IGNORED

A tinge of doubt creeping in

Kid in the Riot

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree. Not least with the wages they are on too.

The classic example is Kasey Palmer - £20-25k p.w. allegedly, assuming City paid him what he was on at Chelsea.  Will have 18 months left on his contract in January, and be sat with an asset value of c£1.3m.

If you fancy signing Palmer I don’t see how we would get both a fee and someone to cover his wages.  He might accept less at a new club, for a longer contract, but it will cost us £1.3m as an impairment.

Not good business.

We saw the market with Adam Nagy.

How depressing

• Robin 1

16 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I guess because it's another 10 Championship games. If we are then fighting relegation and performances are not vastly improved then I doubt very much indeed he'll be given until Xmas 2022 by anyone- particularly not the fans.

I think we have got the quality- at least enough to stay up but we currently dont seem have either the confidence or nouse to stay in a game. That has to be the job of the coaching staff.

Out of interest, as I read this quality shout a lot, what assessment or how much have you watched of the teams below us to know they don’t have the quality? Many of our players wouldn’t get in other championship sides - perhaps Bentley, Kalas only at the moment. 

Also, football is more than quality. It’s determination, self motivation, the will to win especially when the chips are down. At the minute I don’t see much of that from a few of our players. It only takes a few and the impact is huge. 

6 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Bentley has no sell on value his next club will be League 1 be that 1 year or 3 years from now 

Really? He will probably be in his peak over the next couple of years. If he isn't with us he'll be at another Championship club, or a back up goalkeeper in the Premier League.
If Lee Camp can play at Championship level for over a decade then Daniel Bentley certainly will

3 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Out of interest, as I read this quality shout a lot, what assessment or how much have you watched of the teams below us to know they don’t have the quality? Many of our players wouldn’t get in other championship sides - perhaps Bentley, Kalas only at the moment. 

Also, football is more than quality. It’s determination, self motivation, the will to win especially when the chips are down. At the minute I don’t see much of that from a few of our players. It only takes a few and the impact is huge. 

Actually a very good question about quality. I think you missed a few players such as Wells,HNM and James with the possibility that Scott might be in or around another Champ team possibly Williams if he ever gets fit. Weimann also. I really dont have the in depth knowledge or stats to know if those clubs who are going to be fighting relegation have individual quality players better than ours. It doesn't help that for whatever reason, some players are being played out of their natural position.

When it comes to it- you are exactly right that even with quality, if the players aren't giving their all and showing the will to fight for every ball then quality counts for little. So it's down to the coaching staff and that is precisely the point of the OP about having a tinge of doubt.

32 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Think he will have some value but certainly massively overrated- Christ, some even thought Southgate would be looking at him ???

Undoubtedly has value….but how much would we get for him?  How much over the initial c£3m we paid in the current market?  And if more, some of that will be owed to Brentford.

I doubt it would find the striker we need.

On 26/10/2021 at 15:25, Kid in the Riot said:

Some possible mitigation that I noticed today, which may put a slightly different perspective on the last month's results...

Our last 4 defeats have come against teams 1st (B'muff), 4th (Forest), 5th (Millwall) and 6th (WBA) in the the form table.

In between those were a draw against Fulham (2nd) and a win over Posh (18th).

Next up - Barnsley (23rd), Brum (20th) and Cov (13th). Goes without saying, we really need to see some points being won in these three games....

13th in the form table maybe but top 6 in the League with 19 pts from 7 at home- that will be difficult for sure.

5 pts would be a fairly acceptable return I think.

6 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I will say what I see… mistakes lead to goals unfortunately Bentley is a dodgy keeper, I have watched enough football to no one … we won’t reach our ambitions with him in there I would bet a polite small wager with you that whe City do get promoted in the next 5 years Bentley will not be in goal ?‍♂️

That doesn't match what you said though does it?

You said his next club will be league 1 in 1 or 3 years. I'll make a small bet (for charity) with you that if he leaves city in that timeframe it won't be for a league 1 club. Deal?

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 22:45, Kid in the Riot said:

I still think he's probably the best person available to turn this mess around, and let's be honest it was a huge mess. Our league position flattered us last season and Pearson was quite right in saying that had the season gone on another 10 games we'd have gone down.

However, it's not just his record here: played 28, won 6, drawn 8, lost 14.

It's Watford: played 22, won 7, drawn 5, lost 10

It's Leuven: played 56, won 18, drawn 15, lost 23

It's Derby: played 14, won 3, drawn 5, lost 6

Those appointments span the last 6+ years and in each job he's lost more games than he's won. I haven't totalled it, but I'm guessing Pearson's last 120 games or so in charge of a football club wouldn't make for pretty reading. There's about 34 wins there I think.

There is a nagging doubt in my mind as to whether we've got this manager in too late and his best years, which were at Leicester 2011-15, starting over 10 years ago, are behind him. 

Yes the doubt is now firmly setting in.