IGNORED

This Squad needs…

Better Red

As we start to move towards the window in January it’s clear the squad is to light to sustain a season of championship football. 

Players coming back won’t help us this year we just don’t have any.

Williams will help as will Seyemyo but that’s it.

Not getting a few loans in the summer is costing us now and it looks a bad decision now as it did then.

We are short at least 4 to give us a chance of being not just competitive but staying up.

Left back - I don’t think we have one at the club. Prefer Pring as an option in midfield and JD is just not up to it.

Holding midfielder - James is to good and important to play that role same for Massengo they need to play further forward. Also we need to allow our fullbacks to get further forward and even dare i say overlap.

Striker - goes without saying. Last night we ended without one the pitch and that played a big part in Forest playing so far forward as not much to worry them about defending.

winger - we need someone who can carry the ball with pace and take us up the pitch and also push the opposition back. An Albert type player someone who actually has pace and can take on a fullback.

Could have written this in the summer and it’s even more obvious now so I’m not calming to be a football genius. But if most of the supporters can see it then not sure why the manager and the club can’t - I hope they do.

Palmer, Simpson, Bakinson and King add very little or nothing to the team so please move them on could also throw in COD but still need a few bodies. 

If we don’t make these signings in January loan or perm then pretty sure we are going to finish in the bottom six if not lower.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I think we are desperate for some loans in January to give our squad the right balance. 

Hopefully there are experienced players not getting gametime at other clubs that we can persuade to come here.

I want a striker with a physical presence to lighten the load piled up on Martin.

Also a defensive midfielder and a wide player.

Palmer and Bakinson can go out on loan.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think we are desperate for some loans in January to give our squad the right balance. 

Hopefully there are experienced players not getting gametime at other clubs that we can persuade to come here.

I want a striker with a physical presence to lighten the load piled up on Martin.

Also a defensive midfielder and a wide player.

Palmer and Bakinson can go out on loan.

Any midfield would be wonderful, we haven't got anything that resembles one!

31 minutes ago, Better Red said:

As we start to move towards the window in January it’s clear the squad is to light to sustain a season of championship football. 

Not getting a few loans in the summer is costing us now and it looks a bad decision now as it did then.

We are short at least 4 to give us a chance of being not just competitive but staying up.

Left back - I don’t think we have one at the club. Prefer Pring as an option in midfield and JD is just not up to it.

Holding midfielder - James is to good and important to play that role same for Massengo they need to play further forward. Also we need to allow our fullbacks to get further forward and even dare i say overlap.

Striker - goes without saying. Last night we ended without one the pitch and that played a big part in Forest playing so far forward as not much to worry them about defending.

winger - we need someone who can carry the ball with pace and take us up the pitch and also push the opposition back. An Albert type player someone who actually has pace and can take on a fullback.

Could have written this in the summer and it’s even more obvious now so I’m not calming to be a football genius. But if most of the supporters can see it then not sure why the manager and the club can’t - I hope they do.

Palmer, Simpson, Bakinson and King add very little or nothing to the team so please move them on could also throw in COD but still need a few bodies. 

If we don’t make these signings in January loan or perm then pretty sure we are going to finish in the bottom six if not lower.

You honestly think that the team currently in 13th is "At least 4 players short of having *a chance* of staying up"? 

Personally I still don't have any major worries about relegation. I'm confident that there's at least 3 teams worse than us.

IMO we should aim to avoid business in January if possible - it's a dreadful market to try and buy in. If something happens to come up then great, but chances are that we'd have to pay over the odds for what we'd want. That includes loans too, which have many associated fees that fans often forget about - they're not free. Unless things go south and we really are looking in big trouble, then I'm happy for us to hold out until next summer for signings. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

IMO we should aim to avoid business in January if possible - it's a dreadful market to try and buy in. If something happens to come up then great, but chances are that we'd have to pay over the odds for what we'd want. That includes loans too, which have many associated fees that fans often forget about - they're not free. Unless things go south and we really are looking in big trouble, then I'm happy for us to hold out until next summer for signings. 

I agree with you about the January market being dreadful and I also believe there are 3 worse teams than us. My concern though is if we actually finished just above the relegation zone it will affect the quality of the players we could attract in the summer. 

I think we really do need to get a couple of signings in the Jan window, we have to give ourselves the best chance of finishing as high up the league as we can this season, which will hopefully help us with the quality of the summer signings. 

Just now, Redstart said:

I agree with you about the January market being dreadful and I also believe there are 3 worse teams than us. My concern though is if we actually finished just above the relegation zone it will affect the quality of the players we could attract in the summer. 

