IGNORED

Richard Gould

cidercity1987

He's not wrong but it still doesn't explain everything.

I would beg the question- impending 6-9 points or not, how Reading have signed the players they have under embargo- some embargo. At HT they were 2-0 up, and heading for 19 pts from the last 8 games. Some restrictions those!?

If it's all about the resources available, what about Coventry, to an extent Blackburn, QPR certainly this season to date. Luton also performing well- Blackpool above expectations on promotion so far.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He's not wrong but it still doesn't explain everything.

I would beg the question- impending 6-9 points or not, how Reading have signed the players they have under embargo- some embargo. At HT they were 2-0 up, and heading for 19 pts from the last 8 games. Some restrictions those!?

If it's all about the resources available, what about Coventry, to an extent Blackburn, QPR certainly this season to date. Luton also performing well- Blackpool above expectations on promotion so far.

It's all a bit irrelevant, there is about zero chance of any of those teams being promoted. All fighting to be the best of the rest

• Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

It's all a bit irrelevant, there is about zero chance of any of those teams being promoted. All fighting to be the best of the rest

How far back do you want to go?

There's no doubt it has got worse but time will tell- QPR winning the playoffs not possible? Or Coventry- a lot less likely I concede- if the Ricoh still a fortress and they kept it tight on the road eg.

2 of 3 being parachute clubs or going straight back up is far from healthy however.

I suppose you would have said Brentford, Leeds or Sheffield United would not have gone up- last 3 seasons.

Post Covid it is an issue but again losses attributable to Covid are excluded from FFP and then it's down to what the owner can either afford or is willing to put up to negate the shortfall.

That's not in any way to be critical of SL- that's merely me stating a fact.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

How far back do you want to go?

There's no doubt it has got worse but time will tell- QPR winning the playoffs not possible? Or Coventry- a lot less likely I concede- if the Ricoh still a fortress and they kept it tight on the road eg.

2/3 being parachute clubs or going up and down is far from healthy however.

I suppose you would have said Brentford, Leeds or Sheffield United would not have gone up- last 3 seasons.

Post Covid it is an issue but again losses attributable to Covid are excluded from FFP and then it's down to what the owner can either afford or is willing to put up to negate the shortfall.

I will concede QPR have a very outside chance of getting promoted above one of Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA as someone else said, the stars have aligned for their squad. Two more parachute clubs Stoke or Sheff U if they get a run going are the next in line though.

Brentford were building for many years, Leeds due to a unique manager and finances of a large support, Sheff Utd another special manager.

Coventry, Blackburn might look good but absolutely no chance over 46 (49 more like) games 

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I will concede QPR have a very outside chance of getting promoted above one of Fulham, Bournemouth, WBA as someone else said, the stars have aligned for their squad. Two more parachute clubs Stoke or Sheff U if they get a run going are the next in line though.

Brentford were building for many years, Leeds due to a unique manager and finances of a large support, Sheff Utd another special manager.

Coventry, Blackburn might look good but absolutely no chance over 46 (49 more like) games 

Stoke's parachute payments are now over- ended last season, ie that was their final year, however yes if stars align perhaps. Theyve had 3 years worth.

Fair on Brentford and Leeds- that all helps, their turnover was significant tbh- Wilder did great things.

Well ha I spoke too soon on Coventry, they lost tonight but yeah their away form likely will let them down. Blackburn are slipping a bit now.

Happy to see Reading lost as well- spoke too soon on them as well didn't I!

Well done Richard, it is definitely something that needs addressing ASAP.  Unfortunately it is probably not as much of a  priority with the Premier League authorities, as it should be.    They are probably far too busy finding a way to allow Despotic murdering financiers get a foothold on the gravy train?      As there is strength in numbers, i think Richard should try to create a pressure group with other like minded EFL clubs so as to get the attention this issue deserves, the more clubs that protest, and call for action the better.   Let's just hope that something can be done about this?

On 20/10/2021 at 22:14, tin said:

Sorry to be pedantic but they’re not. Bristol Live is part of Reach (formerly Trinity Mirror), the Mail belongs to DMG. Two different publishers. 

How interesting.

I was under the impression that both Bristol Live and Daily Mail were owned by Reach: it is, of course, Daily Express (and DailyMirror) that are owned by Reach. 

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Well done Richard, it is definitely something that needs addressing ASAP.  Unfortunately it is probably not as much of a  priority with the Premier League authorities, as it should be.    They are probably far too busy finding a way to allow Despotic murdering financiers get a foothold on the gravy train?      As there is strength in numbers, i think Richard should try to create a pressure group with other like minded EFL clubs so as to get the attention this issue deserves, the more clubs that protest, and call for action the better.   Let's just hope that something can be done about this?

It's already well known.

The head of the EFL last year- Rick Parry- described Parachute Payments as "an evil which needs to be eradicated!"

