IGNORED

Pearson: “everyone needs to be on the bus and we can’t afford any passengers.”

LondonBristolian

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Britton's "form" is that he scores a lot of goals and scored in the Championship when we gave him his cameo appearance. Against Brentford as well. He's 20 now. Not a child.

Benarous is 19, but he must also be wondering if he couldn't start to be introduced late in games. Gets rave reviews from those that have seen him play. 

You know what, I don't think Britton is ready for this level but he has to be in the bench for the simple reason that we don't have any other physical strikers and we need him to replace Martin for the last 20 minutes of games.

And Benayous should be in the squad ahead of Palmer every week as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

54 minutes ago, Redstart said:

The squad is thin on quality for sure, once the subs come into play it all seems to fall apart. 

But what is this sitting deep after 75 minutes all about, we were playing OK I thought and then clock hits 75mins and you couldn't see a City player anywhere near the half way line and the battering begins.

If its the players mentality causing it then that needs to be addressed, but if it is down to Pearson's tactics he needs to change them and quick cus we just can't see a game out at home. 

Their keeper almost spent the last 15 minutes 40 yards out of his goal 

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

You know what, I don't think Britton is ready for this level but he has to be in the bench for the simple reason that we don't have any other physical strikers and we need him to replace Martin for the last 20 minutes of games.

And Benayous should be in the squad ahead of Palmer every week as far as I'm concerned.

He'd be a better option than watching COD do nothing IMO.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Motivate the players.  Teach them not to constantly surrender the ball in the last thirty minutes and go back and back.  We could all see it, why not Pearson?

Baker’s tackle was reckless but the issue was that we were letting Forest have the ball and run at us all the time.  How many City supporters believed on the 85th minute, say, that we were going to win that match?  We were inviting Forest to come at us.  Baker was just the fall guy.

Walking back to the car last night I overheard a conversation and someone said "on 85 minutes I really didn't think we were going to win that match" and it occurred to me at the time that I didn't know which teams supporters were having that conversation, but it genuinely could have been either!!

Totally distracted today by the OTIB.

Pearson clearly doesn't rate the squad - so he's telling them. And also quite clearly he was furious.

Some of these players are totally out of their depth. They cannot, cannot, cannot manage a game. I accept that Pearson takes some accountability - esp. for the subs, but what do / can you do if the players don't implement the plans. 

And this disease of sitting back and inviting the opposition to attack, has been around since the 'pox at Ashton Gate. 

This is going to be a very long season. Very long. And so will the next season, as we'll only be able to bring in 4-5 more players. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, samo II said:

Looking at the subs made and subs available, it is pretty clear the pickings were slim; Simpson and Bakinson haven’t ‘shone’ their last few appearances, and Pring is still very raw.

While the subs made are not choices I like, I do think it’s a bit of a barrel scraping exercise just now: we don’t have many outside the starters who offer quality or experience.

37C8CCF7-F63C-43A1-8ABD-44DB0078BBE7.jpeg

Well, another option would have been to not make the (last two) substitutions at all?

At least with Weimann, Wells and Scott we had a bit of movement and a bit of shape that was giving us an outlet and giving Forest something to think about from time to time. We might even have got a second!

I'm not aware that injuries were a reason - players were tiring, sure, but even so??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

Nige saying stuff for the happy clappers to cling on to so they stay on side. 

Last night was his fault

Not sure I agree with that.

With the players we had available, at that stage of the game, I would have made the same subs - was not his fault and is not his fault that the squad he inherited simply is not good anough for this level imo.

Individuals just all over the place not pulling weight, i.e. Martin, Weimann (1st half), DaSilva.

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Why? 

what could he have done differently with the resources available to him last night.

NP was not the cause of Baker diving in, nor the 90 seconds of madness that followed that. 

