IGNORED

Nottingham Forest at home match day thread

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

oh, I see it a completely different way. I think we’re better. Today was hard luck, but generally I think we’ve looked stronger than we did last season. 

I think everyone largely agreed that we’d be happy to avoid relegation this season while the reshape took place, well… we’re comfortably mid table. 

I still think the future looks good. The home win will come, mark my words. 

I’m behind us and happy to see what the Nige era brings, but let’s all be honest about how bad we we’re tonight.

If you watched that game then you saw a team bereft of idea and a complete lack of ability when in possession.

Forest were poor. So many poor final balls.

We will get walloped at home soon.

Edited by 054123
4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It’s unbearable to watch at home, it really is.

I cannot believe how bad we are in possession.

These are all professional footballers at a great level and yet we cannot retain possession.

There are so many bad footballers when in possession. How have we amassed this squad?

Tanner and Atkinson look good additions but what Aston left is awful.

Agree 100%. The people who say they enjoyed the game and thought we were good must be pissed. It’s the only excuse

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Change the whole pre match routine- as now it’s  the same tunes, videos, Downsy  etc, it’s de ja vue

Freshen it up, might make a difference - might sound a bit leftfield, but this little bit of change might help change the mentality slightly enough just to get the win 

I doubt it, Ashton and Lansdown amassed a squad not capable of competing and more worryingly did so in a manner that has hamstrung us financially. 

Play whatever the **** you want we still can’t retain possession for more than 2 passes.

Edited by 054123
2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Change the whole pre match routine- as now it’s  the same tunes, videos, Downsy  etc, it’s de ja vue

Freshen it up, might make a difference - might sound a bit leftfield, but this little bit of change might help change the mentality slightly enough just to get the win 

Agree with this 100%

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

And we’re not anywhere near the bottom 3? Don’t understand the point? 

You said you don’t understand what people expect this season.

Well, we all expect to win some games at home this season. If we go on like this until May, we will probably be relegated.

My point is that if the bottom 3 can win games at home, why can’t we ?

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

This isn’t a bad idea.

It does feel so samey down there. Need to change the atmosphere.

The thing that annoyed me the most tonight was Taylor grabbing the ball as they knew they could win it. Imagine that, not settling for a point away but knowing they had 3 minutes to win at and believing they could.

What does that say that other clubs think about us? Vulnerable? Brittle? Soft?

On a par with Rowett saying last year that we were basically 3 points in waiting.

• Like 1

All too inevitable now- we sat further and further back as the half went on, eleven men behind the ball and said to them you will have to break us down.

For all the noise about Dave Rennie helping the physical side of the player well-being, I think it’s now a big mental problem for the players especially at home, that last ten minutes where were the leaders barking orders…. Talking the younger players through the game… I only saw Tanner putting the crunching tackles in to get the crown behind them. We still look like eleven individuals out on the pitch and not a team with spirit.

we didn’t play well and a draw would have been a fair result.

1 minute ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

If he had the backing to sign more of what he wanted I'd doubt Weimann and Baker would be here. and 5/11 isn't 11/11 or what about a squad of players he wants. He wouldn't have let Baker go in the first place if he was given the funds. 

What new manager gets to change an entire squad immediately ? Many manage to produce winning teams from previous managers players without changing one. Not sure of this mantra of "he is working with other peoples crap players" holds much water at this point. Just sounds like an excuse. - IMO

7 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

LJ or Holden never used Pring or Scott, its NP who is bringing through the youngsters and actually playing them. 

We have been awful at home since Cotterill left, this isn't a now issue thats popped up out of the blue, this has been building up for years. 

I don't think you can blame LJ for not using Scott. If he was here under LJ's tenure he'd have been 16 at most.

