IGNORED

#BristolCity

CiderJar

18 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Is anyone else getting a load of Birmingham City results when searching Twitter for #BristolCity? I may as well just search for #BCFC

image.thumb.png.36017b43037213396a9552d24b61839f.png

West Brom to beat us @ 1.63 is not a bad bet mind.

Yes I always get BCFC news on Twitter, as well as Bristol City. I just delete it/say I’m not interested and say it’s not Bristol City. Twitter can’t differentiate between BCFC and BCFC 

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Must’ve changed their algorithm to include related tweets rather than explicitly what you searched for(?) 

Odd, probably a ploy to get more subtle screen estate for ads

Yes I've been looking at trends and tweets with other similar content has been appearing. Actually really annoying. 

• Like 1

The reason will be because Birmingham also use the BCFC hashtag. It's in their Twitter bio. The way twitter works means it will group common keywords and hashtags that are often searched together.

In this case - lots of people are likely searching for any combination of the following; "BCFC", "#BCFC", "Bristol City", "#BristolCity", "Birmingham City" or "#BirminghamCity". Twitter's algorithm tries to be intelligent and show people related content they think they'll want to see - given that combinations of these searches are commonly searched together, it thinks people searching "#BristolCity" are interested in content concerning "#BCFC" which could relate to either us or Birmingham.

It's a bit annoying, and a drawback of AI making these decisions, but that's the reason why this happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The reason will be because Birmingham also use the BCFC hashtag. It's in their Twitter bio. The way twitter works means it will group common keywords and hashtags that are often searched together.

In this case - lots of people are likely searching for any combination of the following; "BCFC", "#BCFC", "Bristol City", "#BristolCity", "Birmingham City" or "#BirminghamCity". Twitter's algorithm tries to be intelligent and show people related content they think they'll want to see - given that combinations of these searches are commonly searched together, it thinks people searching "#BristolCity" are interested in content concerning "#BCFC" which could relate to either us or Birmingham.

It's a bit annoying, and a drawback of AI making these decisions, but that's the reason why this happens. 

Until very recently it only shown content with your specific search terms, so “BCFC” would show both, but “Bristol City” would only shown us. This seems to have changed in the past month.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Until very recently it only shown content with your specific search terms, so “BCFC” would show both, but “Bristol City” would only shown us. This seems to have changed in the past month.

I've noticed on Twitter lots more "tweets you might be interested in" on my home timeline. Mostly it is exactly the sort of page I would follow so generally been pretty good - I think past month or so as you say it's changed, perhaps they're trying a more to replicate a more intuitive TikTok style "FYP" for your home timeline. The drawback will be more issues like this one with us and Birmingham City. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a recent change though, previously searching for a hashtag only brought up tweets with that hashtag, which was kind of the point of a hashtag and kind of the point of having #BristolCity was to separate it from Birmingham, Bradford and fricking Bath City.

It is a form of #GasLogic, take something that identifies something uniquely and recombine it with all of the things that it might be possibly related to. Google has gone a similar way because the more you refine your search the more it wants to generalise it. #WhatALoadOfBollocks

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

You're better of just searching Bristol City rather than using the # you get all the posts with people talking about City rather than people who just use the #

True and you also get every tweet about bins from Bristol City Council as well as these little gems

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Fordy6. i have read some of your stuff you have to understand its a forum. People have there opinions. you dont seem to like anything people put on here. 

@Fordy62 was making a joke. It made I laugh. Please don't be offended on my behalf.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Robin 1