IGNORED

Tomorrow

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because I took one season.  Why?

It was The season we received the most transfer income (not net per se).

It was This season that included sales of players he signed.

It was the season that as a worst case shows scattergun recruitment, clubs in the bag approach of quantity over quality.

Oh I see, not a full account of players sales and signings of the LJ era - makes sense. Thanks

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️ Good post though.

Secondary question - why did he have to sell his best players?  One part of the answer is because “he” (the collective involved in recruitment, not just LJ) wasted a shedload on fees and wages, etc on players.  You can bring in circa £22m net in 19/20 selling Webster, Pack and Brownhill (best players) but he still spent circa £25 (inferior players) replacing them:

image.png.263b26e44db06a66693885a5c17c1c09.png

I don’t buy the LJ sob story.  Sell 3 or 4 players, buy / loan 17 players….fees alone were greater than he netted, plus 17 players wages are astronomically greater than the outgoing players.

Im sure you’ve seen the various accounts posts / excel pics I’ve put up.

If he sold Webster, Pack and Brownhill and just replaced 1 for 1 with say Kalas, Massengo and Nagy, I’d say he deserved time to transition those two midfielders in (Kalas already acclimatised via loan).

One of my mates, formerly ITK, and LJ’s most ardent fans (and Ashton hater) surprised me when he eluded to which players he thought we LJ signings and which ones weren’t.  I was surprised.  Palmer was an LJ signing according to him. ??‍♂️

My usual caveat is; recruitment was a collective.  I hold fault in the collective.  That does not mean Ashton is the devil incarnate, but it doesn’t absolve LJ either.

It pisses me off when I see “LJ had to sell his best players”.

Karl Robinson at MKD used to moan at Cotts for having an expensive squad.  However Cotts kept costs down (to an extent, we were still one of the bigger spenders I’m not denying that) by having a small squad.  Robinson ran with a squad of 30+ players.  He wasted funds that way.

Agree.  See above.  As per a post to @Silvio Dante 

In that respect would I mind?

Bentley

Tanner | Kalas | Atkinson | Baker

Massengo | Vyner | James | Pring

Scott (Weimann) | Wells

Nope, but I doubt very much that will be the team.

Sorry who's this "Vyner" guy you've included in that line up...?

• Haha 1