IGNORED

I actually feel sorry for NP

KeepUpLino

While I agree with the sentiment, There was no need to make the changes he did last night. Swansea were absolute dog sh!!e against us but managed to see the game out by keeping the ball for long periods of time in the last few minutes. We can not do that cos we panic and thats on the manager.

2 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

It’s was absolute suicide for him taking this job and I’m amazed he even bothered, let’s face it we’d be lucky to get anyone with any calibre to replace him!

The mess left by LJ and MA and overseen by SL is nothing short of a disgrace, no money, no prospects, league 1’s a certainty and it’s not the fault of the manager!

Agreed - other than the "league 1's a certainty" bit. I'd say a relegation struggle is a certainty instead.

2 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

While I agree with the sentiment, There was no need to make the changes he did last night. Swansea were absolute dog sh!!e against us but managed to see the game out by keeping the ball for long periods of time in the last few minutes. We can not do that cos we panic and thats on the manager.

That's not on the manager at all - it's on the players. They're the ones who lost the plot last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's not on the manager at all - it's on the players. They're the ones who lost the plot last night.

I disagree. He picks them, he picks the style of play, he trains them and he makes the subs. Thats on him. 

2 minutes ago, Herta said:

He got months to try the job before taking it permanently.

While he retains my support it’s utterly ludicrous this idea that he didn’t know what he was getting into and feeling sorry for him is just weird. 

Agree on the feeling sorry for him bit but the emotional minority wanting him out need to be careful what they wish for. No money, low q squad, three year rebuild, what Manager worth his salt comes anywhere near us? You are literally looking at the Mike Flynn’s of this world AT BEST.

The underlying cause of all the shit we are experiencing right now is an Owner who had blind faith in Swiss ******* Tony. All we can do is suck it up and hope that the improvements we have seen since last seasons car crash (we are competitive with last Saturday an obvious exception) lead to further improvements and a lower mid to mid table finish.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

Is it?

The players have no technical ability. That comes with development coaching as youngsters. We've panicked on the ball for three years under three managers. The only constant in that is the squad.

Not much you can do to improve the link up play of 30 year olds who simply don't have the composure to play possession football.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

I disagree. He picks them, he picks the style of play, he trains them and he makes the subs. Thats on him. 

You're right, he does pick them, and the style of play. Doesn't mean they always do what they're supposed to, under pressure, though does it?

I'll meet you half way and agree the subs might have been better utilised last night but he wasn't exactly spoilt for choice. I don't suppose he expected Palmer and O'Dowda to basically disappear once he'd put them on. 

I reckon he doesn't rate about 50% of our squad - they wouldn't be here if he had a blank piece of paper and could write down 18 names of his choosing for a matchday squad.

That's a situation he's inherited, albeit one he walked into with his eyes open.

So he's basically training and picking a lot of players that no matter how much instruction you give them, don't implement those instructions consistently.

Guess what, Johnson and Holden had the same problem too! So if 3 different managers have come to the same conclusion, I reckon the problem might be with the players, not the bloke training and picking them - although the bloke(s) who thought it was a good idea to buy them in the first place might well be culpable too.

If you gave Pearson that blank piece of paper, let's say it had 2 columns on it one headed Keep and the other Bin, how many of the current squad do you think would be in the Keep column?

I've no idea how old you are, so if you're a young un, I'm asking which players do you think Pearson would "swipe Right" for?        

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Is it?

I think you have a short memory in the relative history of the club.

Being an established championship club is no disgrace.

But he's talking about the mess - not the fact we've been a Championship club for 6 years.

In the wider historical context, that is good going for us but the current mess is a disgrace. And whatsmore, it's putting that status as an "established Championship club" under dire stress.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Is it?

The players have no technical ability. That comes with development coaching as youngsters. We've panicked on the ball for three years under three managers. The only constant in that is the squad.

Not much you can do to improve the link up play of 30 year olds who simply don't have the composure to play possession football.

I'm with you. Lack of composure in match situations is on the players. You can bet your bottom dollar that in training they aren't showing the same lack of composure. No coach tells his players to panic. It makes me laugh that people think the players were told to allow Forest to batter us for the first 10 minutes of the second half. Why would any Manager do that when we've barely kept a clean sheet all season.

We have a very mediocre squad overall and it's on Nige to get the best out of them. Given that the almost unanimous view on here pre-season was we would be in a relegation battle I would say 16 points so far is an acceptable return overall even if the "where" we've got these points grates a bit with too many Home fans leaving the Gate pissed off every game. Of course, you also get complete and utter cock's (I won't name the idiot) talking about "Happy Clappers" when we all know there was nobody either clapping or happy at 9:45pm last night and they just don't and won't understand the position we are in. None so blind as those who will not see. There will be more "Peterborough's" and more "Forest's" this season, hopefully not too many "Bournemouth's".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

It’s was absolute suicide for him taking this job and I’m amazed he even bothered, let’s face it we’d be lucky to get anyone with any calibre to replace him!

The mess left by LJ and MA and overseen by SL is nothing short of a disgrace, no money, no prospects, league 1’s a certainty and it’s not the fault of the manager!

Yrs he took a difficult job, yes the entire club had a bad working system, yes the playing staff was not good enough. 

But suicidal, why ?

It is the job and u sure he will succeed. But it's a 5 year job not 3

20 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Is it?

Sure, but I think the picture and problem is bigger than that. We're in the champ because of SL which I see as a good and a bad thing, we have potential but never reach it but we're also afloat in the champ. 