Trevor Birch this summer said there needs to be a new model.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/06/01/efl-chief-executive-calls-dramatic-reset-premier-league-funding/

Well it's behind a paywall but there might be ways.

He reiterated this view again after Derby went into administration.

The administrators said today that the Championship, as it’s structured, just isn’t sustainable; the way clubs reach for the Premier League, fall short and then run into trouble.

“This, in a nutshell, has been the problem. The owner has injected significant funding to the club and the reason why he’s had to do that is to be able to compete with those clubs who are in the pursuit of parachute monies; who distort the competition and almost engender this irrational behaviour that wouldn’t normally be exhibited in normal businesses.

“The disparity between the revenues of the parachute clubs and non-parachute clubs is that the only way clubs feel they can compete is to overspend. And you always have that tension between the overspending clubs and the ones run within the rules and regulations.

“That’s part of our request for the review into that financial cliff edge between the Championship and the Premier League has to be smoothed or removed.

“Our simple solution is let’s get rid of the parachute payments and pool our TV revenues, and share 25 per with the EFL which alongside some financial controls as well, will lead to what we all crave, which is financial stability for all clubs.”

A problem is that so I have read before, but haven't fully fact checked it for a while, the EFL clubs voted for the PL's FFP regs in exchange for solidarity payments.

Maybe more complex than that, but that was part of a bargain/deal I believe. That said as he also mentions in that interview, the lack of a jurisdictional bridge between the PL and EFL- despite the same regulations- means that the EFL cannot properly pursue clubs into the PL which is wrong- if the regulations are harmonised then they should be fully harmonised. The way in which they appear to be harmonised right now seems to be in favour of one party/body. Even if it's not directly the EFL, given that the regulations are basically the same then the PL should be imposing the wishes of the EFL on newly promoted clubs- if that means a soft embargo in play while there is a detailed and long investigation then that's the way it should be- if it's joined up, then it needs to be fully joined up and carry over fully.

Back on topic and it's clearly a concern of the EFL- only a truly Independent Regulator, given proper powers could solve this I reckon.

Good interview with Parry and Birch as well.

https://fcbusiness.co.uk/interviews-features/a-blueprint-for-footballs-future/

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am not worried about it. If we had parachute payments we would only end up paying even more for players who do well at other clubs and come here to be ruined.

I have to wonder, though we signed from a range of sources were we not a bit narrow in terms of recruitment when we had good financial headroom.

Pukki- I have googled- when he joined Norwich the year that their parachute payments ran out ie they were gone in 2017/18, that was the final year. According to a quick search, he joined on £25k per week- what value he has been!! Wonder why we didn't make a play for him...yes the wages aren't all that low but we would have remained comfortably within FFP and he can work incredibly hard out of possession, he has some similarities to Reid stylistically. No fee either would mean if he goes well but we don't go up, he is saleable and a profit would be realised. Weimann and Pukki anyone- as of 2018? Very good pressing from the front.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/teemu-pukki-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

How much did players such as to name a few, Klich, Norgaard, Jensen cost? I posted elsewhere but Maupay cost Brentford <£2m. Benrahma £1.53m.

Okay the midfielders weren't as cheap as I thought- Jensen £3.42m, Norgaard £3.15m and Klich- well £1.53m is pretty good for a player of his level!

Although I do find myself wondering, would they have hit the same heights here, would they have been played and consistently so in a way that maximised their ability and output- or would they have been ruined! Although I'm more than happy when fit with James, Williams, Massengo and then first reserve of King.

A good few of these had age on their side at time of signing as well. According to Transfermarkt, Joao cost £4.88m in summer 2019. 25 but soon to turn 26 then, 28 now- then approaching, current in and around peak years. Definitely more expensive than the above though.

Okay he's injured right now but he was superb last season. 19 goals and 7 assists- 35 starts, 4 sub appearances- 1 assist in 2 starts prior to injury this year and 6 goals 3 assists with 12 starts and 7 sub appearances in 2019/20.

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I am not worried about it. If we had parachute payments we would only end up paying even more for players who do well at other clubs and come here to be ruined.

Make sure the ward sister doesn't see you on the keyboard...........and don't forget to play with the sponges, as sharp objects are a No-No

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's already well known.

The head of the EFL last year- Rick Parry- described Parachute Payments as "an evil which needs to be eradicated!"

Trevor Birch this summer said there needs to be a new model.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/06/01/efl-chief-executive-calls-dramatic-reset-premier-league-funding/

Well it's behind a paywall but there might be ways.

He reiterated this view again after Derby went into administration.

A problem is that so I have read before, but haven't fully fact checked it for a while, the EFL clubs voted for the PL's FFP regs in exchange for solidarity payments.

