IGNORED

Great Alan Dicks anecdote in the EP

CodeRed

Brilliant to see AD on form at 87 years of age and this snippet sums up one of our heroes. Talking about knocking Leeds out of the cup:

"Dicks recalled: “In the first game at Ashton Gate I heard Don Revie in the opposite dug-out signalling to Bremner, pointing and saying ‘the number four’.

“I didn’t know what he meant, but the next time Bremner and Gow challenged for the ball, Billy went in with his foot really high, only to realise that Gerry had his even higher!"

Bremner was the hard man of the dirty Leeds team who dishes it out to all the 1st Division stars 

Gerry was just 20 years old and feared no one.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

There should be a statue of AD At Ashton Gate..............and also some kind of tribute to Gerry Gow.   GG was immense, his combination of toughness and skill would be worth a fortune in todays transfer market. What an outstanding player. 

Absolutely bemused why the South stand isn’t called the Alan Dicks stand & also done whilst the great man is still with us & agree GG should have something in tribute, too.

• Like 8

Great anecdote but what surprised me was Dicks saying “10 or 12 years ago, I offered my services to the club again but was politely declined”. Reading between the lines, does anyone else think that he threw his hat in to succeed either GJ or Coppell? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

Great anecdote but what surprised me was Dicks saying “10 or 12 years ago, I offered my services to the club again but was politely declined”. Reading between the lines, does anyone else think that he threw his hat in to succeed either GJ or Coppell? 

Doubt it - he was in his late 70s back then - a bit difficult to start again in management at that age after such a long time out of the game - perhaps he meant in an advisory capacity ...

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely bemused why the South stand isn’t called the Alan Dicks stand & also done whilst the great man is still with us & agree GG should have something in tribute, too.

I’ve always thought Terry Cooper and Alan Dicks both deserve some high profile recognition at the stadium - such a shame that dear old Terry has passed away before this could happen - perhaps one of them could have a statue and the other could have The South Stand named after him ...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, maxjak said:

There should be a statue of AD At Ashton Gate..............and also some kind of tribute to Gerry Gow.   GG was immense, his combination of toughness and skill would be worth a fortune in todays transfer market. What an outstanding player. 

It amazing to think Gerry ended up working in a supermarket later in life. If he had been playing today he would have been a regular Scotland international and would have commaned wages that would have set him and his family up for life. Such a pity that a first class pro like Gerry was born in the wrong generation to be a footballer but then again he wouldn't have played for us for over ten years if he was about today.

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The Dicks Stand has certain linguistic complications. Maybe just a statue should be, erm, erected. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, tin said:

The story was reported in the EP at the time so I guess it must be true. 

15 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Totally agree AD and TC should have some recognition with a stand named after each . And GG def. deserves a statue. Was lucky enough to have watched us under dicks and cooper and was great times for different reasons. Always loved the gow prince  battles on those local derbys back then 

How many sides do we have? Atyeo Dolman Lansdown.

Maybe the High Performance center the Heineken lounge etc can be renamed. 

GG statue would be good. Where abouts?

5 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

It amazing to think Gerry ended up working in a supermarket later in life. If he had been playing today he would have been a regular Scotland international and would have commaned wages that would have set him and his family up for life. Such a pity that a first class pro like Gerry was born in the wrong generation to be a footballer but then again he wouldn't have played for us for over ten years if he was about today.

That last bit is quote of the week. I’m not sure some under 50 realize how good a player he was. FFS he actually scored from midfield just for starters. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CodeRed said:

but the next time Bremner and Gow challenged for the ball, Billy went in with his foot really high, only to realise that Gerry had his even higher!"

When the draw was made someone said to Gerry G "That means you'll be up against Bremner". When I heard Gow's reply, I knew we were going to win; "Well I'm a Scot aren't I and I'm as good as him aren't I"?

23 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Strange, I remember many games where "Dicks out" rang around AG before he got it right!!

I remember my old man telling me that the one star Evening Post once carried the back page headline "It will be hard Dicks", which was changed to "It will be tough Dicks" for the three star edition ?

On 21/10/2021 at 21:56, maxjak said:

GG was immense, his combination of toughness and skill would be worth a fortune in todays transfer market. 

Autumn 1980 City were struggling for cash. Gerry Gow was transferred to Manchester City for £180,000 (as it was aa take it or leave it offer, to raise some capital. At the end of the season, he played in the F.A. Cup final for his new team and at the end of his career, he returned to the West Country and had managerial spells with Yeovil Town and Weymouth. At Weymouth he endured so much abuse he walked away from the game.