying they couldn't hear it properly due to the roof etc. etc.

What gets an atmosphere going is exciting football. When we play it, the atmosphere is decent imo... but we've had a severe lack of that for years now. Maybe the possession based slowly slowly approach is one to get the purists going but quick, incisive, attacking football - or even players fighting battles and winning tackles will get the atmosphere back.

Imo you could shuffle the fans and it's not going to change anything. Put the main singers in the worst bit of the ground and an exciting game in front of them and the ground will be rocking regardless.

I was purely making the point that atmosphere is for the fans, not the players.

Also even though only 4 people see my actual spreadsheet over 50,000 see the results once run through some pretty web app.

Maybe I should ask to be on 10k a week and get my company to pay a cheerleading squad just in case I feel a bit down on a wet Tuesday?

Edited by RumRed