IGNORED

Could Jay be a budget Kante?

The Original OTIB

• The title was changed to Could Jay be a budget Kante?
10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Hahaha quality forum 

Explain to my why Jay could not do the dirty work in Midfield. In case you had not noticed, a crisis is already evident. Williams - out. Long term? Probably. King - out. Does he look fragile? Yes. Bakinson: do you like how he gets stuck in and tackles? Do you like the way he tracks back? Do you like his overall defensive game? That leaves us with James and Han-Noah, unless you are happy for Weimann to fill in again, or Vyner (not a terrible option) but seemingly out of favour. It's likely that we will have to find a midfiled from somewhere. Is Han-Noah fully fit? Let's hope so. Who other than Jay makes more attempted tackles and completes a high percentage of them, who else can get out of tight areas like he can, who else can dribble with tight control like he can, are there many with better overall pass completion on average? Yes, he has weakenesses, but this is a pretty weak squad overall. If not Jay, who else for you in Midfield or do we go with 2 and/or flog 2 to death? How many times has James played more than 20 games in a season? Go and have a look. Has Han-Noah played a full season yet?  We have a very serious midfield problem that could get very much worse very soon. I don't see any plan to address it. Happy to hear your ideas.

21 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Explain to my why Jay could not do the dirty work in Midfield. In case you had not noticed, a crisis is already evident. Williams - out. Long term? Probably. King - out. Does he look fragile? Yes. Bakinson: do you like how he gets stuck in and tackles? Do you like the way he tracks back? Do you like his overall defensive game? That leaves us with James and Han-Noah, unless you are happy for Weimann to fill in again, or Vyner (not a terrible option) but seemingly out of favour. It's likely that we will have to find a midfiled from somewhere. Is Han-Noah fully fit? Let's hope so. Who other than Jay makes more attempted tackles and completes a high percentage of them, who else can get out of tight areas like he can, who else can dribble with tight control like he can, are there many with better overall pass completion on average? Yes, he has weakenesses, but this is a pretty weak squad overall. If not Jay, who else for you in Midfield or do we go with 2 and/or flog 2 to death? How many times has James played more than 20 games in a season? Go and have a look. Has Han-Noah played a full season yet?  We have a very serious midfield problem that could get very much worse very soon. I don't see any plan to address it. Happy to hear your ideas.

He ain’t very good at left back what makes you think he can do it in CM

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

He ain’t very good at left back what makes you think he can do it in CM

I've just exaplained it above. Do you not see a mifield crisis in play or looming? We simply do not have players who've consistently played 25 + games over 3 to 4 seasons (or are young), rather suggesting that they are not going to magic into 35 to 45 games a season players. Equally, there are already injury issues, some potentially long term again. I'll ask again, in that context, if not Jay, then whom? COD? Palmer? See Bakinson above. Defensively we can be solid, up front we have very little, the middle is on the brink. Give me your solutions please.

• Haha 1

Whilst I don't think this will be remotely possible, I can sort of see what you're getting at. Jay does sometimes seem wasted at left back, it seems the parts of the game needed for that position are things he doesn't have in abundance. He was the only player on Tuesday night that I had any confidence in when receiving a pinged pass or with a man touch tight...he does have a nack of keeping holding of the ball, turning, and opening up play. Whether that would translate into an ability to play in the middle is something I don't think we'll ever see.

I'd like to see him and Pring playing in tandem on the left tbh

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Whilst I don't think this will be remotely possible, I can sort of see what you're getting at. Jay does sometimes seem wasted at left back, it seems the parts of the game needed for that position are things he doesn't have in abundance. He was the only player on Tuesday night that I had any confidence in when receiving a pinged pass or with a man touch tight...he does have a nack of keeping holding of the ball, turning, and opening up play. Whether that would translate into an ability to play in the middle is something I don't think we'll ever see.

I'd like to see him and Pring playing in tandem on the left tbh

What is possible then, given what I see as a Midfield on the brink? Who can step into midfield and be reliable? I guarantee that we will need someone soon.

1 minute ago, underhanded said:

I think you've already said it. Bakinson, COD, Palmer. I think Nige would go for them rather than Jay.

You'd never see a tackle with Bakinson & COD, Palmer would make his trademark slide on his ars*e tackle from time to time, but that is a midfield 3 that would lead to our first 0-5 or similar. I honestly believe that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1