IGNORED

Pearson: “everyone needs to be on the bus and we can’t afford any passengers.”

LondonBristolian

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Totally, we are going nowhere fast with our low possession football. I assume, but do not know, the plan is to improve it when we have the players . (HNM/Williams/James on the same pitch will help, but our forwards are particularly poor at retaining possession ). Having such low possession at home is also a major factor in our results. 

Lots of work to be done. 

Chris Martin never gave us anything in terms of retaining possession last night...........absolutely nothing. This is what the people who want our Nige to be on the touchline "barking a few orders" like that is some magic formula they managed to think of but Nige hasn't are not grasping..........you can bark the **** out of yourself but if your Centre Forward cannot keep hold of the ball after you have been under pressure or at least do enough with his body to get kicked/pushed and earn a free kick the thing will keep coming back, your defensive players will be running around like mad dogs to plug gaps and get the ball back and then when it does arrive at their feet after they have just spent the last five minutes running like mad dogs guess what happens more often than not? The movement isn't there, the quality is missing on the pass and off we go again.

That is how Forest had a solid 10 minute spell at the start of the second half and yet we've got whoppers on here who thought it was tactical orders from the staff.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Chris Martin never gave us anything in terms of retaining possession last night...........absolutely nothing. This is what the people who want our Nige to be on the touchline "barking a few orders" like that is some magic formula they managed to think of but Nige hasn't are not grasping..........you can bark the **** out of yourself but if your Centre Forward cannot keep hold of the ball after you have been under pressure or at least do enough with his body to get kicked/pushed and earn a free kick the thing will keep coming back, your defensive players will be running around like mad dogs to plug gaps and get the ball back and then when it does arrive at their feet after they have just spent the last five minutes running like mad dogs guess what happens more often than not? The movement isn't there, the quality is missing on the pass and off we go again.

That is how Forest had a solid 10 minute spell at the start of the second half and yet we've got whoppers on here who thought it was tactical orders from the staff.

Why is Pearson picking him then?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Have you seen the interview where Nige discusses Louis?

He basically says he’s not fit enough.  Not fit enough to train with the first team, as it’s too intensive for him.  Therefore, he hasn’t thrown him on the scrap-heap, but stated that he’d put him on an individual plan and challenged Louis to attain the levels required.  Some of that fitness work will mean he doesn’t always play for the u23s too.  Nige admits he can have a short burst impact, but what if he needed to come on after 10 minutes….he just couldn’t last.

Those are from Nige’s mouth.

Who’s fault is it?  Looks like you’ve decided it’s Nige’s fault.  He’s dangled the carrot.  Why don’t you wait and see.

I am amazed that people who have watched literally years of Championship football cannot see how bloody brutal and intense it is to play in, especially for young kids. Have these people forgotten that Alex Scott, the best of the young bunch, who came back in last night and showed what he is going to be all about had to be taken off after HALF AN HOUR a few weeks back for his own good because the game completely passed him by and was too much for him. Playing someone who is showing themselves to be UNFIT for purpose in effect against Centre Halves like Gary Cahill is literally the stuff of ruining careers, not dreams.

Alex Scott showed last night what can be achieved when managed correctly, being taken out of the spotlight at the right time and thrown back in again a few weeks later after learning a few lessons along the way and perhaps the management of Louis Britton will yield a similar result. Setting him up to fail in a league where he will get chewed up and spat out if he isn't ready definitely won't.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This Britton stuff is hilarious, he hasn’t been starting games for the U23s yet is suddenly the answer, dream on.

Re. Britton, do you have any idea why he is not starting?

I wasn’t aware of that, but I did see he played against Watford - I have no idea whether or not he started.

Given his supposed goalscoring prowess, hampered only by his lack of technique and match fitness, I should have thought he was being pushed to get as much game time as possible.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why is Pearson picking him then?

Presumably because he feels Martin has given him enough in other recent games, certainly a lot more than he gave us last night which wouldn't be difficult to achieve. Players have bad games and Martin had a shocker last night......a stinker. I would rest him and try something different on Saturday, personally, because I see that game as a free hit. The game where we really do need to be bang at it is the one after...........

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I wasn’t aware of that, but I did see he played against Watford - I have no idea whether or not he started.

Given his supposed goalscoring prowess, hampered only by his lack of technique and match fitness, I should have thought he was being pushed to get as much game time as possible.

If he's being put on a "First Team Fitness Programme" I'm guessing some of the physical work he needs to get through at times is literally too much for him to be also starting games......even at U23 level. As you say, he did play against Watford though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Well, another option would have been to not make the (last two) substitutions at all?

At least with Weimann, Wells and Scott we had a bit of movement and a bit of shape that was giving us an outlet and giving Forest something to think about from time to time. We might even have got a second!

I'm not aware that injuries were a reason - players were tiring, sure, but even so??

I don’t disagree. As I say; weren’t players I’d have brought on, mainly as I’d not have subbed them at all.

Might be they were knackered, but one thing I would say is; a lot harder playing out of possession than with it, and when we sit back like we do, it certainly doesn’t help us keep the best players in the game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Presumably because he feels Martin has given him enough in other recent games, certainly a lot more than he gave us last night which wouldn't be difficult to achieve. Players have bad games and Martin had a shocker last night......a stinker. I would rest him and try something different on Saturday, personally, because I see that game as a free hit. The game where we really do need to be bang at it is the one after...........

I actually think that what Martin does, he does quite well, but it’s very limited.  He gets a lot of flicks on with his head, and he often occupies two defenders, but that’s about it.  By half time any threat is usually nullified because the opposition have sussed him out.  He is an honest player though, and certainly gives 100%.  However, I’m astonished that Pearson hasn’t tried a different approach, especially given the winning goal at QPR…

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I actually think that what Martin does, he does quite well, but it’s very limited.  He gets a lot of flicks on with his head, and he often occupies two defenders, but that’s about it.  By half time any threat is usually nullified because the opposition have sussed him out.  He is an honest player though, and certainly gives 100%.  However, I’m astonished that Pearson hasn’t tried a different approach, especially given the winning goal at QPR…

If you're going to give something different a go surely you do it on Saturday? The general consensus is we'll get mullered on Saturday which to me means free hit. West Brom's Centre Halves are beasts and Martin will get no joy there. Rest him for Barnsley.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Surely he only had to bark a few orders from the touchline though? 

It’s not as easy as that is it. It’s a mindset. They’re desperate for that win & they automatically drop deep to protect it . I’m sure he did tell them to get up the pitch . There were some scrambled brains out there with some strange decisions . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Good poiunt re Britton. Since he hasn't signed a new contract I guess there's little point in investring much hope of him coming through.

And I honestly think loans are not a very good way to 'strengthen' your team - short term advantage (possibly - but a risk) leading to mid/long term disadvantage.

1. He hasn’t been offered a new contract as far as I know, so nothing there to sign.
  2. we are investing in him by putting on a personal fitness programme.  Nige must think there’s something as he’s said he can make an impact.
2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If he's being put on a "First Team Fitness Programme" I'm guessing some of the physical work he needs to get through at times is literally too much for him to be also starting games......even at U23 level. As you say, he did play against Watford though.

This.  He’s started 4/7, on the bench 2 of them, one of which was the game Wells etc played.

• Like 1