IGNORED

Last minute goals

Daniro

For me, conceding or scoring goals in the closing minutes of the first or second half is very often a question of mentality.  

I seem to remember in our play off season under Gary Johnson, we often scored right at the close.

It seems to me that nowadays and for quite a few seasons recently we are the ones who concede.    Any team with any sense knows to attack us because we seem unable to "game manage".    

With a boss as experienced as Nige, I am really shocked that today we were torn apart in injury time.  It's a disgrace.   We have plenty of seasoned pros in the team who must know about game management.

Does anyone  know how to run  the stats on our record for conceding / scoring in, say  the last 5 minutes of either first or second halves?  I think it would tell us a lot about the psychology of our team.

• Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, Super said:

If only we had a manager on the touchline who could try and bark orders and organise.

Surely the players should have a game management plan practiced and trained on for bringing games home in the final minutes. I do not see the manager or coach's having a great effect from the touchline in these situations. The players need to better and better as a team. It's all down to the players in the pitch to me. 

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Surely the players should have a game management plan practiced and trained on for bringing games home in the final minutes. I do not see the manager or coach's having a great effect from the touchline in these situations. The players need to better and better as a team. It's all down to the players in the pitch to me. 

Not so sure. I think a manager can surely help especially late on in the game. Feels like he is hiding away.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Not so sure. I think a manager can surely help especially late on in the game. Feels like he is hiding away.

Ok we will have to fifer on thoughts if that. But your comment that he is hiding away is interesting because surely a ms a football manager there is no where to hide from results 

2 minutes ago, watkins1983 said:

Were Palmer and O’dowda really the subs to make in the closing stages of the game? 
surely Pring and Bakinson would be better to close the game out? Just seemed like strange subs to me. 

Yes now that is a good point. Mind attack best way to defend tactic. 

2 minutes ago, watkins1983 said:

Were Palmer and O’dowda really the subs to make in the closing stages of the game? 
surely Pring and Bakinson would be better to close the game out? Just seemed like strange subs to me. 

Well said. He could have gone with stability but chose 2 players that were a huge gamble and nobody knows how they are going to turn up. Nice to see O’Dowda still robbing a living though incase people forgot

So far in the league this year (four, all at home):

• Lavery (Blackpool 90+3)

• Hylton (Luton 90+1)

• Taylor (Forest 90+1, 90+2)

When will the penny drop that many of the players we have simply aren’t up to the job. We’ve signed Atkinson and Tanner, the types we need to go for. But for every one of those we’re hamstrung by the likes of COD, Bakinson, Vyner, Moore, Palmer and possibly Wells who simply aren’t adding anything in any scenario. It’s infuriating and it will take time to sort. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tin said:

So far in the league this year (four, all at home):

• Lavery (Blackpool 90+3)

• Hylton (Luton 90+1)

• Taylor (Forest 90+1, 90+2)

When will the penny drop that many of the players we have simply aren’t up to the job. We’ve signed Atkinson and Tanner, the types we need to go for. But for every one of those we’re hamstrung by the likes of COD, Bakinson, Vyner, Moore, Palmer and possibly Wells who simply aren’t adding anything in any scenario. It’s infuriating and it will take time to sort. 

Thought Wells was one of the better players on show tonight 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bs22 red said:

He was, but I’m looking at the bigger picture in terms of what he’s done in his time here. Not singling him out at all, hence the “possibly Wells”. Has he returned ROI? No, although there are mitigating circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, bs22 red said:

Wells played well tonight and looked pissed off about being subbed. Tanner was excellent as was Baker and Kalas for the 90.

We dropped deeper and deeper and let them beat us on the wings despite at one stage going 541/451. Our midfield carried no threat once Scott was subbed off and we had no ability to retain possession for 90 minutes. 

Of all the **** ups at home that was the biggest kick in the balls. Soft little Bristol City yet again F F S!

8 hours ago, watkins1983 said:

If it had been Pring and Bakinson on and the same events occurred people would be saying they were too negative substitutions to make.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, watkins1983 said:

They were embarrassing when they came on.

Both need to go.

Nowhere near the every levels needed.

