IGNORED

Nottingham Forest at home match day thread

5 minutes ago, pillred said:

It is, the amount of latitude he is being given by most if not all posters on here just goes to show that he can get away with practically anything.  I'm fairly certain he would have been out the door by now in a majority of clubs, were just too nice. LJ was given too long I hope we don't end up doing the same again as as we stand playing wise I can see the trapdoor looming, we got away with it last season this time we may not be so lucky.

im with you on this for example cooper with a bang average forest side has got them on a roll,but big nige seems to be struggling with what i think is not a bad side just lacking some pace. 

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

And again what would you change? Third time I’ve asked you, but still no answer…I get it sack the manager as that must be the only answer but replace with who and where is the cash coming from for them to spend?

It worked for Forrest didn't it though, we are no better under Pearson than any of the last two managers, I mean if they wanted someone to not win at home for 10 months I would have been available. 

• Flames 1

Tonight was our chance to get the home win & would have kept on Wells until the end & tried to keep Scott on longer than we did.

The team fought hard, except Palmer & Odowda gave us zero dynamic coming on which I don’t get. Talent & pace but it just didn’t work & we retreated back to our own box.

So inevitable.

52 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wonder who he is referring to at the end. 

It sounds like we had players at loggerheads in the dressing room afterwards & some of them still don’t care enough about playing for this club.

Easy targets in my opinion tonight would be Martin, James & JD. Additionally Palmer & O’Dowda came on to add fresh legs & actually made us less effective due to their rubbish work ethics.

Edited by Cardy
2 minutes ago, pillred said:

It worked for Forrest didn't it though, we are no better under Pearson than any of the last two managers, I mean if they wanted someone to not win at home for 10 months I would have been available. 

You don’t accept the that Pearson has to correct the legacy of the previous 2 managers and a dodgy CEO? Too many average players, too many out of contract, some major behind the scenes **** ups on the injury front, and with a wage bill that in the present climate was unsustainable. I reckon he needs at least 2 years to turn it around.

Cooper has had the benefit of going to a club that had good players, but were just poorly managed by Hughton.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

A tale of a modern day manager against a yesterday man who thinks that playing the Warnock/ McCarthy/ Rowlett/ Pauli’s way will get you somewhere, constantly losing possession by  getting your keeper to lump it down the middle at every opportunity gets you nowhere, any successful manager nowadays knows it’s all about keeping possession 

This ‘dinosaur’ and ‘yesterday man’ rubbish is wearing a bit thin now - Sir Alex Ferguson, Neil Warnock, Sir Bobby Robson, Roy Hodgson, Claudio Ranieri - these guys still managed / are managing clubs well into their ‘70s - they’ve got huge amounts of experience to lean on and pass on - these guys are gold and fantastic role models - and they are and have been very successful - why on earth anyone would class Nigel as a ‘yesterday man’ is both hilarious and unbelievable ... in comparison, Nigel hasn’t been a football manager for that long, yet he’s been very successful already - ‘yesterday’s man’ my arse ... ??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

You don’t accept the that Pearson has to correct the legacy of the previous 2 managers and a dodgy CEO? Too many average players, too many out of contract, some major behind the scenes **** ups on the injury front, and with a wage bill that in the present climate was unsustainable. I reckon he needs at least 2 years to turn it around.

Cooper has had the benefit of going to a club that had good players, but were just poorly managed by Hughton.

I recognise all those things, and yes the previous lot have left us in the sh*t but it's the fact that we have no organization our game management is so poor and we don't seem able to hold on to the ball for more than a couple of passes, all things I hoped a man with his experience would have improved even a little, at the moment I'm not seeing it maybe in a season or two we will look back on the present and laugh about it but at the moment I'm finding it hard to raise even a sickly grin.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

We had 2 shots on target one of which was the goal.

We had 1 corner.

We had 33% of the possession.

Fans need to stop deluding themselves.

Probably both shots on target contributed to the goal. First shot on target from Wells that was saved and the rebound to Scott which went in. Apart from that move, nothing else was on target 

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

I recognise all those things, and yes the previous lot have left us in the sh*t but it's the fact that we have no organization our game management is so poor and we don't seem able to hold on to the ball for more than a couple of passes, all things I hoped a man with his experience would have improved even a little, at the moment I'm not seeing it maybe in a season or two we will look back on the present and laugh about it but at the moment I'm finding it hard to raise even a sickly grin.

