IGNORED

Pearson: “everyone needs to be on the bus and we can’t afford any passengers.”

LondonBristolian

He has no choice.

We were left with a squad that is inadequate whilst Uncle Steve realised his favourite nephew Mark had emptied the piggy bank.

It’s a perfect storm.

Our lack of options up front coupled with a midfield who are to slow too transition into attack, is the problem.

Our defence actually looks alright, with Tanner and Atkinson looking like just the right additions.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I noticed he said our home form is almost embarrassing now….

Nige with respect, it’s been embarrassing for as long as I can remember. Long before you…

Its seasons long now ?

Edited by 054123
  • Like 9

Bristol City FC is a poison chalice for any manager currently. Badly run for years. All been said on here many times.
As stated in the thread above, Ashton & co emptied the piggy bank. There is nothing left to spend. There are players that need to be sold ASAP but noone wants to buy them. I was slated for saying it after the 1st game but this is a relegation fight all season.
Barnsley home game is looking like a key game to me.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Bristol City FC is a poison chalice for any manager currently. Badly run for years. All been said on here many times.
As stated in the thread above, Ashton & co emptied the piggy bank. There is nothing left to spend. There are players that need to be sold ASAP but noone wants to buy them. I was slated for saying it after the 1st game but this is a relegation fight all season.
Barnsley home game is looking like a key game to me.

Which is why I still think Pearson is the best option to bring in, he’s been there before, and you get the impression is not afraid to point out the problems before him. It’s clear that the entire football side of the club needed change, and that’s never going to be an overnight success, and I suspect the benevolent owner may not have liked some of the things he’s been told, but you get the impression he’s prepared to listen.

I genuinely don’t believe that we’re about to enter a relegation fight, and I do believe we’ll eventually win at home this season, but we’re going to have to score 2 or more to guarantee it.

still bloody annoyed about last night though even after a night to sleep on it….

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I noticed he said our home form is almost embarrassing now….

Nige with respect, it’s been embarrassing for as long as I can remember. Long before you…

The commentator on the Sky red button said as much, that it wasn't just this season and last but has been going on practically since the rebuild.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 054123 said:

He has no choice.

We were left with a squad that is inadequate whilst Uncle Steve realised his favourite nephew Mark had emptied the piggy bank.

It’s a perfect storm.

Our lack of options up front coupled with a midfield who are to slow too transition into attack, is the problem.

Our defence actually looks alright, with Tanner and Atkinson looking like just the right additions.

Its seasons long now ?

So why didn’t he do more about it in the summer then?  Everyone can see we needed a replacement for Diedhiou.  Are people saying there was no one out there?  He’s the manager, he needs to be managing us out of this situation, not just blaming his players.  At the moment, he looks like he’s forgotten how to drive the bus.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The commentator on the Sky red button said as much, that it wasn't just this season and last but has been going on practically since the rebuild.

But it’s getting worse and worse under Pearson…

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 1

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So why didn’t he do more about it in the summer then?  Everyone can see we needed a replacement for Diedhiou.  Are people saying there was no one out there?  He’s the manager, he needs to be managing us out of this situation, not just blaming his players.  At the moment, he looks like he’s forgotten who to drive the bus.

If the papers are to be believed, we were being quoted £1 million for a Martin-standard striker from Rotherham. I have no doubt strikers were out there but we have proven several times in the past how easy it is to sign a player for the sake of a signing who does not then improve the squad. We need to move on some of those signings before we have got space to shape the squad to where it needs to get.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So why didn’t he do more about it in the summer then?  Everyone can see we needed a replacement for Diedhiou.  Are people saying there was no one out there?  He’s the manager, he needs to be managing us out of this situation, not just blaming his players.  At the moment, he looks like he’s forgotten who to drive the bus.

But it’s getting worse and worse under Pearson…

I don’t disagree that signing a striker was paramount and it’s a mistake not too.

I honestly don’t know what money there was, but any of the FFP expert on here will tell you we are pretty screwed. 

We bought in Tanner and Atkinson and have tried to be be strong at the back first and in fairness we’ve been quite solid. These two acquisitions look good at present and tick almost all of the boxes.

Ultimately if there is no money then who is the striker we bring in?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

If the papers are to be believed, we were being quoted £1 million for a Martin-standard striker from Rotherham. I have no doubt strikers were out there but we have proven several times in the past how easy it is to sign a player for the sake of a signing who does not then improve the squad. We need to move on some of those signings before we have got space to shape the squad to where it needs to get.

So why not work on Louis Britton and bring him up to Championship level fitness.  One substitute appearance (and one goal) in the final match of last season, but now we’re led to believe he’s not fit enough.  Well whose fault is that?

And no young Premier League strikers we could have brought in on loan?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, 054123 said:

I don’t disagree that signing a striker was paramount and it’s a mistake not too.

I honestly don’t know what money there was, but any of the FFP expert on here will tell you we are pretty screwed. 

We bought in Tanner and Atkinson and have tried to be be strong at the back first and in fairness we’ve been quite solid. These two acquisitions look good at present and tick almost all of the boxes.

Ultimately if there is no money then who is the striker we bring in?

Problem is the players he has bought in so far who you would imagine would be on decent wages, King and Simpson are not having the effect we wanted. James I’m currently ok With but when we have such limited budget in hindsight we’re those signings wise?