Maybe noyhis fault, but some things were puzzling. AW was playing midfield but is an attacker. He took off Wells, who had been vaguely threatening and replaced him with COD, a midfielder up top. WhyAW didn’t move forwards and COD go into midfield was odd. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Maybe noyhis fault, but some things were puzzling. AW was playing midfield but is an attacker. He took off Wells, who had been vaguely threatening and replaced him with COD, a midfielder up top. WhyAW didn’t move forwards and COD go into midfield was odd. 

Why COD came on at all was odd. And that's not knocking COD.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Bringing in young, inexperienced strikers is risky but given Wells Martin & Weimann have consistently demonstrated they've no productive output, that's not a huge risk to take. If the youngsters prove not good enough, well, that's exactly what their predecessors were.

Great comment, the worst that could happen is relegation but can see things going that way at the moment. If we go down then at least the kids would have had half a season at championship level. A very difficult watch at the moment.

I have to admit that when you are defending a single goal lead ending up with two of our weakest players on the pitch, Palmer and O’Dowda didn’t make sense. If Wells was shagged I would honestly have rather seen Pring stuck up there and told to run around like ****, take the ball to the corner when he got the chance and sink a couple of tackles. Make no mistake the kid would at least try to do that if he was asked and would have come off the pitch blowing after his cameo. Because enough is enough, wtf does O’Dowda give us at ANY time? 1 goal in 20 says pretty much **** all to me. Similarly with Palmer who manages something one-off a few times per season but that’s it basically. They don’t run around, they don’t tackle and they aren’t good enough to be luxury players.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Well, another option would have been to not make the (last two) substitutions at all?

At least with Weimann, Wells and Scott we had a bit of movement and a bit of shape that was giving us an outlet and giving Forest something to think about from time to time. We might even have got a second!

I'm not aware that injuries were a reason - players were tiring, sure, but even so??

I’m leaning towards that view. No subs might have cost us two points but not three.

It drove me nuts that we just sat back for at least the last 20 minutes. Forest fans were commenting that they were doing the same under Hughton and it only changed with him going. Maybe it is due to them getting a few wins and more confidence. Or maybe the tone IS set by the manager. 

I really don't know the answer. Taking all your attackers off clearly adds to the siege mentality. However, you can't blame NP for that idiotic sliding tackle by Baker. Or the blatant mistakes from the ref. 

I think I will have to avoid following the WBA game as it currently isn't good for my mental health. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Regarding your second question, premier league loans are not free. Clubs have to cover wages, pay a loan fee, pay a penalty fee if the player does not start etc. It could easily be more expensive than a permanent signing with no guarantee of any better result.

...... Unless you are Reading and subject to an embargo! :grr:

• Like 1

I wonder what the hell Nige can do between today and game at WBA.  I doubt many on here believe even a draw likely.  It is the old old case of where do we see the next win come from.  It will come, but when, and will it be enough to keep our season going?

Yesterday, in despair I asked how can Nige survive this run of home defeats and draws on his watch, today I am being more positive again and thus wonder what the hell he CAN do.  He has, in truth, few options on the field.  Guess he may turn to youth as he did last season.  

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I wonder what the hell Nige can do between today and game at WBA.  I doubt many on here believe even a draw likely.  It is the old old case of where do we see the next win come from.  It will come, but when, and will it be enough to keep our season going?

Yesterday, in despair I asked how can Nige survive this run of home defeats and draws on his watch, today I am being more positive again and thus wonder what the hell he CAN do.  He has, in truth, few options on the field.  Guess he may turn to youth as he did last season.  

I'm not so worried about West Brom. Anything we get from it is a bonus but, whatever happens, it won't define our season. The issue for me is Barnsley Saturday week. We may come into that on the back of 3 defeats and, of course, our terrible home record. I really see that as a genuine must win game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Experience says that we will get a home win and are likely to follow it up with another. Last night was mental when you think about it in the cold light of day. We imploded in the craziest way possible in two minutes of injury time and yet all I read on here today are 22 year old tactical geniuses who don't even play the game telling me that the tactics were all wrong.