I think you answered your own question he has been left with half a  mediocre squad some of which he had no choice but to keep as no one would want them. With Bents Kalas Atkinson Han Noah James Tanner Scott  Pring we are heading the right direction. The rest are bang average. We lack width and a cutting edge up front. Time for Benarous Britton etc to be given a chance. Is Dasilva similar to Bryan and more of a left winger than full back?

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This ‘dinosaur’ and ‘yesterday man’ rubbish is wearing a bit thin now - Sir Alex Ferguson, Neil Warnock, Sir Bobby Robson, Roy Hodgson, Claudio Ranieri - these guys still managed / are managing clubs well into their ‘70s - they’ve got huge amounts of experience to lean on and pass on - these guys are gold and fantastic role models - and they are and have been very successful - why on earth anyone would class Nigel as a ‘yesterday man’ is both hilarious and unbelievable ... in comparison, Nigel hasn’t been a football manager for that long, yet he’s been very successful already - ‘yesterday’s man’ my arse ... ??

I think you’re missing my point, it’s not the age i’m getting at but the outdated style of football which certainly would not include Robson and Ferguson, I would certainly question your judgement in describing Warnock as “gold and a fantastic role model” 

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

The lack of technical ability in midfield and up front was most evident. The inability to control the ball and make passes seems out of our scope right now. The early season pressing is also somewhat diluted . There is clearly a lack of confidence in the side that is making matters worse. There are no quick solutions , no magic wand. The squad is not a great squad , it has too many compromises and is lacking in pace, abilty and power. It looks like we will need to move another 5/6 between Jan window and next summer. So this season is a huge compromise and will again be about survival. A home win  will come, and it will give everyone the confidence on and off the field. But Pearson cannot turn around the mess we were. (are) in unless we give him (or anyone else for that matter) more time. The squad needs a striker and a genuine wide player asap. 

With makeshift players in central zones that is always a risk.

King, Williams injured, Bakinson and Massengo- not that I have a huge deal of faith in Bakinson- on the bench, there will be although certainly not like Saturday, a risk of overload or similar. Palmer does not give you that dominance or even stability or control in CM, Massengo, James and Williams as a CM 3 would definitely give us something, with King as first reserve.

Nagy played quite well or steadily at Wembley last week, still think he had something but there we go- finances were also a consideration.

Pearson- will a central 2 succeed at our level? By which I mean approach top 6- my suspicion is not but we're a long way from that in any event.

Fully fit squad could see grounds for a) Improvement and b) Room for growth, to build around. Lay out the 3 in CM as you see fit. Martin I think if we keep playing him, we'll break him. Fully accept Weimann wide right isn't exactly perfect- could make a case for Scott-Weimann-Semenyo maybe, or I dunno Semenyo-Weimann-Pring- agree a number of the current squad are compromises but when certain key players are fully fit, there are grounds to hope for a bit better.

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson DaSilva

James Williams Massengo

Weimann Wells Semenyo

Bold=Injured, Italics=not yet probably fully fit.

Subs: O'Leary, Baker, Pring, King, Bakinson, Scott, Martin.

Once a few fall away injured, fatigued whatever, it looks thin on the ground tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

When are the powers at the top going to realise that there seems to be a certain style/age of manager that just isn’t working anymore?
Pearson, Hughton, Adkins all previously good managers can’t buy a win now! 
Whereas young up and coming managers seem to have different more dynamic approaches.

Take Cooper at Forest for example - only a few games in and they are really motoring already. 
Being a City fan is so depressing these days!

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Probably both shots on target contributed to the goal. First shot on target from Wells that was saved and the rebound to Scott which went in. Apart from that move, nothing else was on target 

Is is NP fault that’s Scott puts a shot wide from 5 yards out? Stats only tell a small part of the story. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedInDevon said:

When are the powers at the top going to realise that there seems to be a certain style/age of manager that just isn’t working anymore?
Pearson, Hughton, Adkins all previously good managers can’t buy a win now! 
Whereas young up and coming managers seem to have different more dynamic approaches.

Take Cooper at Forest for example - only a few games in and they are really motoring already. 
Being a City fan is so depressing these days!

Cooper inherited a very good set of players that Houghton could not get a tune out of,  our manager inherited a legacy of shit, caused in part by a drone loving, grass measuring, spend a bit of time in A&E watching young manager and his apprentice, that’s not to say that all our current issues are down to them, but that’s what Pearson has had to pick up and deal with, with no money to spend.

