IGNORED

Tomorrow

GrahamC

29 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

IF (a big IF too) we win tomorrow, what can be done about the home record as it has to be a 'mental' thing?

Why can't we play at the Gate? Are we cursed, too comfortable, do the players freeze in front of their own fans?

Along with most, I have no idea but it's both frustrating and very worrying.

I think it’s become a psychological thing now. People talk about the importance of belief, successful teams have that belief that they’ll win. At home, especially last 10 minutes, we look like a side that believes it’s going to lose. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I think it’s become a psychological thing now. People talk about the importance of belief, successful teams have that belief that they’ll win. At home, especially last 10 minutes, we look like a side that believes it’s going to lose. 

Totally agree with your last sentence. Spot on for me

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah true about some of those players being under LJ that are not here now. 

But I disagree that this is a bottom half squad. Performances have been for sure and should be lower than 16th imo as we've had some amazing luck in games we have deserved to lose or not win. People will say how about the last minute goals we conceded, that's not bad luck imo. I think we deserved to concede those goals.

Individually on ability many of these players would be snapped up by decent championship sides if we were to let them go imo.

Looking at quality of players in all the teams in the championship I don't see why we should be struggling. Not saying we are in a relegation battle, but we are struggling to perform and who knows if we don't start playing better that is certainly a possibility, though even I think that won't happen as long as we don't get too many more injuries.

Like I said yesterday, Forest had 1 point in 7 games and were bottom of the table under Hughton. Since sacking him with the exact same players they have won 5, drawn 1, lost 0.

They have the same players that Hughton had, I assume they haven't had the chance to sign anyone as the window had shut when Hughton was sacked.

It shows what good coaching using a different approach can do. Turning a team that look like they might go down into the top in form side in the division.

It is early to be too harsh on Pearson. It's not all been bad. And we really need Williams and Semenyo back. But I do wonder what approach a different manager would have gone with. 

For example Mark Robins would have had us playing very differently I'm sure. Not saying sack Pearson, but just using that as an example that the managers approach is the biggest thing which I have not always been impressed with so far about Nige.

Really hope he improves things as I do like him. Knowing us we will probably go and get a decent result in our next game and then lose and look awful at home to a struggling Barnsley! ?

Excellent and spot on post.

24 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

28 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Especially when half the crowd think it's a great laugh to sing "you must be shit, we're winning at home"..

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

LJ had to sell his best players and replace them with (mostly) inferior ones.

You're right in that LJ had to sell players, but don't be fooled into thinking he didn't want any of the "mostly (inferior) ones" he did sign. He was the head coach and could've said "no" to Ashton or done the principled thing as resigned if Ashton was buying players without his input. LJ insisted on the signings of Brownhill and Webster, he could've vetoed signing the likes of Diony or Palmer (to name just two) if he really wanted to but he wanted his clubs in the bag. All my opinion, of course.

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That 4-2 game in 2018 was odd because we actually played really well for the most part and created a lot of chances, but had a defensive meltdown for about 15 minutes in the first half which left us trailing 3-0.

The home game in April save for the scoreline was a bit of a mirror image in some ways- yes they had more pressure than we did up there ultimately but 3-0 up in 20-25 mins. Blitzed them in a period in the 1st half. 3-2 rather than 4-2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who said he was referring to Palmer and O’Dowda as passengers?  He said very positive things about Palmer after he asked to play in the U23s, and he brought O’Dowda straight back in after injury.

Before slagging off the players or losing patience, Pearson needs to have a long hard look at himself.  The notion that the players are simply not doing what this notion ‘hard man of football’ is training to do is frankly laughable.

If the players are not performing to the best of their ability, then the problem lies with the management and coaching staff.

Maybe I’m old fashioned but when I had a bad game I always looked at myself rather than the Manager. If the  Manager told me to do something that just wasn’t working then I’d look at the Manager. Or do we now live in a world where we mess up the kick off after conceding and where Nathan Baker loses his head and Dan Bentley parries a shot he is capable of holding straight to Lyle Taylor and it’s the Managers fault? That doesn’t make sense to me I’ll be honest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

But I disagree that this is a bottom half squad. Performances have been for sure and should be lower than 16th imo as we've had some amazing luck in games we have deserved to lose or not win. People will say how about the last minute goals we conceded, that's not bad luck imo. I think we deserved to concede those goals.

