IGNORED

Is O'Dowda the answer to our striker problems?

dREDful

No. Course not FFS. 

A knackered Wells was so much more useful as a focal point than COD. Could see the equaliser coming a mile off once that happened. Ball just kept coming back. 

EDIT - because this is going over some heads. I don't believe COD made the tactical decision, so I don't blame him for the stupidity. 

Edited by dREDful
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, dREDful said:

No. Course not FFS. 

A knackered Wells was so much more useful as a focal point than COD. Could see the equaliser coming a mile off once that happened. Ball just kept coming back. 

Totally agree and he’s still robbing a living but I’m sure we will all see a video on Instagram tomorrow of him doing something world class for 5 seconds to put him on the bench for next week but we will all never see him actually produce it In a match. Please get rid ASAP 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dREDful said:

No. Course not FFS. 

Nope, but on soggy pitch with tired defenders, O’Dowda running at pace with balls over the top and down channels made perfect sense, Wells was knackered. Our problem was they looked for O’Dowda as the target man to win and hold up rather than chase down..

not defending the player, but the idea made sense with the alternatives they had.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 3

Sorry, should state I'm not having a pop at COD for this. It wasn't his mental idea to make this tactical blunder. 

2 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Odowda was not at fault for the last few mminutes of madness. I agree i think he should be moved on but to blame him for the defeat is a little harsh.

Just now, firstdivision said:

Not only harsh, it’s utterly ridiculous. 

See above. 

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Nope, but on soggy pitch with tired defenders, O’Dowda running at pace with balls over the top and down channels made perfect sense, Wells was knackered. Our problem was they looked for O’Dowda as the target man to win and hold up rather than chase down..

not defending the player, but the idea made sense with the alternatives they had.

It made absolutely no ******* sense.

What would have made sense would have been for Captain Dan to realise his constant lumping it down the middle wasn’t working and to have tried something different.

But oh no. If at first you don’t succeed then just keep trying it. Again and again…..

Christ if it didn’t work with Martin on the pitch it sure as hell wasn’t going to work with him off it…

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Sigh. Yes instead of retaining possession we pumped long high aimless balls for ODowda to jump for rather than long high aimless balls for Odwda to chase into the corners..

We did one or both because we could not string three passes together anywhere on the pitch in front of the defence. WE looked leggy, because as someone said on radio Brizz we were chasing out of possession the entire game and they were all knackered by 70minutes. AS PER USUAL AT HOME!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

It made absolutely no ******* sense.

What would have made sense would have been for Captain Dan to realise his constant lumping it down the middle wasn’t working and to have tried something different.

But oh no. If at first you don’t succeed then just keep trying it. Again and again…..

Christ if it didn’t work with Martin on the pitch it sure as hell wasn’t going to work with him off it…

Right so trying to get pace on the pitch was a bad idea? Agreed that lumping the ball at him was not going to work, but getting him running into the corners as an outlet surely makes sense, especially against tired defenders even if only to stretch the pitch out a bit, I’d argue that this was the best option with what was on the bench, just a poorly executed.

Especially when the remaining bench options were Simpson, Pring and Bakinson.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Right so trying to get pace on the pitch was a bad idea? Agreed that lumping the ball at him was not going to work, but getting him running into the corners as an outlet surely makes sense, especially against tired defenders even if only to stretch the pitch out a bit, I’d argue that this was the best option with what was on the bench, just a poorly executed.

We knocked it into the corners for him twice and he was flat footed and staring the ball passing him. 

Again, not on him. It's on the manager. He shouldn't be asked to the job he was asked to at such an important time. 

Just now, Feral Williams said:

No but him being a suitable replacement for Wells is debatable when his contribution is largely total pish 

i agree with that but there's only one man that choose to do that and that is big nige.as much as i want big nige to succeed i am starting to worry about some of his tactics and for me cod should be nowhere near this side

• Like 2

Just now, dREDful said:

We knocked it into the corners for him twice and he was flat footed and staring the ball passing him. 

Again, not on him. It's on the manager. He shouldn't be asked to the job he was asked to at such an important time. 

But what options did Pearson have, Bakinson - worse than O’Dowda, and two full backs at a time where we needed to have the ball at the other end of the pitch… I don’t think O’Dowda is the answer to many questions as a rule, but he was the best answer to the one of Wells going off knackered, with the options available on the bench at the time…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

But what options did Pearson have, Bakinson - worse than O’Dowda, and two full backs at a time where we needed to have the ball at the other end of the pitch… I don’t think O’Dowda is the answer to many questions as a rule, but he was the best answer to the one of Wells going off knackered, with the options available on the bench at the time…

Bell and Janneh were with the team but didn’t make the squad, Bell the extra sub Incase of injury I believe as well.

Edited by Lrrr

25 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

The ball came back pretty much all second half. At least, it did in the game I was watching.

The only way they’re going to solve that is with the chequebook or from proceeds from selling Bentley or Kalas. None of the front three tonight can hold the ball up, we’ve never replaced Wilbraham.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Bell and Janneh were with the team but didn’t make the squad, Bell the extra sub Incase of injury I believe as well.

You could make a case for Janneh over O’Dowda right now, but wether they’ve gone for experience over rawness or by what they’ve seen in training, we won’t know. Janneh is a good shout though…

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I was talking generally.  

Pearson is slowly making changes, but we have assembled some crap, as you've somewhat alluded to.

Agreed, that was the only question where O’Dowda is a positive answer. I’m not sure he’s done anything else of note since that Norwich goal. 

Time to see what Janneh can do….

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, richyy66 said:

Odowda was not at fault for the last few mminutes of madness. I agree i think he should be moved on but to blame him for the defeat is a little harsh.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

55 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Not only harsh, it’s utterly ridiculous. 

Yep, not his fault tonight at all.

Wells knackered.

Someone on another post said Bakinson should’ve been brought on to see out the game….jeez.

Its always easy to blame the subs when points are dropped.  With the options available:

• Massengo on for a tired Martin made sense, swapping Weimann to play upfront.
  • Scott, tiring, on a yellow (desperate not to trip their player bursting beyond him) needed taking off.  Bakinson or Palmer?  Palmer for me, he tackles, doesn’t stroll around.
  • Wells tired, put in a great shift tonight, who else?  O’Dowda for his legs…had logic.

The problem with tonight was more the shape in reaction to Forest’s changes than the personnel per se.

I think the answer to our striking problems is a player we don’t have. A Diedhiou type player would have given the defence some protection and given them something to worry about.

We don’t have too many players who give the opposition any concern. It’s too easy to come here and dominate. That has to be addressed.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Yep, not his fault tonight at all.

Wells knackered.

Someone on another post said Bakinson should’ve been brought on to see out the game….jeez.

Its always easy to blame the subs when points are dropped.  With the options available:

• Massengo on for a tired Martin made sense, swapping Weimann to play upfront.
  • Scott, tiring, on a yellow (desperate not to trip their player bursting beyond him) needed taking off.  Bakinson or Palmer?  Palmer for me, he tackles, doesn’t stroll around.
  • Wells tired, put in a great shift tonight, who else?  O’Dowda for his legs…had logic.

The problem with tonight was more the shape in reaction to Forest’s changes than the personnel per se.

Funny how none of our opposition players ever look " tired " though.