IGNORED

This Squad needs…

Better Red

9 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I would suggest that NP still isn’t quite sure which combination of players gives the right balance between any sort of an attack and being able to defend. Can you have Wells, Martin and Weimann as a front 3? What is our best midfield combination if all the players were fit? Do we need 2 or 3 central defenders?

I still think having Bentley as captain is the wrong call as well. Usually you would say a goalkeeper isn’t involved much in the game, so it’s not a good idea. In Bentley’s case, he is too regularly having to focus so much on his own performance to even keep us in games that again it doesn’t seem a good fit.

I think the Captains role on the field is almost extinct. If a Bobby Kellard type gave a typical player of today a dressing down on the field he would probably be off for 6 months on stress leave.

• Like 1

I think we'll be unlikely to get a new striker in January. At least not one good enough to walk into the first team.  

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong there, but I think this player will only be sourced next summer.

What we could get, and I'd be happy with, is a defensive midfielder.

Matty James is decent in this role, but he isn't fast and he needs a suitable replacement being available from time-to-time. Bakinson doesn't cut it for me and I don't like Vyner in MF and none of our other midfielders particularly fulfil that role of providing a last-ditch barrier in front of our defence.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If that is the case, it’s pretty damning on Pearson.

The lack of leadership on the field is plain to see.

Let's be honest though, you consider everything to be damning on Pearson. Including the weather, the price of petrol and food shortages.

Just admit you want him sacked instead of all these little digs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

22 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

To be functioning as best as it can, in it's various forms, until NP can rebuild completely. 

He started, so lets hope the owner backs him appropriately. 

Otherwise, he's likely to walk, in my opinion. 

Which would be a sad reflection on the club.

Any oaf can buy a new team. I would hope to see a manager earn his salary by the ability to improve what he has. I am not convinced Pearson is really doing this.... I have no idea what sort of football he aspires us to play

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Any oaf can buy a new team. I would hope to see a manager earn his salary by the ability to improve what he has. I am not convinced Pearson is really doing this.... I have no idea what sort of football he aspires us to play

Nice one Cyril! Bit harsh on Mr Lansdown though. Keep the faith!

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think we'll be unlikely to get a new striker in January. At least not one good enough to walk into the first team.  

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong there, but I think this player will only be sourced next summer.

Matty James is decent in this role, but he isn't fast and he needs a suitable replacement being available from time-to-time. Bakinson doesn't cut it for me and I don't like Vyner in MF and none of our other midfielders particularly fulfil that role of providing a last-ditch barrier in front of our defence.

Even on loan RR?

I think our main loss is width, I think we desperately need wide players who can attack and push the opposition back, as well as create chances.

Let's be honest, we have some very good CMs (when fit), and Wells, Weimann and Martin can all score in this division. But we just don't create chances. 

We stick LB Pring on left wing, or are stuck with ODowda. And right hand side bar Semenyo, we start Williams there vs B'Mouth!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I think our main loss is width, I think we desperately need wide players who can attack and push the opposition back, as well as create chances.

Let's be honest, we have some very good CMs (when fit), and Wells, Weimann and Martin can all score in this division. But we just don't create chances. 

We stick LB Pring on left wing, or are stuck with ODowda. And right hand side bar Semenyo, we start Williams there vs B'Mouth!!!! 

For info, Pring was a winger initially, then a WB.

14 hours ago, Selred said:

One thing we lack above all else ???

Pace.

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If either of King or Bakinson are likely to leave in the summer then I agree a defensive midfielder makes sense. Assuming we aren’t in the relegation mire, I’d like to see a Tanner type signing of a player who can do a job this season whilst developing to be a key player for the future.

To be honest, I don’t reckon we’ll get new strikers until Martin and Wells are out of contract.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

If either of King or Bakinson are likely to leave in the summer then I agree a defensive midfielder makes sense. Assuming we aren’t in the relegation mire, I’d like to see a Tanner type signing of a player who can do a job this season whilst developing to be a key player for the future.

To be honest, I don’t reckon we’ll get new strikers until Martin and Wells are out of contract.

Martin OOC in the summer.  Has a year option, but we might not trigger it necessarily.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't think either King or Bakinson do that DM role very well.   In King's case it might just be age catching up with him.  When he's on the pitch with Matty James we have probably two of the slowest midfielders in the division.

I just don't think Bakinson is Championship standard. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't think either King or Bakinson do that DM role very well.   In King's case it might just be age catching up with him.  When he's on the pitch with Matty James we have probably two of the slowest midfielders in the division.

King isn’t a DM….he’s always been a midfielder who likes to get up and around the attackers, contribute goals etc.  Bakinson is a deep midfielder rather than a defensive midfielder, likes to have to play in front of his, but does not have defensive awareness.  James defensive skills are based on reading the game / anticipation and then intensity in closing down the “problem”.

• Like 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Can the player trigger it if he plays a certain number of games? 

Can't remember if I read that somewhere or just imagined it. 

I like him but we desperately need to freshen up the strikers. 

Will depend on the terms.  Quite conceivable that Martin’s one year option has that.  Ashley Williams allegedly had that in his short term deal, although I think City would’ve exercised it regardless.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

King isn’t a DM….he’s always been a midfielder who likes to get up and around the attackers, contribute goals etc.  Bakinson is a deep midfielder rather than a defensive midfielder, likes to have to play in front of his, but does not have defensive awareness.  James defensive skills are based on reading the game / anticipation and then intensity in closing down the “problem”.

Well, exactly. That's the crux of the problem.  To put it simply, we need a new Korey Smith. 

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Well, exactly. That's the crux of the problem.  To put it simply, we need a new Korey Smith. 

Do you know what, I don’t think Korey was either.  Korey was a “rat”, sniffing out trouble anywhere in midfield, tended to play higher than Pack who screened (under Johnson) the CBs.  In his last season here when he returned from injury he did play what we all call DM though.

I agree, a Korey type would be useful.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think Bakinson is a decent player but not a Nigel Pearson player. If we’re aiming for a high intensity team that work hard, put teams in pressure and break quickly then that isn’t Bakinson.

For me, it is not that I don’t rate him but that he and we would be better off   letting him move to a team that suits him rather than trying to make him something he is not.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what, I don’t think Korey was either.  Korey was a “rat”, sniffing out trouble anywhere in midfield, tended to play higher than Pack who screened (under Johnson) the CBs.  In his last season here when he returned from injury he did play what we all call DM though.

Yeah -I always saw Pack as the “sitter”. I thought that was the problem in LJ and Smith’s last season. Neither Nagy and Smith were natural holding players and both would have preferred running around the pitch than sitting deep. Smith did it out of necessity but it did not get the best out of him or the team.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree that Smith rarely sat in midfield.

I think the ‘plan’ was that Nagy replaced Park and Massengo replaced Smith. I’d argue Massengo has that bite, but needs a season or two to develop that.

• Like 2