I think the likes of COD, KP, Bakinson, Vyner and to a lesser extent Baker, Weimann and JD have all been part of squads that have "underperformed" for LJ, Holden and seemingly now NP. That's not a coincidence, IMO. I don't think conceding last-minute goals is bad luck either; it's been going on for years and various managers have failed to stop it. Maybe a sports psychologist might get to the bottom of that. 

Individually on ability many of these players would be snapped up by decent championship sides if we were to let them go imo.

Looking at quality of players in all the teams in the championship I don't see why we should be struggling. Not saying we are in a relegation battle, but we are struggling to perform and who knows if we don't start playing better that is certainly a possibility, though even I think that won't happen as long as we don't get too many more injuries.

Really? I think even if we had a fully-fit squad, we'd be a winger or two and a striker short of being a play-off chasing side, and the strength in depth simply isn't there in this current squad. Too many players make individual errors on a consistent basis. To add context, bar the Bournemouth game, I actually think performances have been better than last year. In August, I said survival would be a good result this year. That's still the case now. 

Like I said yesterday, Forest had 1 point in 7 games and were bottom of the table under Hughton. Since sacking him with the exact same players they have won 5, drawn 1, lost 0. They have the same players that Hughton had, I assume they haven't had the chance to sign anyone as the window had shut when Hughton was sacked. It shows what good coaching using a different approach can do. Turning a team that look like they might go down into the top in form side in the division.

Cooper's a good coach, we know that, but he might be benefitting from the new manager bounce factor. Let's see if they keep these results up. Forest also have better footballers than us, IMO. Players that look after the ball better, that manage the game better, that have pace and offer a bit of width. I'm not saying they're world-beaters, but I think Cooper has more to work with there than we've got here. 

It is early to be too harsh on Pearson. It's not all been bad. And we really need Williams and Semenyo back. But I do wonder what approach a different manager would have gone with. For example Mark Robins would have had us playing very differently I'm sure. Not saying sack Pearson, but just using that as an example that the managers approach is the biggest thing which I have not always been impressed with so far about Nige. Really hope he improves things as I do like him. Knowing us we will probably go and get a decent result in our next game and then lose and look awful at home to a struggling Barnsley! ?

It is too early but we're ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage and that boils down to individual expectation. Whether it's Robins or Guardiola, I don't think anyone would've got much more out of this current squad. But I recognise we're in transition, it will take time to evolve, we can't keep chopping and changing managers, and even if it doesn't work out with NP, I think he'll leave us in a far better position than when he joined us. 

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Edited by tin
  • Like 1

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-flashback-rollercoaster-ride-6094759

Dunno if anyone has posted it.

Plus from the same article.

0_West-Bromv-City-1999-2jpeg.jpg

We had some unlucky times- that -2 pts, then the week before Sunderland at home- last minute penalty, then the Birmingham game in April that put our late rally against the drop to bed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swede said:

This would've definitely been a game for Andy King. We need that protection in midfield which was painfully lacking against Forest. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zak Vyner played there.

JD looked tired on Tuesday and Martin didn't hold up much and his mobility comes into question. Balls into channels not just humped aimlessly. 

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Vyner

COD HNM James Pring

Weimann Wells

Agreed- but remember we've flogged him somewhat this season and at times the same last season. Although he got the flick on in the move that ultimately led to our goal.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Swede said:

This would've definitely been a game for Andy King. We need that protection in midfield which was painfully lacking against Forest. I wouldn't be surprised to see Zak Vyner played there.

JD looked tired on Tuesday and Martin didn't hold up much and his mobility comes into question. Balls into channels not just humped aimlessly. 

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Vyner

COD HNM James Pring

Weimann Wells

As they play 3-4-3, I'd only want Wells up top to be honest. Give them something to worry about when pushing the back 3 up. They won't give a toss about Martin getting in behind so rightly benched and Andi's been crap recently. Needs a wake up call. I agree about Vyner but whould have him central with James behind to link things. I'd start with Scott for Weimann as the 10, Tanner over COD right side. 