• Like 1

Not in favour of managerial change but understand the question marks.   I think the Simpson and King recruits were mistakes but they are on one year contracts and young recruits like Tanner and Atkinson have been good.

The issue for me though is our inability to keep the ball.  I lost count of the amount of times players, such as Massengo, with the obvious ability to pass to his own teammate, regularly lost possession or passed into space where only the opposition were ever going to pick it up.  Is that down to our coaching team,  the manager and the way the team are set up or is it down to the calibre of players?  I'd love to see the stats for the times we lost possession after Bentley boots it upfield - it was probably 80% plus and that tactic surely has to be an instruction.

The positive points going forward are young players like Scott, Tanner and Atkinson and the hope that Pearson can add more of the same with decent  midfield recruits, wide players and a clinical finisher.  Above all, we need a team that is not having to defend with desperation and minimal possession for long periods of the game. When we do that there is an air of inevitability that we will concede and we do. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Problem is the players he has bought in so far who you would imagine would be on decent wages, King and Simpson are not having the effect we wanted. James I’m currently ok With but when we have such limited budget in hindsight we’re those signings wise?

Fair points, I suppose the counter is who is the quality striker you bring on the same terms as Simpson was?

King hasn’t been bad. Agreed he’s not a ‘star’ but not a waste

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Fair points, I suppose the counter is who is the quality striker you bring on the same terms as Simpson was?

King hasn’t been bad. Agreed he’s not a ‘star’ but not a waste

I don’t think you do in this day and age, we have to be much better in the loan market and get better quality from a PL team. The quality we need is above what we will fork out for now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So why not work on Louis Britton and bring him up to Championship level fitness.  One substitute appearance (and one goal) in the final match of last season, but now we’re led to believe he’s not fit enough.  Well whose fault is that?

And no young Premier League strikers we could have brought in on loan?

In answer to your first question, I honestly don’t know. I’d like to see our young strikers more but I honestly don’t know what their form is like in training, how their fitness is or how they would do if they were playing. What I do know is that, in the past, players like Reid and Massengo have substantially upped their fitness with a regime over a number of months and they have not got their overnight. I know nothing about Britton, his lifestyle or his body type so don’t want to speculate but - speaking generally - there is only so much a club can do around an individual’s fitness and much of it is on the individual themselves.

Regarding your second question, premier league loans are not free. Clubs have to cover wages, pay a loan fee, pay a penalty fee if the player does not start etc. It could easily be more expensive than a permanent signing with no guarantee of any better result.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

In answer to your first question, I honestly don’t know. I’d like to see our young strikers more but I honestly don’t know what their form is like in training, how their fitness is or how they would do if they were playing. What I do know is that, in the past, players like Reid and Massengo have substantially upped their fitness with a regime over a number of months and they have not got their overnight. I know nothing about Britton, his lifestyle or his body type so don’t want to speculate but - speaking generally - there is only so much a club can do around an individual’s fitness and much of it is on the individual themselves.

Regarding your second question, premier league loans are not free. Clubs have to cover wages, pay a loan fee, pay a penalty fee if the player does not start etc. It could easily be more expensive than a permanent signing with no guarantee of any better result.

There is no guarantee but that’s football - personally in our current predicament I’d like to see wages being spent on a young hungry striker than an older pro sat on the bench who’s best days are behind him. 

Just now, Rob k said:

There is no guarantee but that’s football - personally in our current predicament I’d like to see wages being spent on a young hungry striker than an older pro sat on the bench who’s best days are behind him. 

Personally I’d like to see the young hungry strikers we already have on the bench a little more but I take your point. I really hope Conway plays a role once fit but I’d like to have seen Bell as an option last night as all our senior strikers were on the pitch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Nige saying stuff for the happy clappers to cling on to so they stay on side. 

Last night was his fault

I don’t think any Bristol City fan is a ‘happy clapper’ maybe people just have a differing view!

out of interest which part do you particularly blame NP for seeing we were playing a team with better players than us? Not after an argument just curious…..for clarity i didn’t go so saw highlight and this is what i saw 

- Scott missing an open goal 

- denied a penalty

- Baker with a rash challenge 

- Bentley pushing a ball straight to an attacker 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Nige saying stuff for the happy clappers to cling on to so they stay on side. 

Last night was his fault

Agree. Last night he got the subs wrong. Taking off Wells instead of Weimman was madness. Weimman had run his socks off again buy he was totally exhausted. Wells was well up for it last night. We ended up with no striker on the pitch and no outlet up top. NP to blame for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Why? 

what could he have done differently with the resources available to him last night.

NP was not the cause of Baker diving in, nor the 90 seconds of madness that followed that. 

Motivate the players.  Teach them not to constantly surrender the ball in the last thirty minutes and go back and back.  We could all see it, why not Pearson?

Baker’s tackle was reckless but the issue was that we were letting Forest have the ball and run at us all the time.  How many City supporters believed on the 85th minute, say, that we were going to win that match?  We were inviting Forest to come at us.  Baker was just the fall guy.

• Like 5

Getting boring now isn’t it. 
how many times have we heard this from Pearson. But nothing changes. 
who is he taking about this time. Bentley? Baker? Martin? Weimann? Dasilva? 
Will he be dropping any of these from the squad completely? It’s all empty threats and is boring me. 
Pearson needs to stop saying shit like this and actually start doing something about it. Like giving his players the confidence to be able to keep hold of the football and not concede oodles of possession so late in games.