If it was your company under performing, would you employ the bright looking intern, or bring in an experienced consultant?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, lenred said:

Lee Johnson was given 4 + years. Hardly a comparison. 

In total !

Remember he had relative success for at least the first 3 years of that, top 8 in the league and League cup run and then had to sell all of his best players.

This manager has won 6 of 28 in the league and lost to a league 2 team in the cup and we look a shambles.

22 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Cooper inherited a very good set of players that Houghton could not get a tune out of,  our manager inherited a legacy of shit, caused in part by a drone loving, grass measuring, spend a bit of time in A&E watching young manager and his apprentice, that’s not to say that all our current issues are down to them, but that’s what Pearson has had to pick up and deal with, with no money to spend.

If it was your company under performing, would you employ the bright looking intern, or bring in an experienced consultant?

How are Sunderland getting on ?

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

The lack of technical ability in midfield and up front was most evident. The inability to control the ball and make passes seems out of our scope right now. The early season pressing is also somewhat diluted . There is clearly a lack of confidence in the side that is making matters worse. There are no quick solutions , no magic wand. The squad is not a great squad , it has too many compromises and is lacking in pace, abilty and power. It looks like we will need to move another 5/6 between Jan window and next summer. So this season is a huge compromise and will again be about survival. A home win  will come, and it will give everyone the confidence on and off the field. But Pearson cannot turn around the mess we were. (are) in unless we give him (or anyone else for that matter) more time. The squad needs a striker and a genuine wide player asap. 

Spot on and NP has made this clear too, although in slightly different terms. It’s not going to be resolved quickly, we have incremental improvements to look forward to.  

13 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

In total !

Remember he had relative success for at least the first 3 years of that, top 8 in the league and League cup run and then had to sell all of his best players.

This manager has won 6 of 28 in the league and lost to a league 2 team in the cup and we look a shambles.

How are Sunderland getting on ?

Not immediately comparable, I like the idea of challenging conceptions and trying new ideas, perhaps LJ might have worked out under a different operational model and without the influence of an all encompassing CEO, who’s to know. I’d love to read whatever book he brings out which covers his time here.

Ironically I think the cup run ruined Johnson’s best chance, as if my memory is right, did we not play Wolves just before Xmas with the chance of going top and then after that once the cup run was over we went into free fall.

the situation now needs football experience and someone who understands the footballing side from top to bottom and someone not previously connected with the running of the club bringing in a level of objectivity we’ve not had for a while…

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What is his managerial record over the last 5 years ?

1 minute ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Think Weimann needs a spell out of the starting 11, as soon as he gets the ball you just know its gonna go wrong.

I think Wiemann brings pace, clearly useful for the press, plus intelligent running into space, perhaps too intelligent for those playing the balls forward. What he’s not so good at though is holding onto the ball especially centrally and slightly deeper, that role really does not suit him.

6 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not immediately comparable, I like the idea of challenging conceptions and trying new ideas, perhaps LJ might have worked out under a different operational model and without the influence of an all encompassing CEO, who’s to know. I’d love to read whatever book he brings out which covers his time here.

Ironically I think the cup run ruined Johnson’s best chance, as if my memory is right, did we not play Wolves just before Xmas with the chance of going top and then after that once the cup run was over we went into free fall.

the situation now needs football experience and someone who understands the footballing side from top to bottom and someone not previously connected with the running of the club bringing in a level of objectivity we’ve not had for a while…

That Wolves game is the day our home form died IMO. We beat United, then face Wolves a few days later and I said at the time I'd have lost to United if it meant beating Wolves.

We capitulated in that game after being on top against 10 men. Fielding getting sent off in a rash manner and then Pack giving the ball away in the last minute.

I think we did that 2-3 more times at home that season, Sunderland and Hull? and I'm sure one other. The home form hasn't been the same since

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That Wolves game is the day our home form died IMO. We beat United, then face Wolves a few days later and I said at the time I'd have lost to United if it meant beating Wolves.

We capitulated in that game after being on top against 10 men. Fielding getting sent off in a rash manner and then Pack giving the ball away in the last minute.

I think we did that 2-3 more times at home that season, Sunderland and Hull? and I'm sure one other. The home form hasn't been the same since

You sure it wasn't when city lost to Preston 2-0 at home in the 99/00 season?

Madness