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Vyner

COD HNM James Pring

Weimann Wells

As they play 3-4-3, I'd only want Wells up top to be honest. Give them something to worry about when pushing the back 3 up. They won't give a toss about Martin getting in behind so rightly benched and Andi's been crap recently. Needs a wake up call. I agree about Vyner but whould have him central with James behind to link things. I'd start with Scott for Weimann as the 10, Tanner over COD right side. 

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Bentley

Kalas Atkinson Baker

Vyner

COD HNM James Pring

Weimann Wells

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-flashback-rollercoaster-ride-6094759

We had some unlucky times- that -2 pts, then the week before Sunderland at home- last minute penalty, then the Birmingham game in April that put our late rally against the drop to bed.

I remember that day well. Am I right in thinking that's the last time we got anything from the Hawthorns, 22 years and 8 months ago?

I think we need both Pring and JD on the left, whether that be a 4411, 451 or even a 541.

Then we probably have to play Weimann on Tanner's side as Williams is injured and Massengo needed in the middle.

I just think wide areas need protection.

Then I guess Martin up top for his hurly burly (sorry Wells fans).

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think we need both Pring and JD on the left, whether that be a 4411, 451 or even a 541.

Then we probably have to play Weimann on Tanner's side as Williams is injured and Massengo needed in the middle.

I just think wide areas need protection.

Then I guess Martin up top for his hurly burly (sorry Wells fans).

I'm not fully sold on a back 3, as it can leave a side exposed in wide areas. As you say, the wide areas need some protecton.

Something like...Weimann defo not a winger but a wide midfielder.

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson DaSilva/Pring

Weimann  Massengo James Pring/DaSilva

Scott

Wells

Far from perfect I know, ideally I'd hope for 3 in there centrally but King and Williams are injured, plus nobody seems to trust Bakinson.

I dunno could Scott pull wide right in certain phases and Weimann go central behind Wells- he played central behind Martin at Reading away I seem to recall?

Could play Weimann as a more advanced CM, and have Scott wide right with Pring and DaSilva as the left side in whatever order.

Martin I dunno, played 13...keep playing him from the start week in week out and we'll break him.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Like I said yesterday, Forest had 1 point in 7 games and were bottom of the table under Hughton. Since sacking him with the exact same players they have won 5, drawn 1, lost 0.

They have the same players that Hughton had, I assume they haven't had the chance to sign anyone as the window had shut when Hughton was sacked.

It shows what good coaching using a different approach can do. Turning a team that look like they might go down into the top in form side in the division.

It is early to be too harsh on Pearson. It's not all been bad. And we really need Williams and Semenyo back. But I do wonder what approach a different manager would have gone with. 

For example Mark Robins would have had us playing very differently I'm sure. Not saying sack Pearson, but just using that as an example that the managers approach is the biggest thing which I have not always been impressed with so far about Nige.

Really hope he improves things as I do like him. Knowing us we will probably go and get a decent result in our next game and then lose and look awful at home to a struggling Barnsley! ?

Remember that when Holden first took over we were top of the league for a while, new manager "bounce" doesn't always equate to long term success.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not fully sold on a back 3, as it can leave a side exposed in wide areas. As you say, the wide areas need some protecton.

Bentley

Scott

Wells

Far from perfect I know, ideally I'd hope for 3 in there centrally but King and Williams are injured, plus nobody seems to trust Bakinson.

I dunno could Scott pull wide right in certain phases and Weimann go central behind Wells- he played central behind Martin at Reading away I seem to recall?

Could play Weimann as a more advanced CM, and have Scott wide right with Pring and DaSilva as the left side in whatever order.

Martin I dunno, played 13...keep playing him from the start week in week out and we'll break him.

Yes I agree with that. I do think Martin will get the nod over Wells (if they don't both play) just because we face a physical team.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes I agree with that. I do think Martin will get the nod over Wells (if they don't both play) just because we face a physical team.

WBA are susceptible to the ball over the top so we need Wells starting IMO as compared to Martin he has pace and the ability to run onto a ball. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Loved Akinbiyi. How to have someone like that playing for us now

I hate the saying 'free hit' but this is pretty much one of those. 