Maybe more complex than that, but that was part of a bargain/deal I believe. That said as he also mentions in that interview, the lack of a jurisdictional bridge between the PL and EFL- despite the same regulations- means that the EFL cannot properly pursue clubs into the PL which is wrong- if the regulations are harmonised then they should be fully harmonised. The way in which they appear to be harmonised right now seems to be in favour of one party/body. Even if it's not directly the EFL, given that the regulations are basically the same then the PL should be imposing the wishes of the EFL on newly promoted clubs- if that means a soft embargo in play while there is a detailed and long investigation then that's the way it should be- if it's joined up, then it needs to be fully joined up and carry over fully.

Back on topic and it's clearly a concern of the EFL- only a truly Independent Regulator, given proper powers could solve this I reckon.

Good interview with Parry and Birch as well.

https://fcbusiness.co.uk/interviews-features/a-blueprint-for-footballs-future/

So the bottom line is.....will anything be done about it?   It just seems like a lot of hollow talk, and absolutely no action.  I can see this dragging on and on, unless someone makes a positive stance and shakes the phecking Premier League up somehow?

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

So the bottom line is.....will anything be done about it?   It just seems like a lot of hollow talk, and absolutely no action.  I can see this dragging on and on, unless someone makes a positive stance and shakes the phecking Premier League up somehow?

I think the EFL are keen to get reform in this area- I'd also like to see FFP suspicions follow a club to the PL correctly but that's another debate.

Ultimately, a lot might hinge on the Fans Governance Review that has been taking place, Tracy Crouch- that aside, the PL will do what (in their view) is right for/in the interests of the PL.

On 20/10/2021 at 16:35, Merrick&#x27;s Marvels said:

Superb effort by the Post - copy and pasting straight from another newspaper. Top work. 

Well said Richard, btw. 

It doesn’t matter that the statement is published by two newspapers. When general statements like this are issue to the press, the hope is they will be covered my as many media sources as possible. This isn’t a scoop for the Post or the Mail. 

39 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It doesn’t matter that the statement is published by two newspapers. When general statements like this are issue to the press, the hope is they will be covered my as many media sources as possible. This isn’t a scoop for the Post or the Mail. 

Interview with the MailOnline, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Indeed but the Post couldn't even be bothered writing their own article around Gould's comments, instead just saying "the Mail says this, the Mail says that". Lazy, useless waste of space - such is the state of provincial journalism these days. A sorry state of affairs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the EFL are keen to get reform in this area- I'd also like to see FFP suspicions follow a club to the PL correctly but that's another debate.

Ultimately, a lot might hinge on the Fans Governance Review that has been taking place, Tracy Crouch- that aside, the PL will do what (in their view) is right for/in the interests of the PL.

Yes that's the ongoing problem, the Premier League seems to be, to a certain extent, a law unto itself.  Everything seems to revolve around what they want, and they have such financial clout and influence that it becomes difficult to get things changed.  I think it is an unhealthy situation, which needs looking into.  I do not have sufficient knowledge about how it all functions, so i need to educate myself, regarding such things as government involvement, rules and   parameters.  The way they managed to find a suitable means of allowing Newcastle to be taken over in a extremely   dubious manner   shows just how much  money is their master?                    

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yes that's the ongoing problem, the Premier League seems to be, to a certain extent, a law unto itself.  Everything seems to revolve around what they want, and they have such financial clout and influence that it becomes difficult to get things changed.  I think it is an unhealthy situation, which needs looking into.  I do not have sufficient knowledge about how it all functions, so i need to educate myself, regarding such things as government involvement, rules and   parameters.  The way they managed to find a suitable means of allowing Newcastle to be taken over in a extremely   dubious manner   shows just how much  money is their master?                    

I believe that the Government would have been very keen on the Saudi takeover. Unsure that legally the PL could have done much to block it tbh and clubs seem to be trying to find ways to halt or delay financial doping of Newcastle.

Definitely think that the PL especially but perhaps also Football more widely need genuine external regulation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merrick&#x27;s Marvels said:

Indeed but the Post couldn't even be bothered writing their own article around Gould's comments, instead just saying "the Mail says this, the Mail says that". Lazy, useless waste of space - such is the state of provincial journalism these days. A sorry state of affairs. 

If you at all understood the situation of papers working under Reach, you’d have a little more patient with these journalists. I’d presume you’ve not bought a Bristol Post for how long. 

4 hours ago, Merrick&#x27;s Marvels said:

Not wanting to defend Bristol Live for one minute (or the Evening Post as I delivered as a school boy back in 1976), all national papers copy and paste and reference other papers original content, when compiling their own "news" story

8 hours ago, James54De said:

If you at all understood the situation of papers working under Reach, you’d have a little more patient with these journalists. I’d presume you’ve not bought a Bristol Post for how long. 

Yes indeed, if they knew how to spell or construct a sentence, I would have more patient (sic) with them. 

Presumably sub editors are a thing of the past too  

• Like 1