A tale of a modern day manager against a yesterday man who thinks that playing the Warnock/ McCarthy/ Rowlett/ Pauli’s way will get you somewhere, constantly losing possession by  getting your keeper to lump it down the middle at every opportunity gets you nowhere, any successful manager nowadays knows it’s all about keeping possession 

• Like 1

The most galling last five minutes I can remember watching City. I had absolutely no doubt they would equalise, given our penchant for throwing away 1-0 wins this season and the fact that they forced countless corners and every time their players ran at our fullbacks we looked decidedly edgy, but to go on and lose it was a real sickener.

Yes, we should have had a pen and Wells ought to have buried his shot that he struck the post with, but their spot-kick was a stonewaller and until we scored Forest had been well on top.

You can argue we looked decent in patches second half but once again there was very little end product and in the context of our abysmal home run and the manner in which we capitulated last five minutes there are zero crumbs of comfort.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, pillred said:

Plenty of managers have lost their job with better records than him, how you can be happy with what's going on at the moment is beyond me fair play you must be very easily pleased.

Easily pleased? Not really, I'm just not deluded, thanks. 

Sigh. Not sure why I'll bother but I'll bite... 

We shouldn't have lost tonight like we did, at all. That's all down to the players mentality. Pearson is by far the best manager we've had at the helm in a VERY long time. He's having to try and get the best out of a team that is lacking in quality and depth. We've got one or two promising youngsters, but 4 years of the previous regime isn't going to be wiped out and cleared in the blink of an eye, when he's been told he has no money to spend. 

And with covid, lots of clubs aren't spending in the Championship due to the losses incurred. 

Our home record is dire, but there isn't a second that I've doubted Pearson, I'm grateful he's here. Some fans need to get off their high horse and lower their expectations, especially given the circumstances of last season with no fans. 

The typical over reactions on here are shamefully predictable. There isn't a fan on here that is happy we've lost, we all wanted and expected to not lose come 90 mins. We haven't. You must be out of your mind to want the manager sacked on the back of that. 

I really do wish some people could see the bigger picture, the long game. 

But one thing we can agree on, the home form needs to change, and quickly. 

• Like 6
  • Robin 1
1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

What new manager gets to change an entire squad immediately ? Many manage to produce winning teams from previous managers players without changing one. Not sure of this mantra of "he is working with other peoples crap players" holds much water at this point. Just sounds like an excuse. - IMO

You can bring in any manager with this squad, same thing will happen, been happening for years and ain't gunna change overnight. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, TomThumb84 said:

This isn’t a bad idea.

It does feel so samey down there. Need to change the atmosphere.

The thing that annoyed me the most tonight was Taylor grabbing the ball as they knew they could win it. Imagine that, not settling for a point away but knowing they had 3 minutes to win at and believing they could.

What does that say that other clubs think about us? Vulnerable? Brittle? Soft?

On a par with Rowett saying last year that we were basically 3 points in waiting.

Mentally week. 

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

You said you don’t understand what people expect this season.

Well, we all expect to win some games at home this season. If we go on like this until May, we will probably be relegated.

My point is that if the bottom 3 can win games at home, why can’t we ?

But my point was in response to someone saying we don’t have any fight or resolve.  So I didn’t get what you were referring to? 

I - like many of us - went to that ******* horror show tonight. I got rained on, my burger tasted like ass and a speed bump assaulted my car on the ride home. 

We need to forget tonight immediately and move on. Saturday we’re away to a very good team, but thank god we’re away. From the depths of tonight I can see us stealing an undeserved draw. And then we WILL beat Barnsley. The hoodoo will be over. Tonight never happened.

Ps Jack Grealish has Alex Scott bedsheets. Up the City.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I largely agree with this with two caveats.

1) I am going to fault Baker for the penalty. Mistakes happen but, for a senior player to make that sort of challenge late on was undoubtedly a mistake.

2) We did not react at all well to the goal going in. It was probably a handball but we shouldn't have been that easy to penetrate immediately after conceding.

Nonetheless I'm gutted for the players. They worked hard and did well for 90-odd minutes only to throw it away in a minute of ridiculousness. 

Number 2 is the more worrying aspect to me. That just sums up how mentally weak we are.