I don't mean that as f@ck it lets just get this over with. I mean let us go out there and really have a go. Defending 0-0 is only going to end one way so I'd really like to see us come out the traps early and set out an attacking intent. Appreciate this could back fire but having a go would be preferable than sitting back. Tin hat time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

You're right in that LJ had to sell players, but don't be fooled into thinking he didn't want any of the "mostly (inferior) ones" he did sign. He was the head coach and could've said "no" to Ashton or done the principled thing as resigned if Ashton was buying players without his input. LJ insisted on the signings of Brownhill and Webster, he could've vetoed signing the likes of Diony or Palmer (to name just two) if he really wanted to but he wanted his clubs in the bag. All my opinion, of course.

Makes you wonder how many he said no to before some of those signings.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

bottom half / top half is too big a range imho….hence why I’d say we are a “middle eight” squad.  Imho, we are in a batch of clubs who are very unlikely to get into playoffs, but not should we be a in full-blown relegation battle.  In a weird way I think middle-eight is 10-11 teams, but it’s easier for me to think in three groups of eigh teams.  Does that make sense?  Bottom half is 13th too.  That’s actually the position I predicted we would finish pre-season.  That’s about right innit?

What do you define as “decent”?  Middling teams on paper, like us?  If so, then I agree.  If you mean top eight teams, I’d say a few might be snapped up (Bentley, Kalas, Massengo…a fit Williams????).

At some point OTIB needs a fully agreed glossary of terms to define “decent”, “quality”, “bang-average”, “top team”, etc. ? We all have slight differences of what we mean by them.

Interesting we’ve played 9 out of the top 12 and 4 of the bottom 12.  Yeah, the table changes every week, but it’s worth just being conscious of that.  Not saying it’s all defining or anything like that.

Think it depends how he evaluated what he had here.  My defence of Nige goes beyond what is just happening on the pitch.  He’s performing a wider role than the previous head-coaches in the old set up.  He’s putting other stuff in place too.  We can of course judge purely on the green-grass, and I’m a tad disappointed in that respect, but a bit like O’Driscoll there’s a bigger picture in play, and the “results” off the pitch are a slow burn on it.

Comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Good post though.

3 hours ago, VT05763 said:

LJ had to sell his best players and replace them with (mostly) inferior ones.

Secondary question - why did he have to sell his best players?  One part of the answer is because “he” (the collective involved in recruitment, not just LJ) wasted a shedload on fees and wages, etc on players.  You can bring in circa £22m net in 19/20 selling Webster, Pack and Brownhill (best players) but he still spent circa £25 (inferior players) replacing them:

image.png.263b26e44db06a66693885a5c17c1c09.png

I don’t buy the LJ sob story.  Sell 3 or 4 players, buy / loan 17 players….fees alone were greater than he netted, plus 17 players wages are astronomically greater than the outgoing players.

Im sure you’ve seen the various accounts posts / excel pics I’ve put up.

If he sold Webster, Pack and Brownhill and just replaced 1 for 1 with say Kalas, Massengo and Nagy, I’d say he deserved time to transition those two midfielders in (Kalas already acclimatised via loan).

One of my mates, formerly ITK, and LJ’s most ardent fans (and Ashton hater) surprised me when he eluded to which players he thought we LJ signings and which ones weren’t.  I was surprised.  Palmer was an LJ signing according to him. ??‍♂️

My usual caveat is; recruitment was a collective.  I hold fault in the collective.  That does not mean Ashton is the devil incarnate, but it doesn’t absolve LJ either.

It pisses me off when I see “LJ had to sell his best players”.

Karl Robinson at MKD used to moan at Cotts for having an expensive squad.  However Cotts kept costs down (to an extent, we were still one of the bigger spenders I’m not denying that) by having a small squad.  Robinson ran with a squad of 30+ players.  He wasted funds that way.

2 hours ago, tin said:

Agree.  See above.  As per a post to @Silvio Dante last night - if you don’t want to be forced to sell your best players, don’t buy crap, and loads of it.  Don’t hedge your bets on 2 or 3 players, do your due diligence on one.

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Agree with much of the sentiment of this.

My pre-game Cardiff analysis was - don’t let the side CBs and WBs pump passes from just inside their half forward with pressure on the passer.  If they have time to pick a target and get it in the right area with runners, we will be onto a hiding.  If we can pressure the passer we pick up balls with them out of position, over-committed.  We did that pretty well v Cardiff.

