IGNORED

Nottingham Forest at home match day thread

Tonight at 745 pm it’s Nottingham Forest under the lights at Ashton Gate, I reckon it will finish 1-1.

NIgel Pearson, who was born in the Bilborough area of the city and attended what was formerly known as the William Sharp School in Nottingham, will be making changes due to injuries and his assessment of Saturday’s game, after which he said, ‘Now there may be opportunities for other players to come out there and get an appearance this week, we’ll see whether they’re up to it.’ Allegedly, Forest have no new injury concerns after their win over Blackpool at the weekend.

Apparently 1,400 Forest fans will be in attendance. For stay at home supporters it’s on the red button.

Forest are one of many forgotten giants of English football. Even though they have been out of the Premier League for the entire 21st century, Forest were a force to be reckoned with during their heyday in the 70s. During their long and interesting history, they have won one League title, two FA Cups and four League Cups. In addition to their domestic trophies, Forest are one of only two British clubs to claim back-to-back European Cups (in all eight teams have won back-to-back European Cups.)

Their glory years were under the management of Brian Clough who took over the managerial role in 1975. Together with his assistant Peter Taylor, Clough transformed Forest into a competitive club with a penchant for attractive football. Even more impressively, it seemed like Forest became a contender overnight; after winning promotion to the First Division in 1977, they won a double the following year by claiming a League title and defeating Liverpool in the League Cup final.

After retaining the League Cup in 1979, Forest then went all the way in the European Cup beating Malmö FF 1-0 in the final. History repeated itself the very next season, with Forest once again reaching the final, where they defeated Hamburger SV 1-0 on the back of a tremendous performance by goalkeeper Peter Shilton (who was the first football player to make 1,000 League appearances.)

Clough led the club to two more League Cup trophies in 1989 and 1990 before deciding to retire in 1993, thus bringing an end to Forest's glory days. In 1999, the club was relegated to the Championship.

Of the many Cloughie quotes my favourite is “I got home late from a midweek away game and my wife Barbara said to me in bed, 'God, your feet are cold.' I said, 'Barbara, you can call me Brian when we are in bed, dear.'" Closely followed by his advice to a physio who was treating a concussed Stuart Pearce, Physio: ‘Boss he’s concussed and doesn’t know who he is’ Clough: ‘Tell him he’s Pele and that he’s playing up front for the last 10 minutes.’

They’ve fielded some impressive players over the years including, Viv Anderson, Trevor Francis, Des Walker, Martin O'Neill, Archie Gemmill, Peter Shilton, Kenny Burns, Neil Webb, Stuart Pearce and Roy Keane.

Turning to more recent times their final Championship league position have been:

2019-20 7th

2018-19 9th

2017-18 17th

2016- 17 21st

2015-16 16th

They currently are in 16th place with 14 points.

Sometime ago they very much joined the manager merry go-round. Last season they appointed Chris Hughton who lasted just shy of year and managed 14 wins in 53 games. Steve Cooper took up the poisoned chalice last month (when they were bottom of the league) and his first four games have resulted in 3 wins and 1 draw, so he’s certainly enjoyed a decent start, when he arrived they had four points from eight games, since he’s taken over they’ve picked up 10 points. He is the 14th manager they have appointed in the past 10 years, since Billy Davies departed in the summer of 2011. If he continues as he’s started they will be replacing the car park signage!

They are owned by Evangelos Marinakis a 54 year old Greek media mogul, shipowner, lyricist and member of the Piraeus city council. He is the owner of Olympiacos as well as Forest. If you have the appetite take a look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelos_Marinakis for more about him.

Our head-to-head record against them isn’t impressive, we’ve won 22, drawn 33 and lost 41.

Away from football both them and us once had the tobacco industry in common. For younger fans here’s a slice of  history:

https://pastinthepresent.net/2017/06/29/up-in-smoke-tracing-the-rise-and-fall-of-bristols-tobacco-industry-as-seen-through-its-buildings/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-27050019

Four Forest facts

Samuel Widdowson played for Nottingham Forest in the 1870s and invented football shin pads in 1874.

When Forest beat rivals Derby in the FA Cup final in 1898, they swapped their red shirts for their opponents’ white shirts. This was because the photographer was worried the colour wouldn’t show up.

When Trevor Francis joined Nottingham Forest from Birmingham City for £1 million he became the first multi-million pound footballer.

Former Dr Who Matt Smith (no not the Millwall one) once played for Nottingham Forest’s youth team before the big success on the television. He played alongside Jermaine Jenas at one point, before they both went their separate ways to form a successful career.

COYR.

44B96847-0C23-4613-8FEE-CA292FD47C3E.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Tonight at 745 pm it’s Nottingham Forest under the lights at Ashton Gate, I reckon it will finish 1-1.

NIgel Pearson, who was born in the Bilborough area of the city and attended what was formerly known as the William Sharp School in Nottingham, will be making changes due to injuries and his assessment of Saturday’s game, after which he said, ‘Now there may be opportunities for other players to come out there and get an appearance this week, we’ll see whether they’re up to it.’ Allegedly, Forest have no new injury concerns after their win over Blackpool at the weekend.