I think we really do need to get a couple of signings in the Jan window, we have to give ourselves the best chance of finishing as high up the league as we can this season, which will hopefully help us with the quality of the summer signings. 

I see where you're coming from - we have become a significantly less attractive prospect in the space of the last year. That does concern/depress me too. However, money is (and will continue to be) SO tight that making a couple of signings in January may prevent us from being able to do any notable business in summer anyway.

If we were to make signings in Jan they'd almost certainly have to be Tanner types - players for very low fees who we don't expect to have an immediate impact (I appreciate Tanner's impact has come sooner than we might have expected).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

You honestly think that the team currently in 13th is "At least 4 players short of having *a chance* of staying up"? 

Personally I still don't have any major worries about relegation. I'm confident that there's at least 3 teams worse than us.

Yes very sure. We are staring a relegation fight if we don’t recruit.

Give it another 6 games and the table will show us where we are.                     I will be amazed if we are more than 3 or 4 points above the team in the last relegation place then hopefully we will all release where we are.

We are short of players in few roles which is causing problems in selections and in substitutions.

Like I said we don’t really have anyone to come back from injury so with one or two more injuries the squad looks wafer thin at best.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Posset red said:

We need a Paterson guys on fire another goal and assist 

Until he goes missing for 5 or 6 games.

His ability was never in doubt. An in form Paterson is a great player at this level.

Unfortunately an in form Paterson is also quite rare.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Posset red said:

We need a Paterson guys on fire another goal and assist 

In good form he may well be but i can guarantee he can’t/won’t keep it up. We all saw him show glimpses here of being a top class championship player but for whatever reason he cannot consistently do it. Fair play to him and Swansea if they can get consistency out of his game but i just don’t see it happening especially when he bas never done it in his career to date.

• Like 1

I think the reality is that the team that we all expected to be a lower midtable team in a season of transition has proven to be a lower midtable team in a season of transition.

We need to turn around our home form and we need Williams, Massengo and Semenyo fit. 

O'Dowda and Palmer are going nowhere unless somebody agrees to pay their wages, let alone a fee. I'm guessing Simpson and King are here as low cost cover options. Moving them on is all well and good but we'd need to replace them AND stay within budget.

I don't think anyone - either in terms of fans or the management of the club - is under any illusions about where the weaknesses of the team lie. I don't think addressing those weaknesses whilst staying within budget is anywhere near as easy as some supporters think. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the reality is that the team that we all expected to be a lower midtable team in a season of transition has proven to be a lower midtable team in a season of transition.

We need to turn around our home form and we need Williams, Massengo and Semenyo fit. 

O'Dowda and Palmer are going nowhere unless somebody agrees to pay their wages, let alone a fee. I'm guessing Simpson and King are here as low cost cover options. Moving them on is all well and good but we'd need to replace them AND stay within budget.

I don't think anyone - either in terms of fans or the management of the club - is under any illusions about where the weaknesses of the team lie. I don't think addressing those weaknesses whilst staying within budget is anywhere near as easy as some supporters think. 

May as well copy this answer as it’s going to need to be used time and time again. People just don’t or don’t want to get what this season is about unfortunately.  

• Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 20:05, Better Red said:

Isn't it the case that Lansdown will not fund it. He has done the same with the Bears. They lost two England internationals who played massive roles last season and neither were replaced. They made no significant signings at all. 

I would suggest that NP still isn’t quite sure which combination of players gives the right balance between any sort of an attack and being able to defend. Can you have Wells, Martin and Weimann as a front 3? What is our best midfield combination if all the players were fit? Do we need 2 or 3 central defenders?

I still think having Bentley as captain is the wrong call as well. Usually you would say a goalkeeper isn’t involved much in the game, so it’s not a good idea. In Bentley’s case, he is too regularly having to focus so much on his own performance to even keep us in games that again it doesn’t seem a good fit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I would suggest that NP still isn’t quite sure which combination of players gives the right balance between any sort of an attack and being able to defend. Can you have Wells, Martin and Weimann as a front 3? What is our best midfield combination if all the players were fit? Do we need 2 or 3 central defenders?

I still think having Bentley as captain is the wrong call as well. Usually you would say a goalkeeper isn’t involved much in the game, so it’s not a good idea. In Bentley’s case, he is too regularly having to focus so much on his own performance to even keep us in games that again it doesn’t seem a good fit.

If that is the case, it’s pretty damning on Pearson.

The lack of leadership on the field is plain to see.