I thought we played well tonight. We won nearly every long ball header and managed to pick up the second balls well. We Finally played a formation that suits.  I would have made the same subs,  odowda to stretch the defence with his fresh legs was the right thing to do.   Massengo should have called for the pass but baker panicked and lumped it out and the rest is history.  Baker had to attempt a challenge but it was a tired poor one   We are just mentally weak 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

But my point was in response to someone saying we don’t have any fight or resolve.  So I didn’t get what you were referring to? 

That’s fair enough, Mate.

I am on the phone so unable to highlight the part of your post I was replying to

Edited by The Gasbuster
Just now, ProfitInMyPocket said:

You can bring in any manager with this squad, same thing will happen, been happening for years and ain't gunna change overnight. 

Totally disagree. Very decent squad for this division, quality players in nearly every position and the manager was allowed to dispense with the ones he didn't want.

There is a lot wrong currently and this is only going to go one way - IMO

The writing was on the wall as soon as we came out after half time. Sitting so deep and letting forest pass at will. Luckily the forest attack was so shit it took for a calamitous challenge from baker to gift them the goal from the penalty . What followed was one of the most spineless moments I have ever seen following city. 

Why on earth would you bring on O’Dowda for wells? The bloke just doesn’t want to know defensively, he played the last few minutes uninteresting in pressing/challenging forest for the ball.

Let’s hope we can work some magic on the road again, hope the manner of that defeat doesn’t knock the stuffing out the team. 

1 minute ago, Akira said:

Easily pleased? Not really, I'm just not deluded, thanks. 

Sigh. Not sure why I'll bother but I'll bite... 

We shouldn't have lost tonight like we did, at all. That's all down to the players mentality. Pearson is by far the best manager we've had at the helm in a VERY long time. He's having to try and get the best out of a team that is lacking in quality and depth. We've got one or two promising youngsters, but 4 years of the previous regime isn't going to be wiped out and cleared in the blink of an eye, when he's been told he has no money to spend. 

And with covid, lots of clubs aren't spending in the Championship due to the losses incurred. 

Our home record is dire, but there isn't a second that I've doubted Pearson, I'm grateful he's here. Some fans need to get off their high horse and lower their expectations, especially given the circumstances of last season with no fans. 

The typical over reactions on here are shamefully predictable. There isn't a fan on here that is happy we've lost, we all wanted and expected to not lose come 90 mins. We haven't. You must be out of your mind to want the manager sacked on the back of that. 

I really do wish some people could see the bigger picture, the long game. 

But one thing we can agree on, the home form needs to change, and quickly. 

I said the other day we have to get some home wins by under our belt by February/March otherwise you are looking at sub 10k season ticket sales next season. Far too many people not enjoying it right now.

The bigger picture is simply stay in the division and I think Nige will achieve that one but we do need to give home supporters something to get behind otherwise it’ll go tits up. Tonight was criminal tbh.

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

That’s fair enough, Mate.

I am in the phone so unable to highlight the part of your post I was replying to

We are all narced about the home record but it will come. We have fighting spirit otherwise we wouldn’t have won at Peterborough, Cardiff and QPR. We are just a bit ****** players wise at the moment.  This season was always going to suck a bit as a result. But we have people in charge who know what they are doing and I have confidence that given time they will build a decent team. Meanwhile as long as we remain away from the relegation zone this season I don’t care whether the points come at home or away. But a home win would be very nice and I reckon itll come v Barnsley.  

• Like 1

Lee Johnson couldn't manage this team, Dean Holden couldn't either. Now Nigel Pearson really looks like he hasn't got a clue.  It seems to me that the issues run much deeper. I could understand being beaten by Bournemouth, though we could have at least put up a fight, but turning our first home win in months into a defeat to a team as poor as Forest with 2 minutes to go is unbelievable.

It's not difficult to look at this team to see where the weaknesses lie and something big really needs to happen in the January window, though I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2