Apparently 1,400 Forest fans will be in attendance. For stay at home supporters it’s on the red button.

Forest are one of many forgotten giants of English football. Even though they have been out of the Premier League for the entire 21st century, Forest were a force to be reckoned with during their heyday in the 70s. During their long and interesting history, they have won one League title, two FA Cups and four League Cups. In addition to their domestic trophies, Forest are one of only two British clubs to claim back-to-back European Cups (in all eight teams have won back-to-back European Cups.)

Their glory years were under the management of Brian Clough who took over the managerial role in 1975. Together with his assistant Peter Taylor, Clough transformed Forest into a competitive club with a penchant for attractive football. Even more impressively, it seemed like Forest became a contender overnight; after winning promotion to the First Division in 1977, they won a double the following year by claiming a League title and defeating Liverpool in the League Cup final.

After retaining the League Cup in 1979, Forest then went all the way in the European Cup beating Malmö FF 1-0 in the final. History repeated itself the very next season, with Forest once again reaching the final, where they defeated Hamburger SV 1-0 on the back of a tremendous performance by goalkeeper Peter Shilton (who was the first football player to make 1,000 League appearances.)

Clough led the club to two more League Cup trophies in 1989 and 1990 before deciding to retire in 1993, thus bringing an end to Forest's glory days. In 1999, the club was relegated to the Championship.

Of the many Cloughie quotes my favourite is “I got home late from a midweek away game and my wife Barbara said to me in bed, 'God, your feet are cold.' I said, 'Barbara, you can call me Brian when we are in bed, dear.'" Closely followed by his advice to a physio who was treating a concussed Stuart Pearce, Physio: ‘Boss he’s concussed and doesn’t know who he is’ Clough: ‘Tell him he’s Pele and that he’s playing up front for the last 10 minutes.’

They’ve fielded some impressive players over the years including, Viv Anderson, Trevor Francis, Des Walker, Martin O'Neill, Archie Gemmill, Peter Shilton, Kenny Burns, Neil Webb, Stuart Pearce and Roy Keane.

Turning to more recent times their final Championship league position have been:

2019-20 7th

2018-19 9th

2017-18 17th

2016- 17 21st

2015-16 16th

Sometime ago they very much joined the manager merry go-round. Last season they appointed Chris Hughton who lasted just shy of year and managed 14 wins in 53 games. Steve Cooper took up the poisoned chalice last month (when they were bottom of the league) and his first four games have resulted in 3 wins and 1 draw, so he’s certainly enjoyed a decent start, when he arrived they had four points from eight games, since he’s taken over they’ve picked up 10 points. He is the 14th manager they have appointed in the past 10 years, since Billy Davies departed in the summer of 2011. If he continues as he’s started they will be replacing the car park signage!

They are owned by Evangelos Marinakis a 54 year old Greek media mogul, shipowner, lyricist and member of the Piraeus city council. He is the owner of Olympiacos as well as Forest. If you have the appetite take a look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelos_Marinakis for more about him.

Our head-to-head record against them isn’t impressive, we’ve won 22, drawn 33 and lost 41.

Away from football both them and us once had the tobacco industry in common. For younger fans here’s a slice of  history:

https://pastinthepresent.net/2017/06/29/up-in-smoke-tracing-the-rise-and-fall-of-bristols-tobacco-industry-as-seen-through-its-buildings/

Four Forest facts

Samuel Widdowson played for Nottingham Forest in the 1870s and invented football shin pads in 1874.

When Forest beat rivals Derby in the FA Cup final in 1898, they swapped their red shirts for their opponents’ white shirts. This was because the photographer was worried the colour wouldn’t show up.

When Trevor Francis joined Nottingham Forest from Birmingham City for £1 million he became the first multi-million pound footballer.

Former Dr Who Matt Smith (no not the Millwall one) once played for Nottingham Forest’s youth team before the big success on the television. He played alongside Jermaine Jenas at one point, before they both went their separate ways to form a successful career.

COYR.

Myth has it that they also lent Arsenal some of their kit for a match and the Woolwich Arsenal have played in red ever since!

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

2019-20 7th

2018-19 9th

2017-18 17th

2016- 17 21st

2015-16 16th

Four Forest facts

COYR.

Condensed Version

Nottingham Forest:

Tonight at 7:45pm

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It’s my first game since birth of my daughter and COVID hitting so I can’t see anything other than a huge win, 2-1 not a problem ?

Totally agree with you on a win to us. After all it has to happen one day. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

3 goals at home this season in 6 matches

Pretty obvious where our problem lies

We need some pace and width up front

I think most on here would agree with you. We are not doing too badly though over all. Our position in the league is OK at the moment. Things could go either way over the next three or four matches. A couple of wins a draw and a lose would bring us 7 points out of 12. 

Not withstanding that we know what the issues are up front.

• Like 1

A rejuvenated Forest backed by a noisy following against a pathetic City who can't string two passes together and backed by the Ashton Gate library.  Only one way this is ending and might lead to the first signs of visible disgruntlement among City fans.  We've barely raised a whimper about this home form and this can't go on. An ironic chuckle at the end of every home interview from NP about a failure to yet again win might start to grate. 

Edited by cityloyal473
  • Like 6