Nigel has said before that he doesn't believe there is a psychological problem at home but let's face it if we are ahead late in a game we fans tend to get anxious so why wouldn't the players?

Everybody expects us to throw it away so inevitably we do. It's a self -fulfilling prophesy.

No idea what the solution is though not sitting back and inviting the opposition on to us might help 

Here’s the stats

Points dropped / gained due to late goals (in the last fifteen minutes of games) last season

Away to Barnsley - 2 points

Home to Swansea +1 point

Away to Bournemouth - 1

Away to Huddersfield + 2

Home to Derby + 2

Away to Reading -1

Home to Birmingham -1

Home to Blackburn + 2

Home to Wycombe + 2

Home to Portsmouth next round of the FA cup

Away to Swansea + 2

Home to Bournemouth -1

Away to Sheffield Wednesday +1

Away to Wycombe - 1

Overall + 5 points

This season so far

Home to Blackpool - 2 points

Away to Forest Green Rovers - meaning a penalty shoot out which we lost 6-5

Home to Luton - 2 points

Away to QPR + 2 points

Home to Fulham + 1 point

Away at Peterborough + 2 points

Home to Forest - 3 points

Overall - 2

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2021 at 22:53, Daniro said:

For me, conceding or scoring goals in the closing minutes of the first or second half is very often a question of mentality.  

I seem to remember in our play off season under Gary Johnson, we often scored right at the close.

It seems to me that nowadays and for quite a few seasons recently we are the ones who concede.    Any team with any sense knows to attack us because we seem unable to "game manage".    

With a boss as experienced as Nige, I am really shocked that today we were torn apart in injury time.  It's a disgrace.   We have plenty of seasoned pros in the team who must know about game management.

Does anyone  know how to run  the stats on our record for conceding / scoring in, say  the last 5 minutes of either first or second halves?  I think it would tell us a lot about the psychology of our team.

Just reminding myself of what I thought a few weeks back ?

On 19/10/2021 at 22:59, Super said:

If only we had a manager on the touchline who could try and bark orders and organise.

If only we had leaders on the pitch with ******* bollocks. We can blame the manager all we like but a £20k per week player who heads a ******* free header downwards to the edge of the box, nobody on the edge closing it down and a keeper getting beat by a daisy cutter that took 13 minutes to roll into the net has got **** all to do with coaching.

The laughable thing is a team of Toolstation League players would at least know how to see the game out for a point but we’ve got lads like Massengo who has played at this level for what, 3 seasons now and can’t even stay awake to track a runner. Tell me what the **** coaching had to do with that? They’ve been coached that from age 7.

• Flames 3

It's all because we cannot keep hold of the ball. Our possession if awful. So we have to expend vast amounts of energy running around trying to close the opposition down.

By the time the game gets halfway through the second half, our players are blowing out their arses.

By the time we get to time added on, we have absolutely naff all to give.

• Like 1

I would bet my life savings that the dressing room was like a morgue afterwards. I bet no ****** had the balls to tear into Vyner, Kalas, Bentley and Massengo who all lost us that game because they weren’t switched on. You can talk about coaching, systems and stats but sometimes it’s leadership and bollocks that’s needed and today that was totally lacking. Good players don’t need an old bloke with a tracksuit on to motivate them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would bet my life savings that the dressing room was like a morgue afterwards. I bet no ****** had the balls to tear into Vyner, Kalas, Bentley and Massengo who all lost us that game because they weren’t switched on. You can talk about coaching, systems and stats but sometimes it’s leadership and bollocks that’s needed and today that was totally lacking. Good players don’t need an old bloke with a tracksuit on to motivate them.

I hope there was a right barny in there, and come Monday, there are a lot of players looking sheepishly at each other knowing they’ve not met the levels.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I hope there was a right barny in there, and come Monday, there are a lot of players looking sheepishly at each other knowing they’ve not met the levels.

I’m sure many of us have been in dressing rooms where that load of crap today would have resulted in players squaring up to each other. I don’t see that happening with our bunch of softies. Today was about a collective being soft as shit and that has to be a huge concern. You want to believe today will be a watershed moment and we will see a reaction but I wouldn’t bank on that.

• Like 2