IGNORED

Wells , I’ll be damned

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Would’ve kept him on. Appreciate the stretching of the game / better pressing (allegedly) shouts but the guys can finish. Has a history of it. Should’ve left him on. Unless he had a niggle of course. 

He was clearly completely knackered and had to come off, shame he couldn't finish the game with his one on one chance. Played well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Think quite a few players played well, Wells included. Actually think the performance was no where near as bad as some are saying. 

As of 89 minutes, we deserved to be winning IMHO. Shame about the final 5 mins!

Of the outfield starters I’d say only Weimann and Martin were below par / poor.  I really couldn’t criticise any of the other 8 and Tanner and Baker (bar the lunge) we’re very good all night, others with decent contributions too…Wells was a threat most of the night.  Unfortunately for our squad 2 players below par is quite hard to cover.

The key last night was his movement which was a major part in the first goal and also the chance that produced a top save from Samba (people will say he should bury it but remember the opposition keeper isn't going to just stand there and let it sail past him because Bristol City are the opposition). Movement is something we are really piss poor at and so if Wells can carry on in that vein we will benefit. How both the ref and linesman missed that save was pure comedy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Similar strike rate to Fam, who I don't remember ever being called 'top quality striker'!

Both are decent Championship strikers of very different types.  Fam’s movement and lack of proactivity pissed me off.  Wells’s poor touch at times annoyed me.  But he’s always on the move.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need him with James, certainly whilst Williams is out.  I think Scott has the football intelligence to partner Wells as his no10.

Not sure I fully grasped our set up last night, but I liked what I thought it was… 3 1 2 (wide) 2 centralish) 2. Thought it gave us decent width and both wing backs did pretty well and allowed us to get forward whilst feeling reasonably secure at the back (for 90 mins at least). If the formation above is vaguely accurate I’d replace Weimann with Massengo at home, as he (AW) is pretty much a metaphor (maybe the sole cause?!?)  for our overall capabilities, very poor at home, very good away. A slightly more defensive formation probably needed when we’re playing away.

Whatever formation we play we need to get better at avoiding overloads in our final third. Mathematically we should have a numbers advantage, unless playing a very gung ho team, so need to be better at getting spare men attacking the ball, eg Tanner + AN other giving the left sided wide player more to think about. GT did well last night, but too often it was damage limitation, as exposed one on one.  Think we tend to overload empty space, possibly intentionally as some sort of zonal system, but think we’d do better to pressure the ball. 

2 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not sure I fully grasped our set up last night, but I liked what I thought it was… 3 1 2 (wide) 2 centralish) 2. Thought it gave us decent width and both wing backs did pretty well and allowed us to get forward whilst feeling reasonably secure at the back (for 90 mins at least). If the formation above is vaguely accurate I’d replace Weimann with Massengo at home, as he (AW) is pretty much a metaphor (maybe the sole cause?!?)  for our overall capabilities, very poor at home, very good away. A slightly more defensive formation probably needed when we’re playing away.

Whatever formation we play we need to get better at avoiding overloads in our final third. Mathematically we should have a numbers advantage, unless playing a very gung ho team, so need to be better at getting spare men attacking the ball, eg Tanner + AN other giving the left sided wide player more to think about. GT did well last night, but too often it was damage limitation, as exposed one on one.  Think we tend to overload empty space, possibly intentionally as some sort of zonal system, but think we’d do better to pressure the ball. 

I would’ve liked to see Atkinson at LCB and Baker central last night.  I thought Baker handled Brennan Johnson really well, and was physical with him without being reckless.  But we lose the option to carry the ball forward and create the extra man.  Kalas on the other side ventures forward a bit.  In fact we did create some decent passing moves on the right first half.

Johnson caused us problems because he was happy to drag Baker (sometimes Atkinson) short then long.  Ideally if he’d have played more in the hole, we could’ve gone to back 4.  We did get balls from the CBs into James centrally quite a bit first half which was encouraging but the early salvo second half by Forest pegged us back and we chased the ball too much.

The patterns that were forming in the opening 4-6 games have gone in the main, but we at least saw what a bit of pace (not blistering pace) and movement from Wells gave us last night.  He needs an extended run in the starting line-up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Good player, proven at this level before coming here had bagged 12-15 goals for QPR 

Another decent striker City have signed at this level starved of chances dealing with negative and small club tactics.

And the season prior to that he got 7 in 40 for QPR. His overall record suggests that at Champ level he should be getting roughly 1 in every 3.5 games. But his purple patch at QPR in the first half of 2019/20 makes people think he's a guaranteed 20 goal man. Historically he's far from that.

Since signing for us he's scored 16 goals in 71 league games - a 1 in 4.5 game record. It's not great, and is worse than his overall career record at our level, but to me it doesn't suggest criminal mismanagement or underperformance. He would only need to have scored 5 more goals to be trotting along at his par standard of 1 in 3.5. Would him having scored 5 extra goals mean we were discussing him in different terms? I doubt it.

Good game for him on Tuesday though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

And the season prior to that he got 7 in 40 for QPR. His overall record suggests that at Champ level he should be getting roughly 1 in every 3.5 games. But his purple patch at QPR in the first half of 2019/20 makes people think he's a guaranteed 20 goal man. Historically he's far from that.

Since signing for us he's scored 16 goals in 71 league games - a 1 in 4.5 game record. It's not great, and is worse than his overall career record at our level, but to me it doesn't suggest criminal mismanagement or underperformance. He would only need to have scored 5 more goals to be trotting along at his par standard of 1 in 3.5. Would him having scored 5 extra goals mean we were discussing him in different terms? I doubt it.

Good game for him on Tuesday though.

image.png.affa2494b2c0fcebace04089237f423f.png

4995 mins, 55.5 90min equivalent, so he’s at his career record of circa a goal every 3 games.

Although, don’t forget about 15 of those games were as a winger.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.affa2494b2c0fcebace04089237f423f.png

4995 mins, 55.5 90min equivalent, so he’s at his career record of circa a goal every 3 games.

Although, don’t forget about 15 of those games were as a winger.

Bloke I responded to said "proven at this level", and so I was talking Champ only i.e. "our level". Across his whole career at Champ level he's at 81 in 281 = 1 in every 3.46 games. Of those, 16 goals and 71 games are for us in the Championship = 1 in every 4.44 games. He's well off pace.

image.png.ffb56f6ceae1da677627bc52a270e680.png

On 20/10/2021 at 16:24, Major Isewater said:

Nahki Wells played very well last night I thought .

The guy gets criticised a lot but he deserves some recognition and support.

Let’s show him the love folks.

Do you think he wants a picture of my love?