Therefore I question Wells’s ability to do that on his own.  Depends how other help him.  A front 2 of him and Weimann could run around like looneys in the press and would stop a lot of danger.  The second benefit is to latch onto our passes in behind them / channels, which is where I totally agree with you.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bentley

Scott

Wells

I’m not sold either, although I see the benefits of 3 of our better performers (Kalas, Baker and Atkinson) being in the eleven.  Tomorrow, having thought a bit more since Forever BC podcast, there’s a part of me that says back 4 (even Baker at LB), so we can have 6 other players pressing the direct passer.

We will see tomorrow at 14:00.

In that respect would I mind?

Bentley

Tanner | Kalas | Atkinson | Baker

Massengo | Vyner | James | Pring

Scott (Weimann) | Wells

Nope, but I doubt very much that will be the team.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Good post though.

Secondary question - why did he have to sell his best players?  One part of the answer is because “he” (the collective involved in recruitment, not just LJ) wasted a shedload on fees and wages, etc on players.  You can bring in circa £22m net in 19/20 selling Webster, Pack and Brownhill (best players) but he still spent circa £25 (inferior players) replacing them:

image.png.263b26e44db06a66693885a5c17c1c09.png

I don’t buy the LJ sob story.  Sell 3 or 4 players, buy / loan 17 players….fees alone were greater than he netted, plus 17 players wages are astronomically greater than the outgoing players.

Im sure you’ve seen the various accounts posts / excel pics I’ve put up.

If he sold Webster, Pack and Brownhill and just replaced 1 for 1 with say Kalas, Massengo and Nagy, I’d say he deserved time to transition those two midfielders in (Kalas already acclimatised via loan).

One of my mates, formerly ITK, and LJ’s most ardent fans (and Ashton hater) surprised me when he eluded to which players he thought we LJ signings and which ones weren’t.  I was surprised.  Palmer was an LJ signing according to him. ??‍♂️

My usual caveat is; recruitment was a collective.  I hold fault in the collective.  That does not mean Ashton is the devil incarnate, but it doesn’t absolve LJ either.

It pisses me off when I see “LJ had to sell his best players”.

Karl Robinson at MKD used to moan at Cotts for having an expensive squad.  However Cotts kept costs down (to an extent, we were still one of the bigger spenders I’m not denying that) by having a small squad.  Robinson ran with a squad of 30+ players.  He wasted funds that way.

Agree.  See above.  As per a post to @Silvio Dante last night - if you don’t want to be forced to sell your best players, don’t buy crap, and loads of it.  Don’t hedge your bets on 2 or 3 players, do your due diligence on one.

Agree with much of the sentiment of this.

My pre-game Cardiff analysis was - don’t let the side CBs and WBs pump passes from just inside their half forward with pressure on the passer.  If they have time to pick a target and get it in the right area with runners, we will be onto a hiding.  If we can pressure the passer we pick up balls with them out of position, over-committed.  We did that pretty well v Cardiff.

Therefore I question Wells’s ability to do that on his own.  Depends how other help him.  A front 2 of him and Weimann could run around like looneys in the press and would stop a lot of danger.  The second benefit is to latch onto our passes in behind them / channels, which is where I totally agree with you.

I’m not sold either, although I see the benefits of 3 of our better performers (Kalas, Baker and Atkinson) being in the eleven.  Tomorrow, having thought a bit more since Forever BC podcast, there’s a part of me that says back 4 (even Baker at LB), so we can have 6 other players pressing the direct passer.

We will see tomorrow at 14:00.

In that respect would I mind?

Bentley

Tanner | Kalas | Atkinson | Baker

Massengo | Vyner | James | Pring

Scott (Weimann) | Wells

Nope, but I doubt very much that will be the team.

Why have you only mentioned 3 of the sales ?  Reid, Bryan and Kelly for example. Are you only talking about a part of LJs tenure ?

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dave - I genuinely can’t remember a conversation like that last night. Can you point me to it???

11 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Why have you only mentioned 3 of the sales ?  Reid, Bryan and Kelly for example. Are you only talking about a part of LJs tenure ?

Because I took one season.  Why?

It was The season we received the most transfer income (not net per se).

It was This season that included sales of players he signed.

It was the season that as a worst case shows scattergun recruitment, clubs in the bag approach of quantity over quality….and why I don’t like the LJ sympathy card.

Edited by Davefevs