42 minutes ago, Herta said:

He got months to try the job before taking it permanently.

While he retains my support it’s utterly ludicrous this idea that he didn’t know what he was getting into and feeling sorry for him is just weird. 

He confirmed this himself a few times in the weeks following his appointment.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But he's talking about the mess - not the fact we've been a Championship club for 6 years.

In the wider historical context, that is good going for us but the current mess is a disgrace. And whatsmore, it's putting that status as an "established Championship club" under dire stress.  

Things are so complicated with us. We have an Owner whose heart and even more importantly money is clearly in the right place but he just doesn't have a football brain of any kind. He never even used to follow football as a kid and doesn't it ever show at times. We have Grade A facilities, that's on Steve and a totally mismanaged club with a collection of mediocre players to go with it, that's also on Steve unfortunately. The worst thing that ever happened to this football club was the mantra of "clubs in the bag" spouted by Gary Johnson all those years ago because that's all we've collected ever since. Shall we sign quality players on high wages? "**** that, lets get a few more clubs in the bag for the price of one good player".

A manager who has been around the block comes in and immediately says he wants a tighter squad, he doesn't want his Golf bag so heavy with ******* clubs that you need a forklift to carry the bastard. The problem is the tighter squad he wants just happened to coincide with Swiss Tony and Lee Johnson having spent more money on players than any other individuals in the club's history and now, financially, we are bollocksed. So we don't have a tighter squad higher on quality, we have one of the same LACK of quality as we've always had. This is the same Swiss Tony that the Owner clearly stated was a great bloke and totally misunderstood by fans..........who got that one right? 

If Steve Lansdown was a fat cockney who can down a pint of lager in one (no names) he would have been hounded out years ago. I actually think his current policy of "leave it to Nige for the next three years and stay well out of it" will, if we give Pearson the time, be the right strategy. What I do know is that if he interferes again and we end up with a Mike Flynn/Michael Appleton in charge then I might replace season ticket every season since I stopped playing football with pick and choose. Been there too many times before. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Is it?

Issue is the mess has put this at risk.

This squad is not mid-table with regards to quality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yrs he took a difficult job, yes the entire club had a bad working system, yes the playing staff was not good enough. 

But suicidal, why ?

It is the job and u sure he will succeed. But it's a 5 year job not 3

To be fair that's a poster on OTIB saying that not Pearson himself. He comes across to me as knowing exactly what he's got himself into and IF (big if obviously) he gets it right this job could well rank up there amongst his greatest achievements, in fact it would be full stop given where he is starting from. I think that's how he sees it - we aren't a club for the faint hearted, that's for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

Virtually every new manager inherits a "mess"

Not the mess that we were though. I know you don't rate the guy but you surely have to accept that he inherited a complete and utter car crash situation. It wasn't about lack of confidence and the usual shit, we had horrific injuries, demotivated soon to be out of contract players (caused by Teflon), ******* hiding in the HPC rather than getting out there training etc. etc. I've been supporting this club 45 years and I've never seen anything even remotely like it tbh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not the mess that we were though. I know you don't rate the guy but you surely have to accept that he inherited a complete and utter car crash situation. It wasn't about lack of confidence and the usual shit, we had horrific injuries, demotivated soon to be out of contract players (caused by Teflon), ******* hiding in the HPC rather than getting out there training etc. etc. I've been supporting this club 45 years and I've never seen anything even remotely like it tbh.

Fair comment but  we should have improved, even with the players we had and also have brought in.

IMO.

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Things are so complicated with us. We have an Owner whose heart and even more importantly money is clearly in the right place but he just doesn't have a football brain of any kind. He never even used to follow football as a kid and doesn't it ever show at times. We have Grade A facilities, that's on Steve and a totally mismanaged club with a collection of mediocre players to go with it, that's also on Steve unfortunately. The worst thing that ever happened to this football club was the mantra of "clubs in the bag" spouted by Gary Johnson all those years ago because that's all we've collected ever since. Shall we sign quality players on high wages? "**** that, lets get a few more clubs in the bag for the price of one good player".

A manager who has been around the block comes in and immediately says he wants a tighter squad, he doesn't want his Golf bag so heavy with ******* clubs that you need a forklift to carry the bastard. The problem is the tighter squad he wants just happened to coincide with Swiss Tony and Lee Johnson having spent more money on players than any other individuals in the club's history and now, financially, we are bollocksed. So we don't have a tighter squad higher on quality, we have one of the same LACK of quality as we've always had. This is the same Swiss Tony that the Owner clearly stated was a great bloke and totally misunderstood by fans..........who got that one right? 

If Steve Lansdown was a fat cockney who can down a pint of lager in one (no names) he would have been hounded out years ago. I actually think his current policy of "leave it to Nige for the next three years and stay well out of it" will, if we give Pearson the time, be the right strategy. What I do know is that if he interferes again and we end up with a Mike Flynn/Michael Appleton in charge then I might replace season ticket every season since I stopped playing football with pick and choose. Been there too many times before. 

Agree 100% with all that. I'm ahead of you on one thing, though - the season ticket's been exchanged for picking and choosing already ☹️ but if Pearson gets enough time, I fully expect that to change.  

Loving the Swiss Tony thing btw!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KeepUpLino said:

Nice one.  I assume that was tongue in cheek.  All those pesky players not doing what the manager tells them, eh?