If you were Manager of a company in this kind of situation you don't approach it like a football "fan" would. I do hope he identifies the "Passengers" he talked about and bins them asap. With the rest of them it comes down to one thing and one thing only.......hard work.....there's no easy way out of it or magic wand he can wave. We must still remember (or at least he will as a non "Fan") that we are mid-table on 16 points. The world may have almost ended for us as fans last night and find me a fan who wasn't raging about it but he is not paid to think like that even though a minority of fans want to see him shouting and bawling at people and "gert showing some passion innit".......

• Like 4

Fundamentally it feels to me like where we were in 13/14.  We had had a series of short-term managers and had bought a lot of panic buys.  When we ultimately got relegated, the better players left leaving us with a load of deadwood.  13/14 was then just about stabilising the club after Cotterill came in and waiting for contracts to expire so we could start again (particularly Liam Fontaine).

This time we have also had the issue of COVID, putting more pressure on in terms of FFP and also making to hard to move players on.  According to Transfermarkt, the following players are OOC in the summer:

Simpson, Martin, King, COD, Bakinson, Wiles-Richards

I would expect Bakinson, Simpson and COD to go. King and Martin might get 1 years extensions.  The challenge will be offloading Wells and Palmer who aren't OOC until Jun 23

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Totally distracted today by the OTIB.

Pearson clearly doesn't rate the squad - so he's telling them. And also quite clearly he was furious.

Some of these players are totally out of their depth. They cannot, cannot, cannot manage a game. I accept that Pearson takes some accountability - esp. for the subs, but what do / can you do if the players don't implement the plans. 

And this disease of sitting back and inviting the opposition to attack, has been around since the 'pox at Ashton Gate. 

This is going to be a very long season. Very long. And so will the next season, as we'll only be able to bring in 4-5 more players. 

No problem with that if you are well drilled and drop in to two banks of four, shut off the passing lanes and press like dogs, to protect a lead. What we do is a million miles from that.

The worse crime for me is the constant pumping the ball upfield ,when we do win it, and it comes straight back at us, as more pressure.

• Like 2

All very well saying X , Y , Z will go. 

A few things to consider ;
They are under contract.
There isn't a lot of money around.
There hasn't been much value in the market.
January is a difficult time to buy or sell.
We have a small squad so can't just offload.
We are not cash rich, So can't just buy as and when.

So we will rely on someone buying our players, and if we want rid it will be a buyers market. That means we won't get top money, which leads to difficulty buying to replace. You always want better than you get rid of, that's the only way it makes sense, so any money in would need adding to to improve on player sold.
I don't see much movement in Jan, I would hope Nige is calling all his mates to find loans. The only real assets we have, we won't want to sell and the ones we don't want won't fetch much. 

I think we are stuck with this squad until the summer, then I'll be worried about losing the likes of Masengo. Nige needs to work some magic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

I don't think he is keen on loans, which could make it even harder. 

Needs must though. If he wanted someone in Jan, we have very little room to manoeuvre so his hand may be forced.
He should have the connections, and I get the reticence , but we may not have any other option.

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

I get this.

In six months there should be a tangible improvement in fitness levels. Britton, may have started under Nige massively unfit (why, academy coaches?). He should now at least be capable of sustaining 10 minutes of Championship level football. 

So, there should have been a choice between putting CoD on or Britton off the bench for the last 10. Not a difficult one is it, particularly when you constantly play the ‘hit and hope’ high balls. …although that’s another debate. 

Why the hell we didn’t tap into the loan market or just get someone out of contract for free is beyond me. Martin is being flogged to a standstill, literally. If Nige is playing the ‘high ball, hold it up’ game then you need a second big bloke up front to alternate with Martin. 

Absolutely. If you are taking Wells off and in a game where the ball is not sticking, put someone like Britton on. Can do no worse.